Windows 10: Is there a way to copy a Metro app from Win 10 to Win Server 2016?

Discus and support Is there a way to copy a Metro app from Win 10 to Win Server 2016? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm curious if there's a way to copy this PDF app that I have installed on my Windows 10 machine to Windows Server 2016 Essentials? [img] PS. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ahmd, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ahmd Win User

Is there a way to copy a Metro app from Win 10 to Win Server 2016?

I'm curious if there's a way to copy this PDF app that I have installed on my Windows 10 machine to Windows Server 2016 Essentials?

Is there a way to copy a Metro app from Win 10 to Win Server 2016? [​IMG]

PS. I need a simple PDF viewer on this Server machine, but I don't want to install Adobe or some other third party Win32 software. UWP apps are more secure since they run in a sandbox container. Thus my question.

:)

2. Is there a way to copy messages from PC to Nokia N73

Hi.

I have Nokia N73 with v 4.0839.42.2.1 and PC Suite 7.1.18.0. My camera was not working, it will show as system error. i have updated to the latest firmware version and it was no luck. i had to reset the phone to factory settings *#7370# to get the camera working
    and after that if i restore my backup the camera stops working. I dont want to restore my backup as my camera will stop working., i have got my contacts back by importing from PC (CSV format) but i was not able to import messages or copy messages from PC to
    mobile.

Is there a way i can bring the message from PC to mobile?

Thanks,

Abraham Johnson

abrahamjohnson, Mar 16, 2017
  3. Is there a way to copy messages from PC to Nokia N73

Hi,

restore your old backup with all settings, then make once more memory backup by NSU but without settings, private data only(contacts, calendar, notes, messages etc.).

Then once more dial*#7370# and restore backup without setting. After that all should be good.

Greetings

Message Edited by on 11-Jan-2009 06:16 PM

hieronim69, Mar 16, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

I am sorry but your only reasonable choice is to use a Win32 PDF reader application. As soon as a Windows Server has been made a domain controller, possibility to use local accounts is gone. You simply can't have a Windows Server OS running as a domain controller with local accounts. All Server sign-in accounts must be server admins (built-in admin) which makes using UWP impossible.

Using Windows Server just as an OS, not a domain controller makes no sense. Although it is possible to create local accounts and it would be theoretically possible to sideload an UWP app on a local account when Server OS is not a domain controller, I can't understand why anyone would like to do that?

If server is not used as a domain controller, you make it easier to use just a regular Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise as OS on your server. This of course would also allow you to use UWP apps.

5. ahmd Win User
    Hmm. That is interesting. Because the start menu and the settings app in Server 2016 Essentials are by themselves UWP apps.

First off, it's not a full fledged server. I'm talking about Server 2016 Essentials.

Then why would I use it with local accounts instead of Windows 10 Pro -- these major issues with 10 Pro:

(1) Forced updates.
    (2) AppLocker.
    (3) Full VM support. (Otherwise I need to pay additionally for VMWare Workstation.)

If they added all that to Win 10 Pro, I'd be fully on board.

Then, why do I not use Win 10 Enterprise? Can you tell me how much does it cost to get a single copy? And also where to download it?

6. Kari Win User
    Hmm are you trying to be clever? Hmm of course Settings app have to work. It's the one and only exception.

As I said, UWP apps do not work with built-in admin account, meaning you cannot use UWP apps in Windows Server when it is used as domain controller.

That is a server OS, same rules apply to it than to other Windows Server editions.

From https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...-use-applocker:

Windows 10 Pro, Education and Enterprise editions come with full Hyper-V virtualization.

Windows 10 Enterprise licenses, either cloud (Enterprise E3 and E5 plans) or volume licensing can only be bought from Microsoft partners: How to Buy Windows 10 For Your Business - Get Windows 10

7. ahmd Win User
    No, I'm not trying to be clever. I'm just correcting inaccuracies. Speaking of which, Windows Server 2016 Essentials comes pre-packaged with the following UWP apps (from AppLocker menu):

That is why I was asking how to install more?

They can clearly run so I don't see any reason why it won't accept other UWP apps.

Microsoft are really funny. What good is it going to do me if I can only manage AppLocker *Smile How about enforcing it?

I'm sorry I'm already on the 3rd page deep in this *^%$ and I still don't know how much it costs to get a single license?

8. Kari Win User

You have to contact an official Microsoft Partner to get more information. In the page I linked to in my previous post, search for a member of MPN (Microsoft Partner Network) in your area:

Another site to search MPN members in your area: Find Microsoft Partners Near You - MSFT Partner Directory

Windows 10 Enterprise E3 plans start at $7 per month.

9. ahmd Win User
    That is another reason why I don't want to deal with their Windows Enterprise model -- i.e., me needing to contact some partners, and then paying monthly fee. I'd rather pay one-time price and own the product. (Translation -- I don't want to be at Microsoft or anyone else's mercy if they decide to raise the price, take out some features, or do some other nasty stuff that is known to have been done with subscription services, or when you don't own a physical piece of the installer.)

From what I've been able to find out (before posting this question) is that for our needs -- no cloud BS or virtualization, Azure, or other thing-em-bobs -- when we own a copy of Windows that I can install on our own physical hardware that DOES NOT connect to Microsoft or in any way offload our data to them, etc -- the minimum requirement is 5 licenses. At that point, I said, "OK, thank you. But no thank you!" We're not paying for 5 licenses of something that we need only one copy of.

Thus I came across this Server Essentials, which kinda works like an old model Windows. No subscription, or other license BS. Thus I went with it.

At this point I want to go back to my original question. So please don't change the subject.

Does anyone know how to install those Metro apps on the Server 2016 Essentials? (Obviously manually, as there's no Store app.)

10. Kari Win User
    How have I changed the subject? I have answered your questions, but as it seems you didn't understand the answer, I repeat: It is not possible to install UWP apps in Windows Server OS.

Thema:

1. Is there a way to copy a Metro app from Win 10 to Win Server 2016? - Similar Threads - copy Metro app

2. BEST WAY to upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BEST WAY to upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10: best way to upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 /11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-way-to-upgrade-from-win-81-to-win-10/f302bff3-e408-4421-83b7-3833b7d7ab06
  3. Installation of kb4016635 Today, on Win Server 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation of kb4016635 Today, on Win Server 2016: Hello.To make sure that all of our servers are protected of MS-17-010, I have to make sure that at list one of several hotfix's is installed on each server.This is the list for 2016 servers, according to the link bellow the list.Updates:kb4013429, kb4016635, kb4015217,...
  4. Installation of kb4016635 Today, on Win Server 2016

Installation of kb4016635 Today, on Win Server 2016: Hello.To make sure that all of our servers are protected of MS-17-010, I have to make sure that at list one of several hotfix's is installed on each server.This is the list for 2016 servers, according to the link bellow the list.Updates:kb4013429, kb4016635, kb4015217,...
  5. Installation of kb4016635 Today, on Win Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Auto File Replication from Win10 to Win Server 2016

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto File Replication from Win10 to Win Server 2016: Hi Team, I am working on a Windows Server 2016 using DFS Replication to automatically Copy the recordings files of Call Recording and Reporting from the Win 10 Machine-192.X.X.X to the Win Server's 2016 local D or E drive. Can someone please help me how I can do that as I...
  7. metro onenote on win 10 sucks!

in Microsoft Office and 365
    metro onenote on win 10 sucks!: no more circle menu. how do you change pen thickness? 5328
  8. Way to uninstall Metro apps?

Way to uninstall Metro apps?: Is there some compilation batch file or something someone has made to uninstall every non-built in/"required" Metro app from Windows 10? Metro apps are not listed in add/remove programs which makes it difficult to find out which ones I can remove. Is there some other...
  9. Copy of Win 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copy of Win 10: I want to make a zip (USB) copy of win 10 to have for emergenecy. How is the best way to do it and where can I download it from Thanks Ben 57860
  10. Here's how to find location of Metro Apps in Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Here's how to find location of Metro Apps in Win 10: Hi there Some of you might want to put some metro apps as short cuts on the desktop without having to use tiles etc. You can also create LINKS and save these on a custom toolbar if you want. 1) run the following command : explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder 2) when the...