Windows 10: Is this drive toast?

Discus and support Is this drive toast? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I recently purchased a Seagate Backup Plus 6Tb to use with my Windows 10 laptop and desktop. It has exhibited weird behaviour on both PC's. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Peter2706, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Peter2706 Win User

Is this drive toast?

Hi,
    I recently purchased a Seagate Backup Plus 6Tb to use with my Windows 10 laptop and desktop. It has exhibited weird behaviour on both PC's. I formatted it (with the PC) exFAT to copy 3.5 Tb from a mac machine (not mine - honest) which went fine, but since trying to use it with my PC's it is only recognised occasionally, it's not a USB port issue (drivers reinstalled). Sometimes it shows up in disk mngmt and device mngr, sometimes it will work briefly. Often the windows 'drive scan and repair' dialog shows up, which after running the drive is then fine for a while until executing complex tasks (I'm transcoding video - or would be). I've used chkdsk which finds nothing. Aaargh!
    Anybody got any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Peter

:)

Peter2706, Oct 1, 2017

2. Can't delete a video file from my foldier

Oh wow thanks!!!! That peskily file is gone!! Much appreciated Is this drive toast? :D

This is Haloprov, Oct 1, 2017
  3. How do I "delete all" email messages, as opposed to one-by-one

Is there a way to "delete all" emails, as opposed to having to select and delete them one-by-one?

I get hundreds of emails per day and would like to be able to e.g. "mark all as read", then "delete all read".

Thanks!

this-is-alex, Oct 1, 2017
  4. Is this drive toast?

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Is this drive toast? [​IMG]

1. SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.

2. Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found. Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on. This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3. You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options. Please click on Long Generic Test

4. This will start the scan. When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5. The test will indicate either Pass or Fail. Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6. Click on Help, then click on View Log File. If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

FreeBooter, Oct 1, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Copying anything from a Mac can give problems as the file system is different from PC

Samuria, Oct 1, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    OP said drive was formatted as exFAT which is compatible with PCs and Macs, so should give no problems at all.

I do not think issue is specifically related to formatting, but something to do with usb drivers, or a hardware issue with drive.

cereberus, Oct 1, 2017
  7. Peter2706 Win User
    Hi, I'm posting this from my phone now as while trying to boot with drive connected resulted in no boot and an apparently corrupted OS which I'm trying to repair! Goes from bad to worse. Thanks to all. Peter

Peter2706, Oct 1, 2017
  8. Is this drive toast?

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following command will fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Code: Chkdsk D: /r[/quote]

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

FreeBooter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is this drive toast?

1. Is this drive toast? - Similar Threads - drive toast

2. how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?: I have a portable CD/DVR drive. How do I view what is on that disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-see-what-is-on-my-portable-disc-drive/064fa5c1-19c4-47a8-a077-54a5e679cb47
  3. how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?: I have a portable CD/DVR drive. How do I view what is on that disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-see-what-is-on-my-portable-disc-drive/064fa5c1-19c4-47a8-a077-54a5e679cb47
  4. how do I see what is on my portable disc drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  6. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  7. How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?: Storage usage shows 130 GB used by Installed apps, but when I click for more details, the list provided doesn't add up to that at all. Where is the rest of that 130 GB?I'm trying to add screenshots here but they won't seem to upload for some reason....
  8. How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?: Storage usage shows 130 GB used by Installed apps, but when I click for more details, the list provided doesn't add up to that at all. Where is the rest of that 130 GB?I'm trying to add screenshots here but they won't seem to upload for some reason....
  9. How do I find what's taking up space on my C drive?

10. Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port?: Hello; I found that a 32GB LEXAR USB 3.0 thrumb drive was not being fully recognized by my PC. When using File Manager and clicking on Removable disk (I:) under This PC, I am getting a prompt: Please insert a disk into Removeable Disk (I:). [The volume name used to be shown...