Windows 10: Is there a way to install the Home version of 10 Preview?

Discus and support Is there a way to install the Home version of 10 Preview? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Following on from this thread, I wondered if there was an easy way to get 10 Preview to install as the Home, rather than Pro version, so I could have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidY, Jun 15, 2015.

1. DavidY Win User

Is there a way to install the Home version of 10 Preview?

Following on from this thread, I wondered if there was an easy way to get 10 Preview to install as the Home, rather than Pro version, so I could have a play and compare features? Ideally I'd want to use an ISO with a VM.

:)

DavidY, Jun 15, 2015

2. Is there a way of going back to Windows 10 Home Single Language from Pro?

Sir plz plz help i have also enter the generic key for windows 10 pro, i thought it was original windows 10 pro key but i was wrong Now i have the edition of windows 10 pro but it is not activated.

i miss my windows 10 home single language edition

i have my genuine windows 10 home product key

plz plz help me i am reallly disappointed and hopeless

plz give a solution to go back to my windows 10 home single language

ZunairHassan, Jun 15, 2015
  3. LUq- Win User
    Is there a way of going back to Windows 10 Home Single Language from Pro?

So, I did something very stupid.

I used a generic Windows 10 Pro key to upgrade from Home Single Language to Pro

Everything went fine. I though Windows would stay activated since the key was accepted but now it isn't

I still have my Home Single Language key with me... Is there a way of going back?

4. Edwin New Member

You could try 'Change Product Key' and enter a Core Key but I doubt it will work. No harm in trying though.

Only other thing I can think of is, install WZor's multi language version of Build 10135; it installs Home version by default.
    I didn't see any differences to be honest, however, I didn't stay on the Home version very long either.

Edwin, Jun 15, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
  6. I did the online upgrade via the insiders page, from 8.1 Core and got 10 Home. It looks like if you clean install you get Pro. Likely because of the key in the PID.txt file is a Pro key. You could delete the PID.txt file from the sources folder and you'll get prompted to enter a key. Enter a Home key and it will install Home. I have no idea where you'd get a Home key though?

alphanumeric, Jun 15, 2015
  7. DavidY Win User
    Thanks for replying. I guess your online upgrade will have inherited the 'Home' status from being installed over 8.1 Core, then?

As you say, finding a Home key might be the blocker....

DavidY, Jun 15, 2015
  8. Is there a way to install the Home version of 10 Preview?

Yes, and Yes. If you upgrade what you get is based on what OS your upgrading from. 7 Ultimate got me 10 Pro for example. I haven't seen any 10 Home keys listed anywhere. You could try a Windows 8.1 Core key.

alphanumeric, Jun 15, 2015
  9. DavidY Win User
    Thanks - although I used to have a Technet account, I only got Pro keys through that route so don't have a spare core one.

DavidY, Jun 16, 2015
  10. alphanumeric, Jun 16, 2015
  11. DavidY Win User
    Thanks - I'll give that a go later (probably at the weekend).

DavidY, Jun 16, 2015
  12. Do you have a PC that came with Windows 8.0 or 8.1 from the factory? Do an Upgrade on that PC and you'll get 10 Home.

alphanumeric, Jun 16, 2015
  13. DavidY Win User

The only device I have which is running Windows 8.1 Core (actually it's 8.1 with Bing but for this purpose I think it's equivalent) is my little tablet. This has a 32GB solid state drive and uses WIMBoot, so I'm expecting the upgrade to Windows 10 to be troublesome, and therefore was going to leave that one a while.

So I'm wondering if the following might work:
    • Download 8.1 Core with the Media Creator
    • Install in a VM with the key you mentioned
    • Try the upgrade to 10 Preview - incidentally can I just run Setup from the ISO or is it more complex than that?

DavidY, Jun 16, 2015
  14. Yeah, I'd leave the tablet be.
    There is no 8.1 Core with Media Center? Media Center can only be added to Pro. Did you mean 8.1 Core with Bing?
    I'm not sure it will let you upgrade to 10 if it's not activated? Yes, running setup should do it.

alphanumeric, Jun 16, 2015
  15. DavidY Win User
    I meant the Media Creation tool thing which lets you download 8.1 ISOs - I've probably got the name wrong as I'm not on my computer right now to look it up.

DavidY, Jun 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Is there a way to install the Home version of 10 Preview? - Similar Threads - install Home version

2. Dev Home Preview and Dev Home GitHub Extension Preview

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Dev Home Preview and Dev Home GitHub Extension Preview: How to install Dev Home Preview and Dev Home Github Extension Preview in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dev-home-preview-and-dev-home-github-extension/64da3763-37f0-4d10-b528-bc9d219fc351
  3. Dev Home Preview and Dev Home GitHub Extension Preview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dev Home Preview and Dev Home GitHub Extension Preview: How to install Dev Home Preview and Dev Home Github Extension Preview in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dev-home-preview-and-dev-home-github-extension/64da3763-37f0-4d10-b528-bc9d219fc351
  4. Dev Home Preview and Dev Home GitHub Extension Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Didn't there used to be a way to opt in/out of preview versions of some apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Didn't there used to be a way to opt in/out of preview versions of some apps?: I think this feature was in the Advanced Options (in Settings/Apps) of certain major Store apps like Microsoft Photos. However, in the current Dev build, I've looked in that section for several likely apps and can no longer find any such option. How do you control it now?...
  6. installing version 2004 on windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing version 2004 on windows 10 home: hi, i am using windows 10 home on hp laptop. i want to download the iso file of version 2004 and install. so, should i download and launch it from c drive or should i use any other drive?plz let me know....
  7. windows 10 home version 1909 updates not installing

windows 10 home version 1909 updates not installing: Hi team I am having problems again with updates for my windows 10 version 1909 x 64 home OS Build 18363-720 DESKTOP - 4ATJCEB 2020.04 KB 4549951 19 which I presume was 19 attempts to install 2020.05 KB 4556799 20 error message 0x800706be 2020.06 KB 4560960 18 error...
  8. Windows 10 home insider preview

Windows 10 home insider preview: I bought a PC some time ago. I bought the original operating system and used the OS update in the course of using it. However, "Windows 10 home insider preview evaluation" is said to be a strange configuration on PC ... I can not trust Microsoft corporation....
  9. Windows 10 Home Version 1809 Never Installs

Windows 10 Home Version 1809 Never Installs: I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what they did about this installation problem. Twice in December and now today January 9th., this version 1809 fails to install. Is it because of say the age of my Desktop which is from 2013 or is it some thing...
  10. wondering if there is a way to do a clean install of win 10 t. preview

wondering if there is a way to do a clean install of win 10 t. preview: Good evening, I installed the windows 10 tech preview thru the windows update on my windows 7 laptop which is a dell inspiron 1501 and it has been almost a week with it and it works perfect. wondering if I use the recovery option in settings to erase everything and...