Windows 10: Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?

Discus and support Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. My brother in law has asked me if I can install broadband in his shed, he has shown me photos of the wired sockets he has but he is unsure what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BlizzardUK, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?

Hi. My brother in law has asked me if I can install broadband in his shed, he has shown me photos of the wired sockets he has but he is unsure what they are and I can't tell for sure from that pic. Could you tell me if that socket in the photo is for a ethernet plug or a phone socket ? We live in the UK if this differs. I notice phone sockets sometimes have a similar design to them. Once I go there I will know as I can try a ethernet plug, but right now I am not able to get there so want to do some preparation first.

Thanks for any help. Photo below.............

Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ? [​IMG]

:)

BlizzardUK, Apr 24, 2017

2. 6280 will not charge

If its not the charger then its probably the socket on the phone, take them both to a service centre. 6280s are known for damaged charger sockets.

megadodo---01, Apr 24, 2017
  3. What is this extra socket on Nokia 5030

There isn't an official cable available for that port. It's function is for servicing purposes only at a nokia care point.

Any unofficial products that you may find by searching google may damage the phone and cannot be discussed here.

psychomania---01, Apr 24, 2017
  4. Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?

It appears to be an Ethernet connection to me. I'm in the US, but I believe that's standard around the World. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

NJsKing321, Apr 24, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    In the UK a phone socket/plug has the locking clip on one of the narrow sides, while an Ethernet socket/plug has it in the middle of the longer side. That one is Ethernet.

6. Thanks. What confuses me though is a RJ11 / RJ14 phone plug also looks the same (no side clips on those) but is for BT and not ethernet. I agree though that this looks like ethernet due to how wide it is. Although ethernet (RJ45) usually have 8 pins and not 10 as the image suggests.

BlizzardUK, Apr 24, 2017
  7. Old telco type US, appears by pins to be Ethernet too many pins to be modular telephone cord.

Ethernet is relatively standardized across world. Telco roll of the dice 4-pins maybe for US.

UK is anyone's guess. Spent a good half hour trying to change a bulb in UK in the 70's. 2-piece socket, really

Frozenoem1, Apr 25, 2017
  8. Bandit233 Win User

Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?

Looks more like a BT phone jack than an ethernet RJ-45 jack. As Blizzard UK mentioned, it's 10 pin instead of 8. Also, it's not a female port, you can't fit a male RJ-45 plug into that.

Bandit233, Apr 25, 2017
  9. pcgeek11 Win User
    That looks like an RJ48 Port or RJ45-10C.

pcgeek11, Apr 25, 2017
  10. Barman58 Win User
    Looks like a standard RJ50 10 Pin socket for bar code readers

RJ50 Connector - 10P10C - Flat Stranded Cable | ShowMeCables.com

If it passes the tests showing that all the connectors are actually connected and connected correctly there's no issue with making up some Patch cables for each end of the cable to save having run an 8 core RJ45 set-up - My link even shows a source for the plugs

Barman58, Apr 25, 2017
  11. Mystere Win User
    It's hard to tell from the picture, which is why you've gotten so many different answers. If it's a standard RJ-45, which is an 8-pin socket, it is often installed for either phone or Ethernet, and just wired differently depending on the use. You can plug both an Ethernet and a phone cable into them.

The real answer will come with examining how it's wired, and/or how it's connected at the junction box.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ?

1. Is this a phone socket or ethernet socket ? - Similar Threads - phone socket ethernet

2. CPU Ripped out of socket

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU Ripped out of socket: I was replacing thermal paste on my cpu. But when I took the coole off the cpu was stuck to it. And when I put the cpu back in the socket the computer starts but eith black screen. I have looked for bent pins and there isn't any....
  3. Sockets Bind Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sockets Bind Error: Hello there, I have a client and a server socket.When I execute server it's all fine but when I execute client to respond at the same port I get an error bind #10048 let me show you the code until bind function from server file: #define DEFAULT_BUFLEN 512 #define...
  4. Motherboard CPU socket...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard CPU socket...: I'm trying to update my CPU - I purchased the Intel Core i5 9400 LGA1151... it does not fit in the socket of my motherboard. How can I find out the socket size if I do not have the original motherboard manual or anything?...
  5. Connecting PC to Router using a second phone socket

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting PC to Router using a second phone socket: Hi. My ADSL router/modem is in the lounge and is connected to a phone socket there. My PC is in the bedroom and I have a nano USB adapter for wifi connection. I've been looking into Powerline kits and a thought occurred to me: there's an unused phone socket in my bedroom....
  6. Problem with earphone jack and socket....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with earphone jack and socket....: Still getting used to Win 10 but due to poorish hearing have always used earphone's with an amplifier on Win7. However on Win 10 the headphone icon by the socket on the side of the laptop (Lenovo G50) looks as though it's blanked off, though there is a thin circle around it...
  7. Sockets error ????

Sockets error ????: Hi there Why does Windows Networking have to be so Horrible -- I've run loads of Linux machines with NO network problems at all -- but Windows networking always causes hassle -- sometimes even on machines that have worked suddenly stop working for no reason I can find....
  8. Wall socket ethernet connection stopped working

Wall socket ethernet connection stopped working: when I installed another one to a PC downstairs. We've only just noticed, as we have wireless as well, but my wife said her connection was slow; checked it and the ethernet connection had gone. Unplugged it at both ends and plugged them back in but no go. Downstairs...
  9. Web Socket Error

Web Socket Error: Can someone please explain to me what this means and what causes it: SCRIPT12030: SCRIPT12030: WebSocket Error: Network Error 12030, The connection with the server was terminated abnormally TIA, Richard 99050
  10. USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket

in Windows 10 Support
    USB3 HDD slower in USB3 socket than powered USB2 socket: Hi there crazy --I have a laptop with 1 USB3 socket and 2 USB2 sockets. The USB3 socket is also a "charging" usb socket. Now if I plug a USB3 HDD (Toshiba) into a USB2 socket where I've connected a powered USB2 hub I'm getting copy speeds of around 76 mb/s. The same HDD...