Windows 10: Is there a way to add the "Open command prompt" back tin the file Menu

Discus and support Is there a way to add the "Open command prompt" back tin the file Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the creator's update they removed the Open command prompt under file in the file explorer. Is there a way to add it back? 83183 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GoodTimesAhead, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Is there a way to add the "Open command prompt" back tin the file Menu

After the creator's update they removed the Open command prompt under file in the file explorer. Is there a way to add it back?

:)

GoodTimesAhead, Apr 29, 2017

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Apr 29, 2017
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Apr 29, 2017
  4. Mystere Win User

Is there a way to add the "Open command prompt" back tin the file Menu

Interesting. You do know that you can do anything in a powershell prompt that you can in command prompt, right?

Mystere, Apr 29, 2017
  5. Just trying something like

for %i in ("*.mp4") do echo "%~ni"

returns an error.

I don't wanna learn a new language.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
  7. Thank you. Better than nothing I guess.

8. Bree New Member

9. PowerShell commands are often ridiculously verbose.

lehnerus2000, Apr 29, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    @GoodTimesAhead

Just FWIW.....if anyone must have a command prompt and feel stuck with Powershell, simply type cmd in Powershell and hit enter. You'll be at a regular Command Prompt. It's only another way of getting there, not the best, but an easy way. If the OP doesn't like/want to use Powershell, this an alternative. Just a suggestion.

f14tomcat, Apr 29, 2017
  11. Mystere Win User
    If you put those commands in a .cmd (or even .bat) file, then execute them, they will work because Powershell will execute .cmd and .bat files with cmd.exe

If you want to type them into the shell natively, then just type cmd and you're in a cmd prompt within Powershell.

Mystere, Apr 29, 2017
  12. Pyprohly Win User
    I don’t think there’s a way to get this option back. No one’s found anything yet and I’ve also tried a few things myself.

Instead, what you could do is make the “Open Windows PowerShell” Explorer file menu option open the command prompt by changing the data value of the “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\Powershell\command” (“HKCR\Directory\shell\Powershell\command”) registry value from
    Code: powershell.exe -noexit -command Set-Location '%V'[/quote] to
    Code: cmd.exe /s /k pushd "%V"[/quote] It will still say “Open Windows PowerShell” though.

But as the best work around to this problem, I encourage any one reading this to pick up the newer language.

PowerShell commands are often ridiculously verbose. I’d say this is a good thing anyway, but maybe you say this because you often see people write and share PowerShell commands in their most verbose form. PowerShell lines can often be reduced quite a lot. You can be as verbose or as implicit as you want.

For example, the command prompt command
    Code: for %i in ("*.mp4") do echo "%~ni"[/quote] translates to following in PowerShell
    Code: Get-ChildItem -Path '*.mp4' | ForEach-Object -MemberName BaseName | Out-Default[/quote] It’s longer than the command prompt command in its verbose form, but it can also be written in short form as
    Code: ls *.mp4 | % BaseName[/quote] Additionally, it is expected you’d use tab completion and never fully type out commands.

Pyprohly, Apr 29, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

Is the goal to have the quickest link to powershell? Consider pinning the icon to the task bar like browsers, file explorer etc.

zbook, Apr 29, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks for emphasizing what I posted in #8.

f14tomcat, Apr 29, 2017
  15. I suspect that you are correct. *Smile

When I was studying W2K8, we did some PowerShell exercises.
    In one of the exercises, we had to add a new user/password/group to AD and the PS command was enormous.

Verbose is good in scripts, because it:
    • Doesn't matter how long it takes type it in correctly
    • Makes it easier to figure out what the script does at a later date

I copy complicated CLI commands from the web examples (in both Linux & Windows) when I need to use them.

I wouldn't have guessed that those two PS commands were identical (if you hadn't made it obvious that they were). *Smile

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a way to add the "Open command prompt" back tin the file Menu - Similar Threads - add Open command

2. Open VBS file with admin command prompt context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open VBS file with admin command prompt context menu: @Brink VBS files have, by default, a context menu to Open with command prompt. I would like to add an additional option to Open with command prompt as admin. The command to open VBS files, standard privileges, is something like Code: cmd.exe...
  3. Add Open Windows Terminal in Command Prompt, PowerShell profile context menu items

in Windows 10 News
    Add Open Windows Terminal in Command Prompt, PowerShell profile context menu items: Windows Terminal can let you open multiple Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, etc., tabs in one window, and you can open it from the right-click context menu. However, as the default option opens the default startup profile, you can add an expandable menu to open any profile...
  4. Is there a way to add the file menu in Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Is there a way to add the file menu in Microsoft Edge: Is there a way to add the file menu in Microsoft Edge like there is in Internet Explorer 11? I mean this: Show me how if this option is possible. 178334
  5. Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...: ... as the post title. My search here only found a tutorial for a 'standard' command prompt. -thx 167608
  6. Command prompt not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command prompt not opening: Hi All, Whenever I try to open a command prompt in windows 10 it crashes automatically. Please assist how to fix the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-not-opening/cc3ba5c9-0dda-421b-b0af-d3e128135a1c
  7. Is there a way to have both powershell and command prompt in the WinX menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to have both powershell and command prompt in the WinX menu?: I know you can toggle one or the other, but it would be nice to have both. submitted by /u/NiceShoesWannaDuck [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i5enf6/is_there_a_way_to_have_both_powershell_and/
  8. Command prompt not opening

Command prompt not opening: Hi, I recently installed a windows 10 update and noe cmd.exe does not work. I hvae tried many different methods to open it but all that happens is a small window flashes up ont he screen for a split second then dissapears. any ideas? s8on...
  9. Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in...

Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in...: Hi, I'm using windows 10. I have no idea why my command prompt is not launching properly and is instead opening up the default folder in File Explorer i.e. File Explorer is opening up in the command prompt default start up folder. Please help. FYI. I recently downloaded...
  10. Command Prompt Not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt Not Opening: Recently attempting to open Command prompt, ordinary or as administrator, it flashes for perhaps 2 seconds and then disappears. I tried the following commands sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth But none of these seem to work, I'm wondering if there...