Windows 10: Is this much memory being used normal for firing up EDGE?

Discus and support Is this much memory being used normal for firing up EDGE? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; That screenshot is just after firing up Edge. After about 20 minutes, it calmed down to normal. I had only one tab open, the URL was Wonderwall .com... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Probe, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Probe Win User

Is this much memory being used normal for firing up EDGE?

That screenshot is just after firing up Edge. After about 20 minutes, it calmed down to normal.
    I had only one tab open, the URL was Wonderwall .com which can be a pretty memory intensive website. Flash was turned off.
    I don't use Edge that often, maybe once a week, and even then for just about 20 minutes, then it's back to Cyberfox. So, I don't know if that would have anything to do with the high memory usage, maybe it was updating? Seems awful high.

Is this much memory being used normal for firing up EDGE? [​IMG]

:)

Probe, Jul 24, 2016
  2. AkashDS Win User

Too Much Internet is being used by "svchost.exe"

Hi,

I've updated it completely now but still most of the time svchost.exe use data connection.

Also, I followed your steps but it didn't made any changes.

By the way, can you tell me what are the services or programs of Microsoft uses Internet through svchost.exe? (after disabling most of things at Privacy options).

AkashDS, Jul 24, 2016
  3. AkashDS Win User
    Too Much Internet is being used by "svchost.exe"

Hi,

I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 yesterday and I found that
    svchost.exe (netsvcs)
    uses too much Internet data. It is using too much data that I couldn't even open any website correctly, even websites like Google are having issues in loading. Is this much memory being used normal for firing up EDGE? :(

I've checked the Windows Update and found that it couldn't install some updates but it gives "Retry" option and it starts downloading updates on clicking it. So, I don't think that it is Windows Update which is using data
    connection.

So, can someone tell me what is causing svchost.exe to use large amount of data most of the time? It is too irritating that I can't use Internet properly on my computer. Is this much memory being used normal for firing up EDGE? :(

Is there anything else (except Windows Update) which uses Internet via svchost.exe?

Please help me, I'm getting too much irritating after upgrading to Windows 10.

AkashDS, Jul 24, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

I just opened Edge and went to Wonderwall, the memory usage is barely 150MB, your edge memory usage is nearly 5x mine what I would say is way too much.

EDIT: A small question, what program is it that you use for checking the memory usage?

5. AndreyT Win User
    So, what is "Mem Usage" in your case? Without knowing what program you used to generate that screenshot there's no way to say what that "Mem Usage" means.

Virtual memory allocated by the program? Working set? Something else?

AndreyT, Jul 24, 2016
  6. Probe Win User
    I'm using free "System Explorer" V.7.1, showing the "Processes" screen. In the taskbar, System Explorer icon goes solid red.

Probe, Jul 24, 2016
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Interesting.. I'm using edge with a few tabs open and I register this:

BunnyJ, Jul 24, 2016
  8. Probe Win User

That's what I thought.... maybe because I have flash turned off, trying to render sites using HTML5 does this? I don't know. One side note I just noticed, MS Defender asking to quick scan my computer more then it normally does. Its doing it now as I write. Asked twice today now, usually only asks every 4 or 5 days.

UPDATE:
    Scan completed and Defender found nothing.

Probe, Jul 24, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    What does task manager show for edge?

10. f14tomcat Win User
    @Probe A few of us stumbled on a possible reason and fix for this. If you are using CCleaner, uncheck Windows Defender box. Seems WD logs it's scan frequency somewhere in a log-type file which CCleaner sends to the dump! I think it was @Borg 386 who found this.

f14tomcat, Jul 24, 2016
  11. Probe Win User
    Thanks tomcat, I wondered why that was happening so much lately, yes, I am using CCleaner. Will uncheck Defender. I don't know what caused the spike in memory, but Edge is down to around 254,000 now, which is still high I think but acceptable I guess?

Probe, Jul 24, 2016
  12. Probe Win User
    Looks like this webpage is mem intensive too using only Edge browser, at least on my computer:
    2017 Bugatti Chiron First Look Review: Resetting the Benchmark - Motor Trend

Over 600,000 and climbing, I left the page before all the photos displayed. System Explorer solid red in the system tray. I am using "Shutup10" which has a lot of MS tracking turned off (including Cortana being disabled completely). Wonder if that would have anything to do with this.

Even Cyberfox was choking a little....getting up to 521,000 in memory use. (It's hovering around 520,000 now, but that's with 2 tabs open, where Edge was only 1 tab) >>>

Probe, Jul 26, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

*Smile ?

14. Probe Win User
    Wouldn't that show the same as System Explorer?

Probe, Jul 26, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    I don't know, does it? If you could confirm this it would be nice to know that there is no bug or something in the program you use *Smile

Thema:

1. Is this much memory being used normal for firing up EDGE? - Similar Threads - much memory being

2. Hidden Memory Being Used

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden Memory Being Used: My HD is being consumed by Apps & features, it is using 433 GB out of 460 GB total, but I might only have 30 GB worth of applications,I've read the space is used by hidden files recovery & shadow copies, I have tried Disk Cleanup with the more option/System Restore and Shadow...
  3. Hidden Memory Being Used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hidden Memory Being Used: My HD is being consumed by Apps & features, it is using 433 GB out of 460 GB total, but I might only have 30 GB worth of applications,I've read the space is used by hidden files recovery & shadow copies, I have tried Disk Cleanup with the more option/System Restore and Shadow...
  4. Too much storage being used.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Too much storage being used.: I tried watching youtube videos to see how to clear it out, I tried all those steps, but it really didn't solve the problem. When I go to the storage section in settings, it says that apps are using 129 GB. I tried to sort it out by size but there was nothing that was bigger...
  5. Too much storage being used.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Too much storage being used.: I tried watching youtube videos to see how to clear it out, I tried all those steps, but it really didn't solve the problem. When I go to the storage section in settings, it says that apps are using 129 GB. I tried to sort it out by size but there was nothing that was bigger...
  6. Too much storage being used.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows uses too much memory?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows uses too much memory?: Using task manager i see that my user is using 1.8 GB. But my computer is using 5.6 GB in total. I tried to check for memory leaks but I didn't find any. Is it normal? Like is this how windows is supposed to work? Cause it gives me some trouble when I am trying to use...
  8. Is this much memory usage normal or is there something wrong?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this much memory usage normal or is there something wrong?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/treeclapper084 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jgqfdd/is_this_much_memory_usage_normal_or_is_there/
  9. Memory uses too much RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory uses too much RAM?: Howdy, I still have the problem that my memory is used 85% of the time even though I don't have anything on. I was using Process Explorer and lo and behold, my system and the registry are using way too much RAM! How can I eliminate this problem? With kind regards...
  10. memory being eaten up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory being eaten up: Hi there! I have a HP 124BS153OD windows 10 laptop. It is a cute little laptop with very very little memory, {57GB}, so every little bit is important. It does what I want it to do, and I am happy with it. My concern is that something is eating away at what little...