Windows 10: Is there a "retail" version of Windows 10 available for purchase?

Discus and support Is there a "retail" version of Windows 10 available for purchase? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; "Retail" versions of Windows 7 can be installed multiple times on new hardware or motherboards, as long as it's only one PC per license. Is there an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ignatzatsonic, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Is there a "retail" version of Windows 10 available for purchase?

"Retail" versions of Windows 7 can be installed multiple times on new hardware or motherboards, as long as it's only one PC per license.

Is there an equivalent version of Windows 10 that carries the same privileges?

I am NOT referring to the "free upgrade" or upgrading from a pre-existing Windows 7 or 8.1 license.

I mean a stand-alone product that can be installed on a bare metal hard drive when the purchaser has never owned any prior version of Windows. And can continue to be installed as the purchaser cycles through various hardware/motherboard changes into the future.

Does the product in the following link meet the criteria of allowing multiple motherboard changes?

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro | Download: Software

No mention of OEM, no mention of System Builder. But I don't see the term "retail" in the description.

Even if it qualifies, it's a download. Is there a DVD or USB equivalent? What's the SKU?

I thought I had read that "retail" versions as previously known for Windows 7 had been done away with for Windows 10, but I need clarification on the limitations of certain products.

If there still are "retail" versions of Windows 10, how can I identify them? Just avoid anything that says "OEM" or "System Builder"? Or?

:)

ignatzatsonic, Jan 4, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jan 4, 2016
  3. vilu85 Win User
    " Waiting for approval " until when !????

It means that it's waiting for approval from your operator and it has nothing to do with Nokia.

You could call your operator and ask about this approval, someone in technical service may know that how long it takes to approve the newest firmware. (For some reason, every operator has to approve the firmware updates and only after that their clients
    can do the update)

vilu85, Jan 4, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Is there a "retail" version of Windows 10 available for purchase?

Yes, a retail version of Windows 10 is available in Home and Pro, 32 and/or 64 bit. Home is $109 and Pro is $199.

A retail version can be installed on any computer that will run it as long as it's installed on only one computer at a time.

The one on Amazon you point to is retail. You can download the ISO or have them send you a flash drive with the ISO on it ready for install.

If you download, Rufus is a good choice to use the create your own installable flash drive.

If you look at the side of the Flash drive Pro box it says Pro Full Version.

Ztruker, Jan 4, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    If you buy Windows 10 from Microsoft Store, it is the retail version if it is not specifically mentioned it is an OEM version. You can get it on USB if you need physical install media instead of an ISO. The original Microsoft Windows 10 USB install media contains both bit versions.

At the moment Microsoft does not directly sell OEM or System Builder versions to consumers. You can buy OEM for instance from Newegg: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Newegg.com ($139.99 + $2.99 shipping)

Kari, Jan 4, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Kari, that one is $139. The one linked to on Amazon is $199 so I'm sure it's the "Retail" version.
    The Pro version from MS is also $199 which matches the Amazon one.

Ztruker, Jan 4, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Absolutely no idea what you are talking about? I gave links to Microsoft Store for Pro and Home Retail versions ($199.99 and $119.99 respectively), and thereafter link to Windows 10 Pro OEM at Newegg at $139.99.

Please could you tell what was / is wrong in my post?

Kari, Jan 4, 2016
  8. nt62 Win User

@ignatzatsonic

Your Amazon link shows a retail purchase of the Windows 10 Pro flash drive.
    You probably have to choose which one you want.

I bought a Windows 10 Pro flash drive (thumb etc...) device from the Microsoft Store by telephone purchase.
    Called their sales number and ordered a flash drive which was delivered.
    I think it is the so-called retail version. It was delivered in a box along with the product key.
    I did pay $199 plus tax / shipping = ~ somewhere about $210. US dollars

Microsoft Store - Sales and support

License Transferring:
    Installing to a different motherboard requires deactivation of a license.
    You will need to call Microsoft and ask if you can have a license transferred.

How to transfer a Microsoft license

nt62, Jan 4, 2016
  9. managed to have a brain freeze and posted in wrong post

pitbullpup, Jan 4, 2016
  10. Why are you sure?

Because the Amazon price matches the MS Store price?

I'm not doubting, I'm sincerely asking.

If I see Windows 10 Pro non-OEM, non-System Builder, for 177.99, should I infer something about that product, based on the price?

Have SKUs been discontinued?

Is it mere coincidence that the prices match? Historically, prices for completely legit Windows had significant price variation, depending on the vendor.

It appears Newegg prices match to the penny also:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Full Version USB Flash Drive - Newegg.com

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Full Version USB Flash Drive - Newegg.com

I see that the Newegg descriptions use the word "full". Amazon does not use that term. Nor do I see that term at the Microsoft Store.

I'm just seeking clarity. I always build my own PCs and typically upgrade all hardware periodically.

Are there any bona fide Microsoft links where this confusion regarding terminology is explained?

11. nt62 Win User
    OEM vs Full Version - Microsoft Community

Page down on the link for details.
    The terminology is the same as in 2009.

Hope it's ok to link to "Microsoft Answers"

Almost out of time, here. Using mobile hotspot is expensive.
    Will have to get out and find free wifi in the future.
    Signing off.

12. NT:

The newest comment in that link is over 4 years old and applies to Windows 7, when the term "Retail" was used by vendors and SKUs were commonplace.

I'm looking for current and definitive information since Windows 10 was released--something from the last few months.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

Like this?:
    Windows system builder licensing for personal use

From a bona fide Microsoft website it is interesting to note:
    "Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.*"

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Jan 4, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Is there a "retail" version of Windows 10 available for purchase? - Similar Threads - retail version available

2. Is retail key available for windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is retail key available for windows 10 ?: I want retail key for windows 10Is retail key available for windows 10 ? or OEMdigital only available for windows 10 at Microsoft site.if retail key is not available for windows 10 at Microsoft site,where can I purchase?...
  3. Is retail key available for windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is retail key available for windows 10 ?: I want retail key for windows 10Is retail key available for windows 10 ? or OEMdigital only available for windows 10 at Microsoft site.if retail key is not available for windows 10 at Microsoft site,where can I purchase?...
  4. Is retail key available for windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Transfer an OLD windows license Retail version to a newly purchased PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer an OLD windows license Retail version to a newly purchased PC: Hi I recently assembled a new PC and installed windows10 Pro. Presently the window is not activated. I have an OLD laptop purchased 6 years back with a windows 8.1 Now recently upgraded to windows10 single language. Surprisingly when I run the code slmgr /dli in old...
  6. Windows 10 Retail Version

Windows 10 Retail Version: Can I Install Windows 10 Retail Version(Purchased) in multiple PC at a time? If so, how many times can I do that and how to install that product to another laptop with the same product key?...
  7. Purchasing Windows 10 Retail License

Purchasing Windows 10 Retail License: Hi I need to know is their any provision windows is selling a retail key of Windows 10 for lifetime validity I had found a guy on e-commerce site selling the Genuine Windows 10 Key at Rs. 299 Is this Genuine Or Someone is taking Advantage of Microsoft Name in India ....
  8. Purchased Win 10 Pro off Ebay, but it was not Retail version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Purchased Win 10 Pro off Ebay, but it was not Retail version: Ok, so I purchased Win 10 Pro off of Ebay because I was looking for it somewhere cheaper. This is the link: Microsoft Window 10 Pro USB 3.0 32/64 Bit Full Version FQC-08788 Retail Sealed 885370903904 | eBay I checked the product key with ShowKeyPlus and it showed Win 10 RTM...
  9. windows 10 retail version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 retail version: hi, please can some one help me i have a retail copy of windows 10 that i purchased at a pc store its still unopened . the question i have is its been on my shelf about a year, will i still be able to use it at some point? thank you, *Smile 94340
  10. Retail version of 10 pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version of 10 pro: I've noticed that retail versions of 10 are available, do the purchasers have the same rights to chop and change as was possible with older Windows? 41814