Windows 10: Is this a known problem with WD external drive security?

Discus and support Is this a known problem with WD external drive security? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got an external USB3 WD 4 TB drive I use for backups. It is formatted as an NTFS drive. When travelling I take the drive and hook it up to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bbinnard, Aug 6, 2018.

1. bbinnard Win User

Is this a known problem with WD external drive security?

I've got an external USB3 WD 4 TB drive I use for backups. It is formatted as an NTFS drive. When travelling I take the drive and hook it up to my laptop. So I installed the WD Drive Security software that requires a password to "unlock" the drive and make it usable. All this has worked fine for a couple of years.

About a month or so ago I encountered some errors on the drive. I think the errors were caused by a power loss to my desktop system when the drive was attached to it. At any rate I used the Tools option on drive properties to repair the drive. This seemed to work OK, but I was still getting errors on the drive's Recycle bin. So I tried running CHKDSK on it.

CHKDSK reported it could not function because the drive was a RAW format drive (whatever that is). I opened Disk Management and it reported the drive was NTFS, and that the single partition on the drive was OK. But I was still getting errors with the Recycle bin.

I took off the WD Drive Security option and that seemed to fix everything: CHKDSK scanned the drive fine and reported it as NTFS with no problems. Also, the errors with the Recycle bin stopped appearing.

Google didn't find anything about this, so maybe it was just a 1-time fluke. But maybe not.

:)

bbinnard, Aug 6, 2018

2. WD External Hard Drive problem

The IDE one isn't working, but they're in cases. They're WD MyBook's. When taken out of the case, the one that doesn't show up is set at Cable Select, which is where I'm assuming it's supposed to be on a drive in an external enclosure? I'm currently searching for some data recovery software. Other then all of this, is there any other suggestions?

Misery In Death, Aug 6, 2018
  3. cobrasl Win User
    External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

Is this a known problem with WD external drive security? [​IMG]

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

Is this a known problem with WD external drive security? [​IMG]

cobrasl, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Is this a known problem with WD external drive security?

WD Elements external drive

Hi Edward,

To assist you further, I would like to ask some questions:

• Do you get any error message?
    • How are you connecting your External Drive to your computer?

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps provided below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View all” on the top left pane.
    • Click on "Hardware and Devices" from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

Is this a known problem with WD external drive security?

1. Is this a known problem with WD external drive security? - Similar Threads - known problem external

2. WD external drive not showing in file xplorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD external drive not showing in file xplorer: Good afternoon, My external HD does not show in file xplorer windows 11. Other HD's work and the HD in question works on other computers. Nearly all the options in disk management are greyed out so most things I've seen online aren't available. I've also tried things...
  3. WD external drive not showing in file xplorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD external drive not showing in file xplorer: Good afternoon, My external HD does not show in file xplorer windows 11. Other HD's work and the HD in question works on other computers. Nearly all the options in disk management are greyed out so most things I've seen online aren't available. I've also tried things...
  4. WD external drive issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WD external drive issue: I have a WD external drive that is recognized in Control Panel of my Window 10 PC but doesn't show up in File Explorer. The drive worked until recently with this PC and it works properly when used with my Window 11 laptop Many thanks in advance Keith...
  5. WD external drive issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD external drive issue: I have a WD external drive that is recognized in Control Panel of my Window 10 PC but doesn't show up in File Explorer. The drive worked until recently with this PC and it works properly when used with my Window 11 laptop Many thanks in advance Keith...
  6. WD external drive issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. WD External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD External Drive: Upon initializing my external drive, i got a message "request failed due to fatal device hardware error". What are my options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-external-drive/9ffc4c0d-9621-4b0a-9be2-eeddddb8e2fa
  8. WD My Cloud external drive

WD My Cloud external drive: who do i install my WD My Cloud external drive to my new laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-cloud-external-drive/0e21e13b-f8bb-4d9d-a521-b088c13747c5
  9. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...
  10. Windows 10 - WD external USB drive

Windows 10 - WD external USB drive: Anybody out there having Windows 10 running and also one or more WD drives visible within Windows. None of my WD drives show up. Only after installing Western Digital's SES driver, two (of 4) show up. When installing Samsung Magician software it got me a warning that it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. known issues with WD external drives