Windows 10: Is there a way to prevent Windows from restarting my computer without my approval?

Discus and support Is there a way to prevent Windows from restarting my computer without my approval? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I know that I can schedule updates under settings. My problem is that, if I am not there to actively postpone it, Windows restarts my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GBJFDay, Jul 14, 2018.

1. GBJFDay Win User

Is there a way to prevent Windows from restarting my computer without my approval?

I know that I can schedule updates under settings. My problem is that, if I am not there to actively postpone it, Windows restarts my computer whenever it feels like it. This is not acceptable. I frequently leave tasks running when I am away from my machine, any progress is lost when my computer gets rebooted without my knowledge or consent. Yes, it pops up a window warning me of the impending restart, but it will restart unless I actively postpone it. They need to change this so that my computer will only restart if I approve it (opt in rather than opt out). I have tried leaving feedback with Microsoft, but I find the hoops you need to jump through infuriating.

:)

GBJFDay, Jul 14, 2018

2. Computer crashes and restarts periodically

Hello Kurt,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

What is the make and model of your computer?

What is the anti-virus program on the computer?

I suggest you to try the following steps:

Uninstall and Reinstall the Graphics Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Graphics Card
    Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

• Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

• Search for the Graphics Card
      from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers
      from the computer.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Graphics Card
    manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the
    Graphics Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you

Ruth Buruga, Jul 14, 2018
  3. little cat, Jul 14, 2018
  4. Arrakis9 Win User

Is there a way to prevent Windows from restarting my computer without my approval?

Random restarts

when you start the computer up press F8 repeatedly until you get a list of how to start windows, choose do not automatically restart on system failure. if your getting bsod's list what your getting here so we can further help you. IF the system is not getting bsod's and still restarting as you say then i would look into getting a line conditioner for your computer as you might be having power issues.

Arrakis9, Jul 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a way to prevent Windows from restarting my computer without my approval? - Similar Threads - prevent restarting computer

2. My computer crashes and restarts without the BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer crashes and restarts without the BSOD: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AntzSUAUjbkfgc9Rs5pkrJGQ7kvlsw?e=Z5hEwtthis has the dmp files here. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-crashes-and-restarts-without-the-bsod/0bf5d84d-8aac-46c4-941f-f02f807e79a8
  3. My computer crashes and restarts without the BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer crashes and restarts without the BSOD: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AntzSUAUjbkfgc9Rs5pkrJGQ7kvlsw?e=Z5hEwtthis has the dmp files here. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-crashes-and-restarts-without-the-bsod/0bf5d84d-8aac-46c4-941f-f02f807e79a8
  4. Run an executable as Administrator without my approval

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run an executable as Administrator without my approval: Hello!Is there a way to run at the Windows' startup a software as Admin without me clicking the "Yes" button example image below of what I would like to remove?...
  5. Run an executable as Administrator without my approval

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run an executable as Administrator without my approval: Hello!Is there a way to run at the Windows' startup a software as Admin without me clicking the "Yes" button example image below of what I would like to remove?...
  6. How to prevent Windows 11 from updating an approved BIOS update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows 11 from updating an approved BIOS update: Hi community,on my Windows 11 laptop I approved a BIOS update via Windows Update. This BIOS update has some issues in my IT environment, so I would like to decline it and downgrade. The downgrade works, but everytime I start, Windows updates the BIOS again after restart.The...
  7. How do I prevent Windows Update from restarting my computer without my consent?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I prevent Windows Update from restarting my computer without my consent?: Win10 Pro user here. I can't stand this anymore. I haven't lost any computer data to an actual virus or malware attack since the year 2003, but I lose work to Windows' intrusive update procedure on a near-monthly basis. Windows might as well be the virus at this point. It's...
  8. App preventing computer from restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App preventing computer from restarting: Hi,When I restart my desktop computer, an app with the name of NvFBCPluginWindow is preventing me from restarting. Does anyone know why is this happening and how to fix it?...
  9. Is there a way to prevent windows from restarting no matter what if a specific program is...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to prevent windows from restarting no matter what if a specific program is...: Basically, I have software always running on my computer, and if windows decided to reboot or end my session without first notifying me, there is a very high chance that a bunch of data gets corrupted, forcing me to load backups every time and losing a bunch of progress in...
  10. How can I prevent Windows 10 from restarting without my consent?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I prevent Windows 10 from restarting without my consent?: Everytime there's an update and the OS thinks I'm idle (nevermind that I'm watching a film, browsing the internet or just been gone for a minute, it restarts without asking. I've disabled the automatic restarts in the Windows settings (Advanced options\Update options\Restart...