Windows 10: Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD?

Discus and support Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] 93412 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SirDarknight, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD?

Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD? [​IMG]

:)

SirDarknight, Sep 13, 2017

2. Is there any sign of a way of backing up your xbox live gamesaves?

There's been no announcement of such a feature coming (though I ahve requested it).

Microsoft employees in-the-know about what is coming usually don't (and probably can't) share information on forthcoming features before they are officially announced. If this is on a feature time line at present there is no way to know when it will come.

Joel Ivory Johnson, Sep 13, 2017
  3. Is there any sign of a way of backing up your xbox live gamesaves?

Finally had a response from Matt Akers of the Zune Development team over at the Windows Team Blog website.

"Hey folks, I appreciate the lively discussion, thanks for bringing up issues and suggestions here. Since it's difficult to troubleshoot issues here or take all feedback, I suggest that if you are having a problem or issue that you go to the MS Answers forum
    here: Microsoft Community . If you are having an issue with the Zune software, then choose the Zune tab there. If you are having an issue related to your phone, then of course the Windows Phone tab is the right place to look. Chances are there are
    other folks with the same issue that can help out, and if not, there is a staff of folks who work the forums that would be happy to assist.
    I also want to make sure that I recognize the feedback trends that are emerging, specifically around a standalone backup feature (outside of updates) as well as app management functionality. Know that your feedback is being heard, even if it didn't make
    this release. I've already made sure that folks on my team have visibility into this post and make sure that these issues are considered when planning future releases."

So at least it seems they will be taking into consideration our feedback. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Isaac Cummins, Sep 13, 2017
  4. Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD?

Hi SirDarkNight.

Per say "No". The system has detected a bad sector and has relocated the data to working sector. You can Google Reallocated Sector Count. One may not be bad but it very well could be the beginning of the end.

Here is one article.

S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: Reallocated Sectors Count | Knowledge Base

Myself, I would be planning a migration to a new drive. I assume you have a backup.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 13, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Mine (coincidentally, also a Toshiba) shows a relocated sector count of one. I keep an eye on it, but it has stayed at one for over a year (maybe longer, I only started using CrystalDiskInfo a year ago). At a 'Power On Hours' of 17229 hours (about two years!) mine has lasted well, but I have an up to date system image ready should it start to deteriorate.

At only 2864 hours use yours is not doing so well. Three years continuous use seems to be the point where, on average, HDD drives start to fail.
    https://www.extremetech.com/computin...ually-live-for

So would I.

6. I third this. Start planning a migration to a new drive. IF you cant afford one right now, put away $10 here and there and soon enough you will be able to get another good drive. Dont wait till it utterly fails, then its too late. And as always, keep an up to date backup. I have Macrium set to auto full backup once a week.

ArazelEternal, Sep 14, 2017
  7. Flashorn Win User
    All the suggestions above are spot on.

If, you'd like a second opinion try Seagate's Seatools:

http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support...ls-win-master/

How to use:

Install software
    Right click on icon and choose to Run as Admin
    Mouse over Basic Test
    From menu, choose the Long Generic test and let it finish
    If test does not complete then, the HDD is bad.

Also, you might want to try to repair the bad sectors using Windows Tools.

click on This PC
    find OS HDD {if more than one drive}
    Right click on the OS HDD
    Choose "properties"
    From the window, click on Tools
    First option is to check for drive file errors.
    Click on it and choose to Scan the HDD
    Let it finish and view report.

Flashorn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD?

1. Is there any way of fixing a 'Bad' HDD? - Similar Threads - fixing 'Bad' HDD

2. Is there any way to fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to fix this?: The websites i´m on keep reloading itself and if i´m watching something the video/episode/movie starts at the beginning. This happens a lot and its very irritating, is there any way to fix this. I have used chrome for many years and this is the first time witnessing this. I...
  3. Is there any way to fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to fix this?: The websites i´m on keep reloading itself and if i´m watching something the video/episode/movie starts at the beginning. This happens a lot and its very irritating, is there any way to fix this. I have used chrome for many years and this is the first time witnessing this. I...
  4. Is there any way to fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to fix this?: One day I was starting my laptop and this appeared! I've tried all of the troubleshooting steps but nothing works! My PC manufacturer, "ASUS" said the Windows is corrupted and they'll be needing to reset it completely to brand new! Is there any way to fix this without doing...
  5. Is there any way to fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to fix this?: One day I was starting my laptop and this appeared! I've tried all of the troubleshooting steps but nothing works! My PC manufacturer, "ASUS" said the Windows is corrupted and they'll be needing to reset it completely to brand new! Is there any way to fix this without doing...
  6. Cant fix bad sectors on HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant fix bad sectors on HDD: I have a hard drive that is about 64% health the last time i checked its status. This time window files got corrupted after each restart now so i did chkdsk /r and dsim in boot drive command prompt. Each has completed their operation but yet it doesnt seem that they both did...
  7. Bad HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad HDD: Years ago I had a tool called "WD CLEAR". It would format almost anything. I need to format a hard drive installed in a laptop so I can reinstall Windows. Any suggestions appreciated 164299
  8. Is there any way to fix this?.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any way to fix this?.: So basically when i download i usually do 10mbs, but when i download now its 200kbs and when i do a diagnostic it says The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken. And it says this to fix it....
  9. Any way to fix this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to fix this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BleedingSimonGamer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/etbmca/any_way_to_fix_this/
  10. Is there a way to block bad sectors on a HDD?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is there a way to block bad sectors on a HDD?: Windows 10 Version 1909. My wifes harddisk have some bad sectors, we are aware of this and the harddisk will be replaced eventually. But right now she have to keep using it. I have promised help her format and reinstall Windows 10 on her PC. Is there any way i can mark...