Windows 10: Is there an external devices limit?

Discus and support Is there an external devices limit? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is there a maximum number of external accessories that Windows 10 Home Creator's Update will accept? The system hasn't used all the letters of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by larrydonline, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Is there an external devices limit?

Is there a maximum number of external accessories that Windows 10 Home Creator's Update will accept? The system hasn't used all the letters of the alphabet yet but it won't create a new drive icon once I have 19 letters used. (Some of them are reserved by the system for USB ports that I can't use.)

I had some drives that were working before the update that don't show up now. When I plug them in a get that acceptance tone that says the system recognizes the device, however they never show up in device manager which list 16 items under "disk drives".
    Down under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" it lists 30 items. It identifies 12 of them as USB Mass Storage Device.

:)

larrydonline, Apr 15, 2017

2. Is there an external plug in camera for lumia 521

Sorry for exploding. I bought what I could with what I had. I did research, but due to natural events things changed. I didn't need to use skype on my phone when I purchased it. Life changes and you try to keep up, thats all. Thank you for the responses.

Prince Malebolgia Hellbourne, Apr 15, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    Is there an external plug in camera for lumia 521

There is no external camera like you want.

You bought one of the cheapest Lumias there is. The higher-end Lumias have better cameras, and a front and back camera.

Entegy, Apr 15, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Is there an external devices limit?

Hi there

I think if you are using external devices the power supply limit will be reached long before you run out of the possible number of external devices even with powered hubs.

Remember also that whatever power the external USB devices can get whether via the PC itself or external power supplies all the data still goes through the bus on the Mobo.

I would think that a maximum SENSIBLE limit would be about 7 (with a powered hub) for USB 3 devices -- any more than that through a single USB port and you'd be BONKERS.

I'd shudder also at 2 X a 7 USB port hub as well -- but if you really need 26 external devices online at the same time surely you'd be better off buying a few really large capacity HDD's -- even consumer grade 5TB ones are cheap and reliable enough now !!!!.

Of course if you use LINUX then the volume naming restriction doesn't apply as you just do as root or sudo : mount /dev/xxx -t auto -o rw /mnt/zzzz for as many devices as you want. Then share with Windows via SAMBA and you don't need the Windows volume names. !!!!

Because Linux is basically a multi-user SERVER system it can have an almost unlimited number of external devices attached --the limitation is in the HARDWARE rather than in the OS. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 15, 2017
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts jimbo. I hadn't considered it that way but it does make sense to just use bigger drives.
    Larry

larrydonline, Apr 15, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Portability would be a consideration in how many drives one needs and therefore the size. If using a number of drives on the same computer the Drive Lettering in Disk Management will usually be the limit, has only 26 letters available, have heard there's ways around that limit but haven't checked it out. Newer computers I've seen [last few years] don't have the capability in the BIOS or motherboard connections for the older floppy drives with A: and B: reserved for them. First gone was a second floppy drive B: a few years ago, usually only a BIOS thing as A: and B: used the same data port on the motherboard with a single 2-plug cable. To get around the limit of how many USB ports are available one could use NAS/Network Attached Storage drive plugged into the Router by Ethernet cable, then Mapped to desired computers. Mine can be Mapped and reached by Ethernet or Wi-Fi connected computers and Windows, Macintosh and Linux computers. The drive lettering limit still exists for them, I have 2 such drives and by default the lettering started at Z: and works back up the alphabet.

Berton, Apr 15, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you share HDD's from linux via SAMBA you don't have any drive limits at all

Is there an external devices limit? [​IMG]

From Linux to Windows for example for HDD1

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 15, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Obviously the alphabet stops a Z but you don't need to mount volumes using drive letters. You can map a drive to a folder on another volume.

Mounted Folders (Windows)

I don't believe is any hard limit

Apparently there is a limit of 96 USB devices (not volumes) per controller in the xHCI driver but your desk would be getting quite cluttered by this point I'd imagine.

9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

As per example shown above from the Linux screen - here's what Windows sees.

Remember though the Windows file + directory (folder) name limit of around 260 chars.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there an external devices limit? - Similar Threads - external devices limit

2. limit external drive access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    limit external drive access: I keep most files photo, music, video on an external solid state drive. My desktop PC runs Windows 10. How would I prevent another user of the PC, with a standard local account, from accessing the contents of this external drive? thank you...
  3. limit external drive access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    limit external drive access: I keep most files photo, music, video on an external solid state drive. My desktop PC runs Windows 10. How would I prevent another user of the PC, with a standard local account, from accessing the contents of this external drive? thank you...
  4. limit external drive access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. external storage limits

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    external storage limits: I recently bought a 128 GB SD card, and I wanted to download Forza horizon 4, which is about 85-90 GB. but when I download it, it stops at 59.1 GB. anyone know how to install the full game? submitted by /u/burr-gurr-and-frie [link] [comments]...
  6. External monitor is limited by laptop monitor?

External monitor is limited by laptop monitor?: I use an external monitor for my laptop, and the display is much bigger, but the resolution is limited by the laptop. All of the icons, the taskbar, and the mouse cursor are too big for the size of the monitor, it is as if I'm just using the laptop monitor. I have an NVIDIA...
  7. External Devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Devices: How can i get my routers history to find out if my gf is sending out uploads via ethernet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-devices/22e50db1-4d77-45e0-95ea-943ddef554ea
  8. Device limit and Gamepass

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Device limit and Gamepass: I wanted to play Crusader Kings III on gamepass, but when i'm going to launch the game, it says that i have to uninstall some of my devices to play the game. I have no other devices with the game or windows installed, so this has no sense. Im affraid i wont be able to play...
  9. Limit Maximum Volume on external speakers

Limit Maximum Volume on external speakers: Is there any way I can limit the maximum volume on an external speaker. My dad likes turning the music super loud and I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow limit the maximum volume without him being able to turn it back up easily. A simple solution would be use headphones...
  10. external devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    external devices: I can't see a specific hard drive in the list. It shows the C drive and one other external hard drive but will no display my Lacie Fuel. This problem just occurred. In the past it has shown up....