Windows 10: Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...?

Discus and support Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Don't panic! *Huh I'm not ready to uninstall Windows 10 just yet but will need to eventually. But, to finish my question; is uninstall of Win 10 as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GARoss, Nov 4, 2014.

1. GARoss Win User

Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...?

Don't panic! *Huh I'm not ready to uninstall Windows 10 just yet but will need to eventually. But, to finish my question; is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as booting into Windows 7, then deleting the Windows 10 partition & re-acquiring that space back to it's original drive? Will something need to be changed in the boot log (?) so my PC wont think there's two OS still? Just asking.

As a Windows 7 user, I didn't care for the original look & feel of Win 8. Win 10 seems to have a more Win 7 look but with apps. If 10 is faster or overall more advanced than Win 7, I can't tell just yet.

With the latest update, some of the Win 10 apps crash but overall the OS appears stable. Other software installed OK; Sony Vegas 12-64 bit, iTunes & Quicktime. VLC Media Player, Apache Open Office on the open source software side install & play fine. I've had a few crashes with Chrome. All in all, Windows 10 seems solid. *Party

:)

GARoss, Nov 4, 2014
  2. DaveyCrox Win User

Windows 10: 0x800704cf Error

Oh boy, I really dread doing that stuff.

I thought this upgrading to Win 10 was going to be simple.

There was no warning when I upgraded to Win 10 that I needed to uninstall Norton antivirus.

Surely Microsoft would check this before they released Win 10 for public consumption.

DaveyCrox, Nov 4, 2014
  3. shore guy Win User
    Problems with Windows Anniversary edition.

The Win 10 Anniversary upgrade uninstalled the VPN required by my employer. But worse, the new 1607 refuses to run the simple Microsoft Solitaire from Win 8 that we've been using for a year. Anyone else missing software after the upgrade? Also, I really
    don't like the new logon background.

shore guy, Nov 4, 2014
  4. adamf Win User

Yes, you can boot into 7, delete your TP partition and then extend your 7 partition to use the free unallocated space generated. Then go into msconfig (Run then type msconfig ​and hit <enter>) and delete the boot entry for TP. That should be all.

This is assuming you are dual booting on one drive of course which it sounds like you are *Smile

adamf, Nov 4, 2014
  5. davehc Win User
    If you installed Windows 10 after Windows 7, as a dual boot, it will have installed its own boot manager as the priority.. Deleting the Windows 10 install, will also delete that boot manager.
    You will probably need to run the boot repair from the windows 7 installation dvd, in order to rectify it.

davehc, Nov 4, 2014
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
  7. GARoss Win User
    I allocated 50Gb of space for Win 10 on a high capacity storage drive, not C:.

GARoss, Nov 4, 2014
  8. GARoss Win User

Here's a look at Disk Management from the Windows 10 side. Looks like the bootmgr is on Disk 0 or Windows 7's C: (H: on Windows 10).

So, boot into Windows 7, delete Windows 10 partition and then extend that partition to use the free unallocated space generated. Then run msconfig & delete boot entry fro Windows 10 & that's it?

Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...? [​IMG]

GARoss, Nov 4, 2014
  9. Yep,
    Been there buddy do it the proper way via whs's link,
    Otherwise a mess will be made only a 7 media disk will cure *Wink
    Files might be lost
    Cheers.
    I might add 10 looks like your default os also Not a good thing to have there :/

ThrashZone, Nov 5, 2014
  10. badrobot Win User
    This is exactly what I was talking about on the other thread. Be careful. If you updated to build 9860, Win 10 took over the bootmgr. This happened to a lot of people even when Win 10 is totally on a separate drive. If you have a macrium bootable usb, you can use it to fix the boot problem after deleting 10. Just boot up to macrium, then on the left column, select "fix boot problem", select your win 7 drive and just follow the rest of the instructions. Done.

badrobot, Nov 5, 2014
  11. Just running bcdboot C:\Windows elevated worked fine for me.

cyberrufus, Nov 5, 2014
  12. GARoss Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I noticed that a the bottom of whs link is a tutorial (Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 - Delete Windows 8). The Part One of the tutorial looks like my Disk Management on Windows 7 boot.

Part Two of the tutorial refers to uEFI setup. I don't see where my PC is uEFI. My MB is a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 which uses Award BIOS. So, I don't think Pt 2 if for me.

Part One of the tutorial it doesn't mention changing msconfig to delete Windows TP. Should I?

BTW - I do have my Windows 7 install DVD & also have Oops!Back-up to restore files. If things go wrong, will the boot be repairable using in install DVD?

GARoss, Nov 5, 2014
  13. GARoss Win User

Here's how the elevated bcdedit Command is listed looks.

Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...? [​IMG]

GARoss, Nov 5, 2014
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
  15. GARoss Win User
    Sorry whs for all the questions but I'm confused.

To answer my post, No, uninstall of Windows 10 is not simple!*Confused

My PC dual boots fine. Both Windows 7 & Windows TR (10) are preforming very well. I'm not wanting to uninstall Windows TP yet, just preparing to make sure I do it correctly. Would this be the correct procedure?

• Set Windows 7 as default OS.
    • Boot into Windows 7
    • Start msconfig
    • Select Windows Technical Preview & check Make all boot settings permanent
    • Select OK to delete & exit System Configuration
    • It may be required to reboot PC (not sure).
    • After reboot or if reboot isn't required, go to Disk Management & delete Windows TP partition & add that space back to its original HDD

Is the above correct or what did I miss?

I do have my Windows 7 install DVD but not sure if anything else is needed if there's a problem. EasyBSD was suggested but why purchase software when I have the install DVD for repairs?

GARoss, Nov 5, 2014
Thema:

1. Is uninstall of Win 10 as simple as...? - Similar Threads - uninstall simple

2. how do I uninstall Microsoft 365

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I uninstall Microsoft 365: it is ridden with defects I want to get an older version of Office https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-uninstall-microsoft-365/c8048ca3-5956-4882-9201-8decbab2e4f1
  3. how do I uninstall Microsoft 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I uninstall Microsoft 365: it is ridden with defects I want to get an older version of Office https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-uninstall-microsoft-365/c8048ca3-5956-4882-9201-8decbab2e4f1
  4. how do I uninstall Microsoft 365

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to uninstall or disable the caps lock pop-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to uninstall or disable the caps lock pop-up: Hey, i have an issue with a specific new feature that just started to appear on my laptop that i don't like, It looks bad, it's slow and otherwise useless since my laptop already shines a light whenever caps lock is activated.I tried finding every single answer, control panel...
  6. How to uninstall or disable the caps lock pop-up

How to uninstall or disable the caps lock pop-up: Hey, i have an issue with a specific new feature that just started to appear on my laptop that i don't like, It looks bad, it's slow and otherwise useless since my laptop already shines a light whenever caps lock is activated.I tried finding every single answer, control panel...
  7. How to uninstall or disable the caps lock pop-up

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. A simple attempt to uninstall and reinstall Sea of Thieves led to a whole list of other...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A simple attempt to uninstall and reinstall Sea of Thieves led to a whole list of other...: I was trying to redownload sea of thieves when Microsoft store greyed out the install button or it got stuck on starting download. It also can't be my download or upload speeds because my download and upload speeds are around 300mbps. I then assumed updating my pc which is...
  9. A simple attempt to uninstall and reinstall Sea of Thieves led to a whole list of other...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A simple attempt to uninstall and reinstall Sea of Thieves led to a whole list of other...: I was trying to redownload sea of thieves when Microsoft store greyed out the install button or it got stuck on starting download. It also can't be my download or upload speeds because my download and upload speeds are around 300mbps. I then assumed updating my pc which is...
  10. A simple attempt to uninstall and reinstall Sea of Thieves led to a whole list of other...