Windows 10: Is there ANY Way to Save a Tiny File to a Restricted Folder?

Discus and support Is there ANY Way to Save a Tiny File to a Restricted Folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HELLO ! As you all know, there are some folders in Win10 in which MS disallows any edit (Example:: Normally, you Can't Save a file to folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chuck7, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Chuck7 Win User

Is there ANY Way to Save a Tiny File to a Restricted Folder?

HELLO !
    As you all know, there are some folders in Win10 in which MS disallows any edit (Example:: Normally, you Can't Save a file to folder "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps").

I have a ZERO-byte (Empty) file that I have (for Many Hours) been trying to figure out a way (with ZERO success) to save to the above-named folder. The reason this would be very helpful to me is because I have a Dynamite File-Search Program that permits me to Exclude Any Folder -- BUT! its Exclusion-Engine requires the existence of just a single filename (but Not folder-name) so it can identify the folder(s) the user wants excluded.

So, I have placed this ZERO-byte file in a dozen Folders, but I continue to get false hits from the Restricted folders that contain HUGE numbers of files simply because MS forbids even a NO-byte addition.

Does anybody know of ANY way I can get a Zero-byte file into a Folder like C:\Program Files\WindowsApps?
    {I might also point out that IF that WindowsApp folder had natively contained A Single File, that would have sufficed.}

Thank You For Your Help!!

- Chuck

:)

Chuck7, Dec 10, 2017

2. Is there any way to save a video attached to an email?

Hello, please file this as a missing feature in the video player. It needs a menu with the option to save the video to the phone. Currently, there seems to be no way to do this.

Downloading the attachment should ostensibly automatically save it to the Videos library, but it does not do that either.

eikonoklastesx, Dec 10, 2017
  3. Julie fka profjulie, Dec 10, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

For something like this, I would use any LINUX DISTRO such as mint mate: Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - MATE (64-bit) - Linux Mint
    which does not impose any restriction on Windows Permission. Download and put in a USB stick to boot up then explore the folder to copy file to.

topgundcp, Dec 10, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Actually, booting anything other than your normal Windows 10 will be enough to gain access. The Windows 10 recovery environment will do. If you are comfortable using a command prompt you can create a file in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps from the Command Prompt in Advanced Startup. Use...

echo > YourFileName

...to create a small file called YourFileName in the current directory.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10

6. Chuck7 Win User
    WOW!

Thank you VERY MUCH TopGunDCP And Bree.

VERY HELPFUL INDEED! !

- Chuck

Chuck7, Dec 10, 2017
  7. 1. Create your 0-byte file somewhere accessible.
    2. Download PSexec (PsExec - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs) and unzip somewhere.
    3. In an admin CMD window run psexec -i -s cmd
    4. A new CMD window will open with SYSTEM privileges. You can now copy the 0-byte file to your desired destination.

Note that you'd still have to run your search program as admin since only Admin, SYSTEM, and TrustedInstaller can list the contents of WindowsApps.

PolarNettles, Dec 10, 2017
  8. Stitch194 Win User

Stitch194, Dec 10, 2017
  9. Chuck7 Win User
    Thank You PolarNettles ! *Smile

Chuck7, Dec 10, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    As inconvenient as it is, I would leave TrustedInstaller as the owner of WindowsApps. You don't want to find out the hard way that TrustedInstaller no longer has the neccessary permissions to update or install apps. *Sad

11. Chuck7 Win User
    Thank you, Stitch!
    Unfortunately, After 2016, MS seems to have changed access to that folder's permissions: When I follow those instructions & get to the Change Permissions Screen, they are all grayed out. Seems that ol' MS has become increasingly domineering with each ""update"".

Chuck7, Dec 10, 2017
  12. Fafhrd Win User
    Dism++ | New Windows Utility
    This has a version of Windows File Explorer in the Toolkit menu that bypasses rights checking:

Is there ANY Way to Save a Tiny File to a Restricted Folder? [​IMG]

You can open and paste files and folders into C:\Program Files\WindowsApps using this tool effortlessly.

Fafhrd, Dec 10, 2017
  13. Chuck7 Win User

Thank You, Fafhrd ! That looks Amazing!

I bet the CONTROL FREAKS over at MS are not big fans of the Chuyu Team !! *Cool

Thank you very much for sharing that !!

- Chuck

Chuck7, Dec 10, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
    Actually it wouldn't.

You are making an assumption that the disk is not encrypted. If your disk is encrypted then you will need the program (and the key) to decrypt it. Many Windows devices are encrypted with bitlocker. You would therefore need both a program to decrypt the disk when it was mounted and the key to do so.

For example if you make a PE bootable disk you need to add the powershell bitlocker commands as they are not included by default.

Macrium (and other pre made PE) will add these if you request but by default do not. You can also add decryption of bitlocker based volumes to a Linux based bootable USB but I've not tried how well that works.

You still need to know the key though.

Macrium (and some other products) will save the bitlocker recovery key (.bek) on their boot USB. This would be a dumb thing to do IMO. You may as well not bother. May as well write it on a post-it and stick it under your keyboard.

My Linux installs are also encrypted (using LUKS) and again you would need the key. Otherwise you see a RAW space.

If you don't encrypt your disk then anyone who finds it can see anything. You don't need a program to do it - just plug it in to any PC.

15. Bree New Member
    Actually it wouldn't. You are making an assumption that the disk is not encrypted... OK, encryption aside, it does. I tested using the recovery environment command prompt before posting.

Thema:

1. Is there ANY Way to Save a Tiny File to a Restricted Folder? - Similar Threads - Save Tiny File

2. Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...: Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted application. Asking for Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-restrict-browser-access-but/bfd40041-5f6f-43c0-87c5-ee325eb4397d
  3. Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...: Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted application. Asking for Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-restrict-browser-access-but/bfd40041-5f6f-43c0-87c5-ee325eb4397d
  4. Is there any way to hide "This PC" and force a user to save to their OneDrive folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to hide "This PC" and force a user to save to their OneDrive folders?: I have issues with users storing some things locally and somethings in One Drive and then not being able to maintain any consistency. Is there some way to hide "This PC" and default them to store things in their One Drive folders? submitted by /u/AstonM77 [link]...
  5. Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?

Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?: Any way to do this or am I limited to only date, size, and type? submitted by /u/greatbuy99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjf5e8/is_there_any_way_to_sort_files_any_way_i_want_in/
  6. Is there any way to disable auto-complete filenames on saving files?

Is there any way to disable auto-complete filenames on saving files?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/wozmatic [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jipsxq/is_there_any_way_to_disable_autocomplete/
  7. Save and Save As pop up windows are tiny.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save and Save As pop up windows are tiny.: Save & Save As pop up windows are TINY. Makes for both clutter and frustration trying to find the folder I want to save into. How do I 'enlarge' the window? Many Thanks...
  8. Any way to rename the "File folder" type?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any way to rename the "File folder" type?: I want to organize files by type but have shortcuts and folders on top. I was able to rename the Shortcut file type to .shortcut with the help of the Types app, which puts it on top, but I'm unable to rename the "File folder" type. Any way to change this type too? Or any...
  9. Folder columns - Any way to save a new template?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder columns - Any way to save a new template?: I have customized my MP3 music collection's tags and Window's "Music" view to my preference. However I have some non-music MP3s that are podcasts and I'd like the column order to be different for them. As far as I can tell, individual folders can be customized and they will...
  10. Any way to restrict P2P updates to specific networks?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Any way to restrict P2P updates to specific networks?: Is there any way to restrict the peer to peer sharing of Windows Updates (WUDO, just so this shows up in searches) to only specific local networks? I know I can say to get/share updates with PCs on the local network, or local plus internet. But I'd like to restrict this...