Windows 10: Is this a dying HDD? What to do now?

Discus and support Is this a dying HDD? What to do now? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all! Today, I turned on my PC as always. I was in the room next to the PC, and it striked as odd the Windows startup sound wasn't playing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Persheis, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Persheis Win User

Is this a dying HDD? What to do now?

Hello all!

Today, I turned on my PC as always. I was in the room next to the PC, and it striked as odd the Windows startup sound wasn't playing. I came back to check, and a message appeared regarding Analyzing and Repairing my E unit, a secondary drive. This drive was old, but kept going strong for some years, until (it seems) today. The drive was working flawlessly yesterday's night.

The checkup finished and Windows launched. There was my desktop, still intact, but in order to check things out, I tried to access the file explorer. Disk E was listed, but didn't show any remaining space info or anything, and also couldn¡t be accessed. Explorer started to hang up, so I exited the window. Using PotPlayer, I tried to navigate to the Disk, resulting in the same issue.

Tried opening Disk Management to no avail, as it would hang while checking the disks info.
    Since acting fast and not straining the drive is prime in this situation, I decided to turn off the PC. Explorer wasn't responding, so I had to Alt-F4 to shutdown. As expected, shutdown process also hanged. After waiting some time, and making sure the HDD activity LED was off, I forcibly turned off the PC using the power button hold.

I haven't booted the drive up again since then, to make sure no further damage is done.

So guys, here come the questions.

Could this be a Windows issue rather than a hardware issue? Maybe it didn't recognize the drive correctly and tried to repair a half-detected drive.

In case this is hardware related, what tools would you recommend for trying to recover info? This drive was 400GB of anime, music and some old photos, but it would be a pain to redownload everything once again. Any free tools would be great.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions!

:)

Persheis, Mar 1, 2016
  2. josekym Win User

What to do with Nokia6500c?

Tried replacing the battery on it first? It may have been worn out previously, so naturally it doesn't hold a charge as long when compared to a fresh battery. A dying battery can also give charging "problems" like you mentioned.

josekym, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Nokia Sensor - what do you think?

I'm *dying* to try this on my N80. Does anyone have an update on when this will be available on the N Series?

ricktravers, Mar 1, 2016
  4. Slugger Win User

BACKUP NOW. Macrium Reflect Free Macrium Reflect Free

If you don't have an external drive. I notice Bestbuy are selling Western Digital
    My Passport Ultra 2TB External USB for $88.
    Use CrystalDiskInfo to see the status of your drive.

Slugger, Mar 1, 2016
  5. Persheis Win User
    Great, thanks!
    I haven't connected it to the PC yet (SATA and Power cables are disconnected, so the drive isn't active right now).
    Should I do it via USB or from the PC's inside (connected to a SATA port).

Persheis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is this a dying HDD? What to do now? - Similar Threads - dying HDD

2. Critical Process Died Error can not fix as No OS Found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Critical Process Died Error can not fix as No OS Found: Hello, I have been using Windows 10 Pro for past 3 years installed on Samsung EVO 850 pro 512GB SSD Drive. Everything was working fine until 2 days back when windows got updated, a couple of minutes after booting windows the PC powered off on its own and upon restart I get...
  3. [Acer Swift 3] - Unexpected Store Exception, Critical Process Died,etc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [Acer Swift 3] - Unexpected Store Exception, Critical Process Died,etc: Hello friends, I've been getting a lot of Bsod over the past five months. They just showed up out of nowhere, mostly Unexpected Store Exception and Critical Process Died errors. Here's what will happen. 1. I'll start getting Unexepcted Store Exception errors infrequently. 2....
  4. can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died

in Windows 10 Support
    can't access files moved from Windows XP system HDD that died: I recently lost a Dell Windows XP 64bit laptop to a dead motherboard; however, my hard drive was fine and the computer was 8 years old, so rather than replacing a laptop motherboard (and possibly other components), I upgraded to an HP Spectre X360 15 laptop with Windows 10...
  5. HDD is about to die

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD is about to die: I wont be able to tell which one it is because I have 2 or 3 of the same drive, is it ok to keep it plugged in once it dies though? HD Sentinel reports it has Current health: 18 % Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring HITACHI HDT721010SLA360 138968
  6. External HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization?: Hey! I've had this external HDD for close to a year, and to be fair I haven't been as careful with it as I should have been. The HDD has "died" on me two times earlier, this being my third time struggling with it. 99% of the time it won't be recognized or even start up, but...
  7. Activating Windows 10 Pro from died HDD to a new one.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 Pro from died HDD to a new one.: Hi there :) I was wondering if i can activate my Windows 10 Pro on another harddrive. My old harddrive died, mostly because my old motherboard wasnt compatible with new Windows update,so i bought a new hdd and new motherboard. Is it possible to activate windows thats tied...
  8. hdd prob: my SSD has died and need to reinstall windows 10

hdd prob: my SSD has died and need to reinstall windows 10: hi there my SSD has died and need to reinstall windows 10. I had a digital upgrade from 7. can I download an install disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-prob/b4a652c5-976d-4a1a-8f4f-e3b50e0a01d5
  9. Need Help with dying drive & dual HDD Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Help with dying drive & dual HDD Windows 10 installation: Greetings, ok, I'm kind of at a crossroads here and want to make sure I make the right step forward. Here's my situation: I have a pc I built myself (specs in my profile) with Windows 10 installed on a normal 500GB HD. A year ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 onto a...
  10. Previous laptop died, do I need to sysprep to move HDD to new machine?

Previous laptop died, do I need to sysprep to move HDD to new machine?: Saturday night I was working on my Windows 8.1 Dell laptop (about 5 years old) when I heard a "pop" from the back of the laptop and it went dark. I'm 99% sure it's the system board. I keep regular backups, but had made some changes to some code (one of my jobs at work is...