Windows 10: Is there a way to reset the default values for Windows 10 file type associations to nothing?

Discus and support Is there a way to reset the default values for Windows 10 file type associations to nothing? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I received a new windows 10 version 1703 desktop system. I checked the file type associations and to my surprise, even the .htm and .html file types... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Richard Dachowski, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Is there a way to reset the default values for Windows 10 file type associations to nothing?

I received a new windows 10 version 1703 desktop system. I checked the file type associations and to my surprise, even the .htm and .html file types were NOT already assigned to an application, not even to EDGE or IE 11.

Is that the way the default settings for Windows 10 Version 1703 are supposed to be set? If so, if I change those settings to EDGE , can I later on change them back to where the .htm and .html file types are NOT ASSOCIATED with any application?

:)

Richard Dachowski, Jul 5, 2018
  2. CherylA Win User

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Jul 5, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not sure why the suggested that there either since .zip is not listed by default. The easiest way is to use the "Open with" context menu to change the association for .zip.

Brink, Jul 5, 2018
  4. Is there a way to reset the default values for Windows 10 file type associations to nothing?

Globally setting default file type associations

Group policy would be the better way to go but I don't know if file associations are in there.

This is what my server has in that key:
    Code: [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Extensions] "ini"="notepad.exe ^.ini" "txt"="notepad.exe ^.txt" "wtx"="notepad.exe ^.wtx"[/quote]

FordGT90Concept, Jul 5, 2018
Thema:

Is there a way to reset the default values for Windows 10 file type associations to nothing?

1. Is there a way to reset the default values for Windows 10 file type associations to nothing? - Similar Threads - reset default values

2. Is there an easy way to change Default File Associations?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an easy way to change Default File Associations?: I'm trying to change Windows 11's default Notepad app to Notepad++. I changed the default App in Settings > Apps > Default apps > Notepad. Changing the Default App for each file listed under the Notepad app, everything is good.I looked into the files under the Excel App, and...
  3. Is there an easy way to change Default File Associations?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there an easy way to change Default File Associations?: I'm trying to change Windows 11's default Notepad app to Notepad++. I changed the default App in Settings > Apps > Default apps > Notepad. Changing the Default App for each file listed under the Notepad app, everything is good.I looked into the files under the Excel App, and...
  4. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  5. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  6. default file type association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  7. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  8. Default file type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default file type association: Hi! On Win 10 I want to change default file extension association to an exe file, but the system doesn't allow it. It happens with other extensions and programs too, but now specifically I wanted to associate the standalone version of flash player to .swf extension. It...
  9. Windows 10 resets file associations to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets file associations to default: Why does Windows 10 change my file associations every day to force me to use Edge to open Adobe PDF files? Edge is an unacceptable substitute for Adobe Acrobat Professional. Windows also changes my photo-editing preference to Photos no matter how much I want my own choice....
  10. Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Apps for File Type Associations in Windows 10 A default app is the program that Windows uses automatically when you open a particular file type or protocol. Default app associations...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 reset file association to nothing

2. default file type to nothing windows 10