Windows 10: Is this a hard drive dying issue?

Discus and support Is this a hard drive dying issue? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Had a friend call me the other night asking for help about her PC. She said it would not boot up. It tries, but it just sits there "spinning" and not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NotRite, Nov 13, 2017.

1. NotRite Win User

Is this a hard drive dying issue?

Had a friend call me the other night asking for help about her PC. She said it would not boot up. It tries, but it just sits there "spinning" and not loading. She said she had Windows 10 and has had it since last year. I get there, start the PC and immediately I see it's booting up in Windows 7. It would never finish loading. I tried booting to safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, startup repair with a disc but could not ever get the PC to completely load any OS whether it be Win10 or 7. It would load a screen that said "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners but it would not load the desktop or anything. By the way I got to "Safe Mode" by pressing F8, which is Win7 and not Win 10.

I took the hard drive out of the laptop and connected it to a SATA/IDE converter and connected it to a separate machine. When it finally showed her hard drive on my PC, it showed 3 partitions. When I clicked on each and every one of them it showed that there was not anything on them!?

Googling this issue has not provided any answers either so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas they will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

:)

NotRite, Nov 13, 2017

2. My laptop takes too long to start more than 5 hours

Looks like your hard drive is dying.

Shenan Stanley, Nov 13, 2017
  3. Linney Win User
    Linney, Nov 13, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

I don't have a answer for you.....but ran into the exact same problem with a friends laptop....it was a HP laptop. I pulled the HDD and connected it to my desktop via case docking station (love that feature on my case). Once my PC found it, it had 2 partions......C/D partitions where the D partition was the OEM factory image. Both were completely empty. I couldn't get it to boot up with anything I had or could find on the web.

What I ended up doing was just formatting the laptop using HP's method of entering the OEM factory recovery setup and then just let it do it's thing. Turn of PC....then turn it on and keep tapping the F11 key until it enters the HP recovery software.

Plankton, Nov 13, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you can check the disk:
    e.g.
    a. use a program such as Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) which will give you a very clear indication (assumes you have the disk as an external disk to a functioning PC)
    b. get Kyhi's boot disk from the top of the software and apps section here, create a bootable disk, boot the original PC from it and use HD Tune

If the disk is physically ok, you may have suffered some corruption of a critical part of the file system or partition structure, in which case a recovery program may help if you are very lucky.

I hope your friend routinely uses disk imaging as we so often recommend. Recovery to a new disk would then be quite straightforward.

dalchina, Nov 13, 2017
  6. kimkl Win User
    Yea sounds like when i tried dual-booting for the first time many ehh some years ago *Biggrin ended up with just the boot loader more then once but still sux to learn it the hard way, last note MAKE SURE DRIVES ARE EMPTY *Biggrin amazing how disc failure some times make the "cup" seem empty so check to be sure and do not trust MS when it claims no info is to be found we all remember the missing drive/drive letter some months back yea that was fun. so run a check disk or what ever you have handy the hdd might come to life again or like The Guru above i hope she uses backups i constantly have between 3-5 or 10 yea a bit much backups just in case and cloning a SSD does not take to long best of luck m8

kimkl, Nov 13, 2017
  7. NotRite Win User
    Thank you everyone.

dalchina....um no she did not /does not do any backing up whatsoever. First thing I asked her. LOL. I can almost guarantee you she will from now on. Thanks for the other advice. I will download Sentinel and give that a shot this weekend.

kimkl....thank you for your reply as well. I have had a similar experience to what you mentioned a few years back myself. I have been backing up to 2 external hard drives for the last 5-6yrs ever since!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I knew this was the go to place for me to confirm what I what I thought was happening.

NotRite, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is this a hard drive dying issue? - Similar Threads - hard drive dying

2. Hard Drive issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive issues: I don't think this is a Windows-related problem but why can't I safely eject my hard drive after I add new information such as a new file, shortcut, etc. It's like my Hard Drive is incapable of storing data. Why?...
  3. Hard Drive Died, Install Windows On New Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Died, Install Windows On New Drive: The hard drive in my Windows 10 laptop died. If I buy a new hard drive is there a way I can install Windows 10 on it without having to buy a new copy? The laptop won't boot in Windows, I can only access the files on the old laptop using a Linux Live USB. If I go into my...
  4. dying hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dying hard drive: My hard drive is dying. Several times each week, it crashes and I get an error message "Hard drive failure. Press F1 to reboot". Sometimes F1 works, sometimes I need to power off and restart, and sometimes I have to boot from a rescue CD. I want to buy a new hard drive and...
  5. Hard Drive issues

Hard Drive issues: Having an issue with my external hard drive. I just updated to the new version of windows and that's when it started happening. I've tried uninstalling it, it's up-to-date on its driver, and my PC is fully up-to-date as well. The hard drive shows up on the device manager and...
  6. Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!

Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!: Hi all, I'm REALLY desperate for some help! It's a 2TB Seagate HDD. A couple days ago I ran a scan using "HD Tune" and here is the screenshot I took: HDTune-Screen-Error — ImgBB I've also got "SeaTools for Windows" installed. Any help people could offer would be much...
  7. Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Dying? PLEASE HELP!: Hi all, I'm REALLY desperate for some help! It's a 2TB Seagate HDD. A couple days ago I ran a scan using "HD Tune" and here is the screenshot I took: HDTune-Screen-Error — ImgBB I've also got "SeaTools for Windows" installed. Any help people could offer would be much...
  8. Dying Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dying Hard Drive?: Over the past two weeks my hard drive has came to concluding evidence that it is dying and I was wondering if there was anyway to fix it. Take a look at my Crystal Disk Info....
  9. My Hard drive died

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Hard drive died: My hard drive in my laptop failed . I'm having to replace the drive. I have the windows 10 home on a USB from when the disability desk helped me recover my laptop from malware. I think the hard drive was damaged from the infection because whole sectors were corrupted after...
  10. Is my hard drive dying?

Is my hard drive dying?: My system has an SSD boot drive and a secondary internal hard drive. The hard drive is assigned drive letter E. I use it for general storage, downloads, etc. Starting today the system hangs at boot time on SATA Port 6 - which is where the hard drive is connected. If I...