Windows 10: Is there a way to stop Windows from changing the height of my TaskBar

Discus and support Is there a way to stop Windows from changing the height of my TaskBar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I keep my Taskbar as high as it will go. However, Windows constantly reduces its' height. Is there a way to keep the height I want it at? Thank you.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Nisko Win User

Is there a way to stop Windows from changing the height of my TaskBar

I keep my Taskbar as high as it will go. However, Windows constantly reduces its' height. Is there a way to keep the height I want it at?

Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Feb 10, 2018

2. Is there a way to keep Windows from changing my settings every time there is an update?

Hi Brady,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues after installing Windows Update on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

Does this issue occurs while installing the Cumulative update?

We have heard similar issues after installing the Windows Update. As a workaround, I suggest you to turn on the Sync settings, try to install any Windows Update and check if it resolves the issue. Here's how:

Click on Start and select Settings or press
    Windows logo + I
    keys, then navigate to Accounts >
    Sync your settings
    > Turn on Sync settings.

Click here for more information on
    Sync settings on Window 10

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Feb 10, 2018
  3. Is there a way to keep Windows from changing my settings every time there is an update?

I will have to stop using windows if I have to reselect my default browser and reinstall my plugins every time windows updates. It is very irritating. I was late to work today (I work from home over internet) as my main (vista) pc went down on me so
    I tried to switch to either of my Windows 10 computers that were also both set up as backups and both had to be re-set up due to updates last night, AGAIN! One of them was Pro, and prompted me, but I had allowed it to restart and update before the main one
    failed on me (8 min before I was to be online for work which should have been plenty of time to log in on another pc, but not enough time to get switched over and set it all up again.)

BradyAllison, Feb 10, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 10, 2018
  5. Nisko Win User
    This has always happened (for many years as long as I've used Windows). I have never been able to correlate it happening to any specific action. Sometimes, the Taskbar will not autohide - but I found a small app that allows me to hide the Taskbar with one click when it gets 'stuck.' I'm hoping there's a similar app (or method) that can keep the Taskbar at the height I want it.

Nisko, Feb 10, 2018
  6. Did you try the tutorial Brink pointed you to? I just tried to make sure but unlock it, put it to the height you want , then lock it again. Mine stayed the same even after a reboot. Maybe you have a third party app/program overriding that?

indianacarnie, Feb 10, 2018
  7. Nisko Win User
    Thanks, Brink - but perhaps you could tell me how to activate the batch files. I know what they are - but have never used them on a PC before. Thanks. I don't have a third party app overriding the Taskbar's location.

Nisko, Feb 11, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Nisko,

No need to use a .bat file if you like. Option One will do the trick to lock the taskbar.

Brink, Feb 11, 2018
  9. Nisko Win User
    Brink, Option one is what I've been doing, and having a problem with, for many years. I don't know why - but the Taskbar won't lock at the highest setting.. This has been happening with several computers and all versions of Windows. Makes no sense to me. I need a foolproof method of securing the Taskbar in the highest position allowed..

Nisko, Feb 11, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. I suppose you could give the .bat file a try to see if it may lock it, though it's just a different way to set the same setting.

You would just need to double click on the download .bat file to run it.

If you like, post a screenshot showing your taskbar with the settings from Option One showing to see if anything may stand out.

Brink, Feb 11, 2018
  11. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Feb 11, 2018
  12. Try3 Win User
    Nisko,

Please would you post screenshots of your taskbar in its correct state and in its incorrrect one. I know I'm new to this thread but some statements seem to me to indicate that there is a certain level of misunderstanding.

Denis

13. OAG
    OAG Win User

Frankly I was not aware the taskbar could be expanded like that. But I also just tied it and the method mentioned works just fine for me too. (Expand it go to settings and LOCK the TB - Reboot or Restart and it Holds the expanded size just fine. Running Win 10 version 1709 Build 16299.214).

14. Nisko Win User
    I will post a screenshot - but can't right now - maybe later today (physical disability). I just tried Brink's .bat file and will try it for now. Thanks to all for the help. I can tell you all that I have been using the "Lock Taskbar" by right-clicking in the system tray. Been doing this for many years in all versions of Windows - same results. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that my Taskbar is almost completely filled when it is at it's highest setting on the monitor. Regarding EightForums post: I looked at it - interesting. But I want to try just one thing at a time so as not to confuse the issue. If necessary, I will try it. Thank you all!

Nisko, Feb 11, 2018
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a way to stop Windows from changing the height of my TaskBar - Similar Threads - stop changing height

2. how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11: I just moved to Windows 11 - I understand you change because you have too even if no one asked for it. But can you please bring back the modification of the task bar? is criminally annoying I tried several things on the registry and does not do anything. I presume you blocked...
  3. how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11: I just moved to Windows 11 - I understand you change because you have too even if no one asked for it. But can you please bring back the modification of the task bar? is criminally annoying I tried several things on the registry and does not do anything. I presume you blocked...
  4. Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large: Hello:I have True Launch Bar menus in my taskbar, three rows mentioning the app only if it should be relevant to my Taskbar problem. See attachments for how much extra space there is below the third row. Now, if I shorten the taskbar one step, I get two rows see other...
  5. Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large: Hello:I have True Launch Bar menus in my taskbar, three rows mentioning the app only if it should be relevant to my Taskbar problem. See attachments for how much extra space there is below the third row. Now, if I shorten the taskbar one step, I get two rows see other...
  6. Changes of Taskbar height – each step too large

7. how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11: I used to be able to grab the top border of the taskbar and either drag it up or down to change the height of the taskbar. That doesn't seem to work in Windows 11. Am I missing something?...
  8. how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11

how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11: I used to be able to grab the top border of the taskbar and either drag it up or down to change the height of the taskbar. That doesn't seem to work in Windows 11. Am I missing something?...
  9. My Taskbar changed in height, how do I return to it's default

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Taskbar changed in height, how do I return to it's default: see photo below to see how my taskbar looks now. I have no clue what I did, or maybe, didn't do, to make it come up like this. Can someone help me straighten it out to the "default" settings for taskbar? Thank you in advance for any help, Denise [ATTACH]...
  10. Change Height or Width Size of Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Height or Width Size of Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Change Height or Width Size of Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Change Height or Width Size of Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows...