Windows 10: Is there really no way to restore an x86 image over an x64 install?

Discus and support Is there really no way to restore an x86 image over an x64 install? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been pretty satisfied with Window's built-in disk-image creation and restoration tool (the one still called "Windows 7 Backup and Restore") ...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by mc510, May 10, 2017.

1. mc510 Win User

Is there really no way to restore an x86 image over an x64 install?

I've been pretty satisfied with Window's built-in disk-image creation and restoration tool (the one still called "Windows 7 Backup and Restore") ... but recently tried to restore a image of an x86 Windows 10 installation onto a drive that had x64 Windows 10 installed, and Windows refused to do so. Saying, basically, you can only restore x86 over x86, and x64 over x64. Is there really no way around this? I don't get why Windows cares what is on the target disk, since it is going to be totally written over.

What I did is: Had Win10 x64 installed on internal SSD. Booted from an x86 Recovery USB. Got a message that x86 Recovery wouldn't work with x64 installation. Booted from x64 Recovery USB. Then plugged-in my external USB drive, which has the x86 image on it. Then Windows refused to restore it to the computer's internal SSD. So I had to do a full-disk clean install of x86 on the SSD, and only then was I able to restore the x86 image onto the SSD.

:)

mc510, May 10, 2017

2. Is there really no way to manually install an application if my phone doesn't have an SD card slot?

Seriously? There is no way to install .xap files on a my Windows Phone 8X? Any plans to release a fix to this "feature"?

ArielSteiner, May 10, 2017
  3. garym123 Win User
    Is there really no way to manually install an application if my phone doesn't have an SD card slot?

With the 8.1 update you can install apps from xap files on the phone.

garym123, May 10, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

News to me. Can you be more precise about the message you got?

5. Get Macrium Reflect it is way better than MS's build in one, even the free v6 is better.

Josey Wales, May 10, 2017
  6. mc510 Win User
    Unfortunately I didn't write down exactly what it said, and it was a week ago. The gist of it was that it would only restore an x64 image.

Yeah, I know, but right now I'm just interested to know if this is a genuine limitation of Windows recovery, or if I'm just not doing it the right way.

mc510, May 10, 2017
  7. SIW2 Win User

Are you sure you were using 32 bit winre/recovery media ?

8. Is there really no way to restore an x86 image over an x64 install?

"I'm just interested to know if this is a genuine limitation of Windows recovery, or if I'm just not doing it the right way."
    I know what you mean.
    I can only speculate right now but when you did the clean install the drive was fully cleaned in the process.
    On your original attempt, were the x86 & x64 the same version as each other?

MeAndMyComputer, May 10, 2017
  9. mc510 Win User
    I tried it both ways. First I tried x86 Recovery USB, and that one gave me an error message because it didn't match the x64 that was installed on the computer. Then I tried x64 Recovery USB, and got the message that my x86 image file was not compatible.

mc510, May 10, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    I strongly suspect your issue is because drive is UEFI gpt formatted as it is 64 bit, and you cannot restore a 32bit image to a UEFI drive without converting it to mbr legacy bios drive.

You would have to wipe drive first and convert drive to mbr first.

cereberus, May 10, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    All the above leads to the issue of having to do clean installs if changing from 32-bit to 64-bit versions of Operating Systems or from 64-bit to 32-bit versions of an OS.

Berton, May 10, 2017
  12. SIW2 Win User
    Could be the firmware doesn't support it. Seems to be mobile devices that do.

13. mc510 Win User

Would this also be the case if I were using Macrium Reflect, instead of Windows' built-in imaging tool? In other words, is there never a way to write an x86 Windows 10 image over an existing x64 Windows 10 installation, regardless of what tool is used?

mc510, May 10, 2017
  14. SIW2 Win User
    If your current installation is one hard drive gpt style, you would need to change it to mbr for 32 bit to work.

(Assuming you firmware doesn't support 32 bit efi )

Would be the same with any imaging software.

15. cereberus Win User
    If the 64bit version is mbr, it would work.

cereberus, May 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Is there really no way to restore an x86 image over an x64 install? - Similar Threads - really restore x86

2. x86 or x64 processor help please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    x86 or x64 processor help please: Hi I'm trying to change my PC from 32bit to 64 to utilise the new 12GB Ram. Recently updated from 7 to 10.I understand I need x64 based processor to do this. I'm stuck because I have the following conflicting info.In system information it says PC based on x86: But About PC...
  3. Restoring from System Image Backup Over Network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from System Image Backup Over Network: I recently wiped my drives because of a BSOD, but I have a system image over my network that i have on my home server. I was wondering if it is possible to restore that system image from over the network after reinstalling windows 10? Also is it possible to reuse the windows...
  4. Question whether installing w10 x86 or x64 - addressable memory

Question whether installing w10 x86 or x64 - addressable memory: I have a w7 pc (x86) with 3GB RAM + 2GB dedicated VRAM. So it's 5GB addressable RAM in total, right? Do I need x64? System is x64 capable. 171337
  5. Upgrade x86 to x64 Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade x86 to x64 Windows 10: Hey folks, I'm about to upgrade an x86 win 10 to x64, do I need to know my license key? I have read online that I shouldn't need to as its already licensed, but I've also read people who've had to input it again. I've had no luck locating the installation DVD, must have...
  6. Not able to change x86 windows to x64

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to change x86 windows to x64: Hey guys im using a 32 bit os on 64 bit processor but my pc wont allow me to change it . Pls help me.Im stuck with a staggering amount of hardware reserved ram as well.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Wndows 10 x86,x86 based PC but x64 based processor,can it go x64

in Windows 10 Support
    Wndows 10 x86,x86 based PC but x64 based processor,can it go x64: Hello, I have a 32 bit windows 10 and x86 based pc but x64 based processor,originally it was a windows 10 64 bit and x64 based pc but my hard drive broke and got bad sector,it got fixed my a computer fixer but he installed 32 bit instead of 64 bit,i have a windows 10 x64...
  8. The results are in, x86 vs x64

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    The results are in, x86 vs x64: Not sure where to put this so if its in the wrong place please move it. Been testing my machine (see specs) with PC Mark 8 Home on my dual boot SSD. According to PC Mark the score for x86 on the home test the score is 2004 and using win 10 x64 the score is 2190. So I am...
  9. X86 to X64 architecture

X86 to X64 architecture: A friend's computer was updated from Windows 7 Ultimate X86 to Windows 10 X86. I noticed that his system is X64 based architecture. Can he do a clean install/reinstall from X86 to X64 without losing his activation? If so, how? Thank you in advance. 54151
  10. BIOS won't recognize x64 installer, but regconized x86 installer

BIOS won't recognize x64 installer, but regconized x86 installer: My netbook is DENVER NBW-10004N. It was running Windows 10 64-bit but the boot file was corrupted so i had to format and install clean Windows 10 32-bit. Now i got another problems. Audio driver is not working, battery icon not showing and brightness is not working and Wi-Fi...