Windows 10: Is there a way to a clear USB cache file?

Discus and support Is there a way to a clear USB cache file? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; There was a great post in the SevenForums titled "General Fix for USB Driver Problems". I can follow all of the steps in that post on my Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TBCGuy, Jun 22, 2016.

1. TBCGuy Win User

Is there a way to a clear USB cache file?

There was a great post in the SevenForums titled "General Fix for USB Driver Problems". I can follow all of the steps in that post on my Windows 10 machines except for deleting the INFCACHE.1 file. Is there the equivalent to the INFCACHE.1 file in Windows 10 that contains USB driver info? Is there an equivalent (or better) process for cleaning up USB driver problems/conflicts in Windows 10?

I work with/repair USB devices and can have over a dozen different devices a day plugged into my computer. I regularly clean out the hidden devices in my device manager, but have had a few conflicts I can't resolve and am wondering if I am missing a USB cache file that needs to be rebuilt.

Thanks so much!

:)

TBCGuy, Jun 22, 2016

2. Is there a way to clear the Messaging App's cache w/o uninstalling the app?

I use Nokia's Messaging app to access my Gmail account. I delete what I don't want and leave what I want to keep in my acct. The phone is setup to retain only 3 days of emails.

I was hoping there was a way to free up any sort of space that is being occupied by the Messaging App w/o uninstalling it every other month or so. When I was running out of memory last week there were no other apps running and I cleared the web browser
    cache several times only to free up at most 1mb. It was only after
    uninstalling the Messaging App did I regain over 40mb of free space.

happyscott, Jun 22, 2016
  3. hadimassa Win User
    Is there a way to clear the Messaging App's cache w/o uninstalling the app?

Clean out your mailboxes on a regular basis and cache of the browser. Check for other running apps that use memory.

hadimassa, Jun 22, 2016
  4. Ohwell Win User

Hi TBCGuy

Did you ever find a solution? I came across your post and want to delete the USB driver history and start again

Ohwell, Sep 10, 2016
  5. TBCGuy Win User
    No I haven't, Ohwell. All I do is go into my Device Manager, show hidden devices, and uninstall each old USB driver. But I am still having problems with USB devices. I don't know what the INFCACHE.1 (from Windows 7) equivalent is in Windows 10.

Can anybody help us?

TBCGuy, Sep 10, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Sep 11, 2016
  7. TBCGuy Win User
    Thanks, Topgundcp. I had forgotten about that tool. There is a post here that explains how to use it.

I will report back with my success using it with Windows 10.

Thanks, again!

TBCGuy, Sep 11, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

Kbird, Sep 11, 2016
  9. TBCGuy Win User
    Thanks, Kbird. I will give USBDeview a try.

So far after running drivecleanup all is working well. I have only connected 5 or 6 USB devices. I am waiting till I get to 20+ before I report back.

I look forward to comparing the 2 utilities.

Thanks, again!

TBCGuy, Sep 11, 2016
  10. Ohwell Win User
    Thank you for both options. I will evaluate in a few days as I am on travel...

Ohwell, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a way to a clear USB cache file? - Similar Threads - clear USB cache

2. How to clear memory cached files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clear memory cached files?: I'm developing in C++ and C# and working with larger files tens to hundreds of GB and performance is a major issue. However, once a file has been read it is cached in memory and subsequent reads no longer go to disk. This makes it difficult to gauge the performance. For...
  3. clear cache

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    clear cache: How do I clear cache in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-cache/88e77c48-6176-469c-815c-2c825048c7fe
  4. Clearing cach - windows 10

Clearing cach - windows 10: How do I clear cache? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clearing-cach-windows-10/42366b1a-40dd-4395-b170-b5137b4f0bd7
  5. Clearing update cache

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clearing update cache: I am thinking of cleaning up the update cache i saw how to do it via software distribution folder. I am wondering though is it safe to delete everything in the downloads below is what my folder looks like is it safe to delete everything or should i only delete certain...
  6. What's The Best Way To Clear Google Chrome Cache

in Browsers and Email
    What's The Best Way To Clear Google Chrome Cache: Hello, I am wondering if anyone can link me to a webpage which shows the best way to clear the Google Chrome cache, and only the cache. I want to keep my search history & all other data. The reason why I want to try to clear up all the cache is because Google Chrome is...
  7. how to clear caches

how to clear caches: how to clear caches https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clear-caches/cfedf7a2-2ec3-465a-ba4e-ce8fce234761
  8. how to clear cache and cookies

how to clear cache and cookies: I was advised to clear cache and cookies and do not know how to do that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clear-cache-and-cookies/1946833c-e745-4a34-9457-bf117d70c25f
  9. What is the best way to clear windows 10, 1803 cache.

What is the best way to clear windows 10, 1803 cache.: Hello, I need to clear my laptop of cache because I am having trouble with some updates not loading or installing on my laptop and have found on the web that clearing them will help. Could someone please send me latest instructions on how to do this please and do I need to...
  10. Clearing cache

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clearing cache: How do I clear cache on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clearing-cache/1b4043d8-15be-4402-8bac-078d8b32570c