Windows 10: Is there a way to edit the button mapping area of a touchpad?

Discus and support Is there a way to edit the button mapping area of a touchpad? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, In Ubuntu there is a pretty direct way to edit the characteristics of a touchpad. Problem is that I'm running Windows 10 anniversary and I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jericho, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Jericho Win User

Is there a way to edit the button mapping area of a touchpad?

So,

In Ubuntu there is a pretty direct way to edit the characteristics of a touchpad. Problem is that I'm running Windows 10 anniversary and I just picked up an MSI GS-60 002 Ghost Pro Skylake and I simply can't get used to using the offset position of the touchpad... I continuously hit right button when I'm intending left.

I'm sporting an Elantech Smart Pad. Driver version 15.13.3.1 _x64_WHQL

Anyway, my hope is that it is possible. Instead of a right 50% left 50% I'm hoping to alter for left 75% right 25%... I realize the exact spacing is a coordinate issue but if anyone could offer me a direction to explore I would be sincerely grateful.

:)

Jericho, Aug 25, 2016

2. Is there a way to have a button on the taskbar that will run a program as an administrator?

Thanks so much for your rapid reply. This seems like it is just what I need.

The app is in my c:/Programs folder along with many other programs. The file name is:

SteelSeriesEngine3Client.exe

I read the reference you provided, and I must confess the technology here is beyond me, I have done quote a bit of VBA programming and created Web Sites, but this is our of my league.

I gather that I would need to download and install ShellRunas.exe. That would be no problem, but I do not have a clue as to how I should use it.

Could you please give me some help on next steps?

Thank You.

Lewis D. Eigen, Aug 25, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Is there a way to have a button on the taskbar that will run a program as an administrator?

Yes, but it is a roundabout process. But not for all applications.

For traditional, non MS-Store <c*>applets,

. #1 you have to create a shortcut on the desktop.

. #2 right click, select Properties

. #3 click on shortcut tab

. #4 Click on Advanced button

. #5 turn on "Run as Administrator" check box

This article shows how to create a desktop shortcut for Store apps. But when I tried it, the Run as Admin option was disabled. Give it a try, it MAY work for your specific applet

https://winaero.com/blog/desktop-shortcut-store...

Rohn007, Aug 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Aug 28, 2016
  5. Jericho Win User
    Seriously? Well, shit...

Thanks for locating that, I'm curious if it's at all pad dependent? An acquaintance was able to modify his arrangement using Linux but I'm uncertain as to the make/model he was using.

Jericho, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a way to edit the button mapping area of a touchpad? - Similar Threads - edit button mapping

2. Adjust touchpad usable area

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adjust touchpad usable area: I have an Asus touchpad which uses a Elan USB\VID_043F touchpad. Random laptops I've had over the years have had settings to adjust the usable touch area which weren't much use due the small size of the touchpads. Now, for some reason, manufacturers make touchpads that span...
  3. Adjust touchpad usable area

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adjust touchpad usable area: I have an Asus touchpad which uses a Elan USB\VID_043F touchpad. Random laptops I've had over the years have had settings to adjust the usable touch area which weren't much use due the small size of the touchpads. Now, for some reason, manufacturers make touchpads that span...
  4. Touchpad Buttons

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad Buttons: I've tried so many things to try and fix it.. I've been trying to fix the buttons the lower buttons won't work and its such a pain is there anybody with advice or knows how to fix it?...
  5. Reassigning touchpad buttons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reassigning touchpad buttons: Hi! Does anyone know if it's possible to reassign the touchpad buttons on a laptop? I use a bluetooth mouse and would therefore like to use the touchpads left and right buttons with my thumb for something else. But I can't seem to find a solution for this. It could be that...
  6. Any way to swap touchpad buttons independent of my mouse?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to swap touchpad buttons independent of my mouse?: I'm left-handed and use my touchpad with the right button as the left click and the left button as the right click, but I use my mouse in my right hand with the standard button functions. I've tried swapping the primary button in Windows Settings but it swaps all mouse and...
  7. Mouse button mapping to keyboard?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse button mapping to keyboard?: In Windows 10, can mouse buttons be mapped to the keyboard, or if not, is there a reputable app that can do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-button-mapping-to-keyboard/5d623ad7-0f28-40c1-949d-00d6810e0eaf
  8. Is there a way to change the notification area

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to change the notification area: Hi, I use Windows 10 OS. Everyday when I login to my laptop, there will be quite a number of new emails to outlook. These notifications appear on the bottom right hand side. As these numbers are many, I am unable to use any other icons there in the quick launch for...
  9. Hacking touchpad to reduce surface area??

Hacking touchpad to reduce surface area??: I have hunted "high and low" for a way to cure jumping cursor curse not only for my zenbook but for any of the current deadly crop of notebooks [their touchpads/buttons/etc] I found this unix hackery that seems to be 'the ticket' and wondering if any of you smart coders...
  10. Touchpad Button Malfunction

Touchpad Button Malfunction: The left button on my touchpad developed a hard to describe malfunction. Turning on right-handed mode improved the functionality, but accidentally clicking the left button creates a complicated, frustrating situated which can usually only be resolved by restarting. Is there...