Windows 10: Is there anyway to pick and choose the Forced win 10 downloads :(

Discus and support Is there anyway to pick and choose the Forced win 10 downloads :( in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Win 10 home - just purchased on ASUS computer (don't know how to determine "build" ) New to win 10 and I really Hate that microsoft forces... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by vilontano, May 16, 2016.

1. vilontano Win User

Is there anyway to pick and choose the Forced win 10 downloads :(

Hi

Win 10 home - just purchased on ASUS computer
    (don't know how to determine "build" )
    New to win 10 and I really Hate that microsoft forces downloads!!!
    Has anyone been able to restore the pick and choose function of "the good old days" ?

It is not only annoying when you are working and suddenly everything slows down or freezes - I have never Immediately
    downloaded updates since Vista - after getting some really nasty effects when they were first released

any help appreciared

:)

vilontano, May 16, 2016
  2. Cos_ Win User

Win 10 Ver 1607 How to pick and choose which updated are installed (Metered Connection)

Win 10 Ver 1607

PC loses internet when 1703 update is loaded. Microsoft advised me to

"Services.MSC"

"Windows Update"

Change to "Disable" from "Manual".

After following their instructions, As an experiment I switched back to manual and hitting check updates several security updates for 1607 downloading themselves. All but on installed. It also pushed the 1703 again and is waiting for a restart to install
    one of the security updates and 1703.

How can I install just the security update without the 1703 (which will cut off my internet).

There is something, somewhere about not automatically downloading if you have a metered connection. Could that help?

I do not think my connection is metered, it is a coax, through a modem, through a router, flat bill every month, still maybe I could use this to pick and chose which updates I get?

A. How could I switch to "Metered Connection"?

B. If I do, could I pick and chose updates, so I could get security updates for 1607, malicious software update for 1607, but not be forced to 1703?

C. What are the pitfalls of doing this? How could it hurt me.

3. Win 10 Ver 1607 How to pick and choose which updated are installed (Metered Connection)

Hi,

A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data
    limit associated with it. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections can be set to metered but aren't by default. Some apps might work differently on a metered connection to help reduce your data usage. Also, some updates for Windows won't be installed automatically.
    Windows will automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections. In that case, Windows will
    automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.

Moreover, In Windows 10, your PC or device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific update might temporarily
    cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

Let us know if you have clarifications.

Regards.

Darian Tab, May 16, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 16, 2016
  5. flybynite Win User
    Windows 10 works differently than the previous Operating Systems. All updates are cumulative. So, if you don't install the update on 12 April, but decide to update on 15 May, the 12 April update will be included. In this way you do not have a whole slew of updates like in the good old days. You only have the one.

flybynite, May 16, 2016
  6. vilontano Win User
    That's actually pretty concerning - so if a particular update screws up your system - there is no way to ever get rid of it?
    So what is the value of "uninstalling" any update if it just comes back under a different update?

vilontano, May 16, 2016
  7. vilontano Win User
    I saw those - but they do not allow you to pick and choose among updates - like in the previous window systems
    : (
    if you disable automatic updates is there a way to manually download only those you want?

vilontano, May 16, 2016
  8. flybynite Win User

Due to the communications between your OS, and Microsoft known as telemetry, anonymized data sent back will report any problems you, and others have with updates, and they get fixed straight away. This is unlike previous Operating Systems where it could take quite awhile for anything to get fixed.

flybynite, May 16, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No, but you can hide the updates you don't want to install.

Brink, May 16, 2016
  10. vilontano Win User
    I have that software you can run to hide updates - but it appears to only work AFTER
    the update has downloaded and you've uninstalled it
    ; (
    - I've run it with pending updates that I wanted to defer and it says "no updates to hide"
    - it seems it only prevents a bad update from being re-installed

But Thanks for the reply

vilontano, May 17, 2016
  11. vilontano Win User
    Yes it is great that perhaps they fix it faster than they used to but some updates have really reeked havoc for some people
    - one people couldn't even uninstall - I'd like to avoid that ....

That is really my question - in win 10 home is there anyway to STOP a particular update, maybe a third party software or a hack
    (other than stopping them all together - I know how to do that - I'd I'd rather not)

vilontano, May 17, 2016
  12. You can use Windows Update MiniTool, but disabling WU is not as easy as it used to be, not on Home at least. *Sad

TairikuOkami, May 17, 2016
  13. vilontano Win User

Thanks so much I do believe this is what will work for me.

vilontano, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there anyway to pick and choose the Forced win 10 downloads :( - Similar Threads - anyway pick choose

2. Is there anyway to disable Win+I shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there anyway to disable Win+I shortcut?: Hi, I have a faulty keyboard and I am unable to have it repaired immediately. I problem is that it keeps opening Settings due to the Win+I shortcut being triggered. This is very annoying when you're trying to get work done! Using an external keyboard doesn't seem to help...
  3. Forced to pick a password when installing Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forced to pick a password when installing Windows 10.: Hi, When I installed Windows 10, I was forced to pick a password to open the desktop whether I wanted too or not and believe me I didn't want to, but I couldn't go any further unless I did. So, how can I delete the password, and just not have to have the hassle of entering...
  4. PC restarts if I don't choose shutdown anyway

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC restarts if I don't choose shutdown anyway: As the title says: my PC restarts if I don't choose shutdown anyway. I find it really annoying since i have never had this issue before so sometimes i just leave the pc expecting it to shutdown and then find it powered on when i wake up the next day. I have tried everything...
  5. PC restarts if I don't choose restart anyway

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC restarts if I don't choose restart anyway: As the title says: my PC restarts if I don't choose restart anyway. I find it really annoying since i have never had this issue before so sometimes i just leave the pc expecting it to shutdown and then find it powered on when i wake up the next day. I have tried everything...
  6. Help choosing a Win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Help choosing a Win 10 laptop: Hi all I'd really like to find out what people's opinions are on some of the new 11 or so inch tablets with Windows 10. I gave my Chromebook 3 away to my brother who is very happy with it since he's not so hooked on windows at this point. But now I'm in search of a...
  7. Anyway of directly downloading Win 10 Anniversary Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anyway of directly downloading Win 10 Anniversary Edition: The Forum post of how to use media creation tool no longer gives option of downloading Creator vs. Anniversary edition upgrade. I need the Anniversary build for Adobe Dimensions install....
  8. Windows 10 forced download

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 forced download: I have owned windows OS PCs since Win2000. I have never had any issues until I bought my Win10 machine. I am on a limited data plan and have done everything I can think of to stop automatic windows updates because they chew up all my data allowance (win10 is updating as I...
  9. How to force Win 10 to stick to apps I choose for any file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to force Win 10 to stick to apps I choose for any file type: To whom may solve this galling problem: Since the inception of Win 10, to which I was almost forced to upgrade, despite being absolutely happy with Win 8, I have been confronted with several disturbing and downright annoying problems and quirks. Some I have been able to...
  10. Will Win 10 be a forced download?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will Win 10 be a forced download?: I apologize for this question but i have looked and cannot find the answer. Will Win 10 be a forced download. Will i have the option to install or not. [i hope this is the correct forum] thank you 8047