Windows 10: Is there hope for me to have a safe Microsoft e-mail account?

Discus and support Is there hope for me to have a safe Microsoft e-mail account? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; It may have gotten by somehow, but usually MS will not let anyone use an already existing account, nor one that’s already been used and closed. I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by MeAndMyComputer, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DavidY Win User

Is there hope for me to have a safe Microsoft e-mail account?

Thanks Hippsie,
    Apparently they get re-used after about a year. Microsoft is quietly recycling Outlook email accounts | PCWorld

Luckily the address I have isn't too bad. It's subscribed to a couple of things, but they may even be legitimate - not too spammy.

DavidY, Dec 30, 2016
  2. Tony K Win User

Thanks for that. Good to know.

Well then the best you can do is block them. Eventually they'll go away.

Tony K, Dec 30, 2016
  3. I received my re-furbished Win10 Pro laptop and in setting it up I created a new Microsoft account using outlook.com instead of Hotmail. I'm not used to the way Microsoft accounts work as I'm used to the old fashion way, just log into say for example to my Yahoo account without wondering how to interact between more than 1 computer. Is there a tutorial on using Microsoft accounts among multiple computers? When I get a 3rd Windows 10 computer, am I supposed to use the same Microsoft account already in use?

MeAndMyComputer, Dec 31, 2016
  4. Tony K Win User

Yes. I use one account for all my devices. (2 towers, 1 Laptop, and 1 Windows Phone)

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Be careful and make new accounts as Administrator, then you can delete the other account. Please ask if you're not sure of anything.

If you push on "Tutorials" on the top of this site page, you can use the custom search box to search Tutorials.

Tony K, Dec 31, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    It amazes me how much word/name "Count" is used for e-mail addresses. Started with proper internet with Sympatico.com in Toronto only couple of weeks after they became one of first Toronto IPs and Count was already taken multiple times so I made it "Countxxx. Never managed to make login in any site with just Count, always have to add something to it if I wanted to use it.
    When I returned to Serbia in '97 I managed to make an account with local provider with just "Count" but than happened ah-not-so-hilarious error when they omitted letter "O" out of it !!! Took some fight to change it because we were not amused !!

CountMike, Dec 31, 2016
  6. Tony K Win User
    Oh my! *Shock

Tony K, Dec 31, 2016
  7. I have looked at tutorials for Microsoft accounts and I'm familiar on managing accounts on one computer but what I'm not getting is this: I plan on having 3 Windows 10 computers, is the typical setup supposed to be where I use the same Microsoft account on each one of them? One of those computers is a desktop I use only for myself and family at home, a 2nd second desktop for visitors and a laptop strictly for me. If that is the case, does that mean they need to be synced with each other since they'll have the same account and password(?). If that is the case, isn't a safety factor? That's the type of tutorial I'm looking for if there is one.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 1, 2017
  8. DavidY Win User

It's totally up to you whether you want the same Microsoft account on all computers or use different ones, or indeed on none of them - you can also still use an old-school Local account to sign in and this can be admin-level if you want.

Personally I tend to use a mix of local and MS accounts. There is a minor advantage in having an admin-level MS account because it can get you out of some activation situations.

The golden rule is what Hippsie said - make sure that at all times you have at least one administrator-level account active on each machine.

DavidY, Jan 1, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    As DavidY said above, it's totally up to you what mix of account types you want to use. I use one account for all, for then they will all sync via an MS account by means of OneDrive. OneDrive is free up to a certain amount of data. (can purchase more if need be) All the settings, Modern apps' installs, desktop background, etc. are all backed up stored in a hidden file in OneDrive. If something is changed on one device/machine, it will change on all of them as per account. That's if you set it up to sync that way. You can configure MS accounts not to sync as well so each device/machine is individually personalized.

There is a "Devices" tab within each account's online account page as seen below.

Again, as David stated, you can have multiple MS accounts on one device/machine. You can have various local accounts on a device/machine or a mix of both types. Each machine/device will demand at least one Administration account (either MS or local) that cannot be deleted unless another Administration is created. So, therefore, always one. You can isolate all or some of the machines/devices from an MS account and/or the internet altogether via local accounts.

You may want to also set up family safety for all or some:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...amily-settings

https://account.microsoft.com/family...www.bing.com#/

Please keep in mind that I'm kind of rare around here in that I'm all MS. I scarcely use 3rd party software. That's just me. In all my 20+ years of using computers and since Windows 8 of which I was using MS accounts to sign in, I've never been hacked into. Perhaps lucky, but I keep all my machines/devices up to date with updates, drivers, and the like.

All important numbers have been partially whited out here and not all devices are seen:

Is there hope for me to have a safe Microsoft e-mail account? [​IMG]

Tony K, Jan 1, 2017
  10. JackK Win User
    Do you think Yahoo is safer than Hotmail ? well the last news of Yahoo don't say so !
    I have Hotmail about 10 years and I never had a problem with it .

JackK, Jan 1, 2017
  11. Thanks everyone for your answers: you answered what I wanted to know: I do have a choice and can set up each computer separately which in my case is what I want to do. I'm also fully MS, in fact IE also. I bought my first computer in 1998, a Packard Bell Win 95 OS. Within about 6 weeks it got infected even though I had all the bells & whistles so I had no idea why, I still don't but that's when I decided to at least keep my computers safe and well maintained with a standard monthly maintenance plan and system image backups. Since then I've never had an infection or any issues with IE regardless of which version. It doesn't mean I'm an expert but I just like to run things as naturally as they are supposed to do. On the system image backups, I had to use it only once and that was because of a mistake I made. I do use the original administrator occasionally but each one of my computers has a standard account. On Yahoo, I have 2 Yahoo email accounts since the "beginning of time", never had a problem and still don't: just the same the articles already mention I found very interesting. On Hotmail, I don't have an issue with it and I do know people who use it without any problems, however it's a problem on the one computer I set up with it and my JUNK happened immediately and I suppose it could certainly be related to information that's already been posted. Thanks HippsieGypsie for the family safety recommendation.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 1, 2017
  12. Mystere Win User
    some email accounts are easy for spammers to "guess", for instance if you have a common name "mike smith" or whatever, then they will simply send spam email to every variation of "mike.smith@hotmail.com" they can think of.. like "mike_smith1000@hotmail.com" and just send various permutations.. it costs them nothing.

Also, if you have another email account on a different site, and you use the same*name before the @ sign, then spammers who have your other email address will just try the same account name at all services.

Don't blame spam on the service provider, (other than Yahoo, who has legitimately been breached numerous times). There are simply way too many ways for spammers to hit an account, even without you giving it to anyone.

Mystere, Jan 1, 2017
  13. Is there hope for me to have a safe Microsoft e-mail account?

@ Mystere "Don't blame spam on the service provider, (other than Yahoo, who has legitimately been breached numerous times). There are simply way too many ways for spammers to hit an account, even without you giving it to anyone" I know what you mean and I'm glad I started this post because I've seen a lot of good comments and recommendations.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 2, 2017
  14. CountMike New Member
    Just this morning got something silly in my Gmail and Hotmail.

Is there hope for me to have a safe Microsoft e-mail account? [​IMG]

I never got even close to Snapchat and have no connection to that mcounterman24 !

CountMike, Jan 3, 2017
  15. Mystere Win User
    it looks like someone*may be mistyping their email address when they sign up for services, and you end up getting the results

Mystere, Jan 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Is there hope for me to have a safe Microsoft e-mail account? - Similar Threads - hope safe Microsoft

2. Microsoft E-Mail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft E-Mail?: Received this E-Mail "Dear ******************, We are closing all old versions of our Mailbox Today Monday, October 10, 2022, 8:34:52 PM. We hereby inform you that your *********** account will be closed in the next 24 hours, If you fail to verify your email account with the...
  3. Microsoft E-Mail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft E-Mail?: Received this E-Mail "Dear ******************, We are closing all old versions of our Mailbox Today Monday, October 10, 2022, 8:34:52 PM. We hereby inform you that your *********** account will be closed in the next 24 hours, If you fail to verify your email account with the...
  4. Change of e-mail and chance of Microsoft account to be associated with e-mail instead of phone.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change of e-mail and chance of Microsoft account to be associated with e-mail instead of phone.: Hi,I have two problems I need help with:1. I need to change the e-mail address of my Microsoft account. Normally this would be easy, but I seem to already have created a Microsoft account with this e-mail address. I don't remember it and I don't use it. This e-mail address,...
  5. Change of e-mail and chance of Microsoft account to be associated with e-mail instead of phone.

Change of e-mail and chance of Microsoft account to be associated with e-mail instead of phone.: Hi,I have two problems I need help with:1. I need to change the e-mail address of my Microsoft account. Normally this would be easy, but I seem to already have created a Microsoft account with this e-mail address. I don't remember it and I don't use it. This e-mail address,...
  6. Forgot my microsoft e-mail account with no recovery e-mail and phone number

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Forgot my microsoft e-mail account with no recovery e-mail and phone number: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad L-430 that i got from my workplace. Then I decided to upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10 I then register a microsoft account on it, but never put recovery e-mail and phone number on it because I was afraid that the laptop will return to my office with my...
  7. Forgot my microsoft e-mail account with no recovery e-mail and phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgot my microsoft e-mail account with no recovery e-mail and phone number: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad L-430 that i got from my workplace. Then I decided to upgrade from Win10 to Win8.1. I then register a microsoft account on it, but never put recovery e-mail and phone number on it because I was afraid that the laptop will return to my office with my...
  8. Forgot my microsoft e-mail account with no recovery e-mail and phone number

Forgot my microsoft e-mail account with no recovery e-mail and phone number: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad L-430 that i got from my workplace. Then I decided to upgrade from Win10 to Win8.1. I then register a microsoft account on it, but never put recovery e-mail and phone number on it because I was afraid that the laptop will return to my office with my...
  9. e mail accounts and microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    e mail accounts and microsoft accounts: It is so tiring that every time I use an account that signing in is so much bs . Every time I try to enter your company says I'm wrong . So I enter it again , again you tell me I'm wrong . No darn way . I have been working this problem for several days . You just will not let...
  10. e mail account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    e mail account: I have downloaded Apache Open Office 4 and my outgoing email is routed through Microsoft MAIL. I would like to change that to Webmail. Can this be done??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-mail-account/5e009353-44ca-4150-a437-3d30e9bc201c