Windows 10: Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

Discus and support Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Usually when I do this it will sort folders and shortcuts separately. Is there anyway to list them all alphabetically? 61706 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobsagetfullhou, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

Usually when I do this it will sort folders and shortcuts separately. Is there anyway to list them all alphabetically?

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Aug 26, 2016

2. How to categorize games shortcut according to genre

Thank you for your reply, however, you misunderstood, I am not trying to sort my folders, I am trying to sort
    SHORTCUTS within a folder.

The folder is on my desktop I named it GAMES, inside that folder are shortcuts to my games. I want to sort the
    shortcuts in that folder by genre. There is only one folder, but I will have quite a few shortcuts within it. Those are what I want to sort.

In File Explorer if I open my "Game" folder then click on View
    > Group By > tags, it puts a heading over the shortcuts in the folder that says "Unspecified (45)" with the number in brackets being the number of shortcuts in that folder. I want to know how to
    tag the shortcuts so they will be sorted by the tags I add or create.

Following what you suggested, if I click on the shortcut and choose Properties >Details,
    there is no Add Tag box.

I also tried clicking on the Properties > Details of a particular game's
    "*.exe" file that the shortcut points to and it has no Add Tag box
    in context menu either.

If there is no way to add a tag what is the option there for in the first place?

If there is a different way to sort my shortcuts other than what I am trying to do I would be happy to learn that one instead.

Thanks again.

Niagara Mouse, Aug 26, 2016
  3. 409409409 Win User
    Sort files AND folders by "Date Modified" in File Explorer

Hello,

Is there a way to sort folders and individual files by "Date Modified" together? Right now, when I sort by "Date Modified," folders are automatically put at the bottom below files, even if they have been modified more recently than a file. When I'm quickly
    scanning a list, this is very distracting. How can I fix this?

409409409, Aug 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

1. There is a partial solution within Windows explorer itself:

• right-click into the folder, group by Name
    • if you like, you can then select a sort by Name

This will give you intermixed folders and files, but will insert some separators that group by letters.

2. There is a trick - type * in the search field

Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name? [​IMG]

This is not exactly equivalent to the normal explorer view.

3. Use a 3rd party file manager such as xplorer²

dalchina, Aug 26, 2016
  5. Cool the group by name thing seems like it will work okay. Thanks.

bobsagetfullhou, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name?

1. Is there anyway to sort folders and shortcuts by name? - Similar Threads - anyway sort folders

2. Sort Folder Shortcuts with File Folders - SOLVED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort Folder Shortcuts with File Folders - SOLVED: I managed to find a way to sort a folder "shortcut" alphabetically with File Folders, but I can't remember how I did it. I'm hoping that if I share the screenshots and behaviors here, someone will be able to tell me how I achieved this. If you'll notice, Canon Iris is a File...
  3. Sort Folder Shortcuts with File Folders - SOLVED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort Folder Shortcuts with File Folders - SOLVED: I managed to find a way to sort a folder "shortcut" alphabetically with File Folders, but I can't remember how I did it. I'm hoping that if I share the screenshots and behaviors here, someone will be able to tell me how I achieved this. If you'll notice, Canon Iris is a File...
  4. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  5. Sort folders by date in name

Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  6. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  8. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  9. Folder cannot sort by name

10. Sort by name, not type in folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort by name, not type in folder: Im having a big issues with folder sorting. Is there any way to actually sort by NAME? Like this: 1 Folder 2 PDF 3 PDF 4 Folder 5 TEXT Right now it sorts by type, when i choose to sort by name - makes no sense to me. Thank you....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows sort by shortcut