Windows 10: Is Vmware getting generous now !!!! Windows serial works for Linux

Discus and support Is Vmware getting generous now !!!! Windows serial works for Linux in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I have a license for vmware workstation rel 14 I got from the company where I'm doing some contract work as a consultant -- it's a volume... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Oct 21, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Is Vmware getting generous now !!!! Windows serial works for Linux

Hi there

I have a license for vmware workstation rel 14 I got from the company where I'm doing some contract work as a consultant -- it's a volume license with no expiration and I've been using it on Windows 10 with no problems.

Anyway guess my surprise when I downloaded a Linux Trial version of vmware workstation rel 14 (I've been using rel 12 on my Linux Host server for a while now and wanted to upgrade it) and just thought I'd enter the Windows serial number --- it changed from Trial to permanent !!!!

Could be because the enterprise license covers all versions but those who have vmware workstations for windows could try and see if using say a trial version of the Linux version on a HOST Linux OS switches from trial to licensed.

Nothing in this post is illegal -- if vmware make an error in their licensing procedures that's THEIR problem, and my good fortune !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 21, 2017

2. Hyper-V does not boot ISO image, but VMWare Player does

I have Win 10 pro with Hyper-V. I have created a new Generation 1 and Generation 2 VM and point the ISO image to boot. On connecting and starting either of the VMs (only 1 at a time), the only thing i see is Connecting to Yogesh-Linux (which is the name
    of my VM). It does not go any further. I installed VMWare player and disabled Credential Guard as required by it and created a new VM pointing to the same ISO image. VMWare player was able to boot the image and complete the install of the Ubuntu Linux.

YogeshJiandani, Oct 21, 2017
  3. I switched to a local administrator account and enable the developer mode and the Windows feature s list refused to show Linux on Windows subsystem as an option.

It turns out the Linux subsystem for Windows module is only compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows 10 not the 32 bit version in VMWare

CyberVulcan, Oct 21, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

The point of volume licences is they can be used multiple times but companies often have a limited number of licence installs, and they need to manage them.

I cannot say if this applies to vmware workstation licences, but there is a fair chance. I have used licensed software, and company could tell how many times it had been activate and by whom.

So you may have (unintentionally) taken one of the company's quota without asking.

If it was me, I would delete the linux vmware workstation.

I am sure you do not want to be seen to doing something wrong by a valuable client?
    I could be totally wrong, but are you willing to take the risk?

cereberus, Oct 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Is Vmware getting generous now !!!! Windows serial works for Linux - Similar Threads - Vmware getting generous

2. Serial adapter does not work now with windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serial adapter does not work now with windows 11: Since installing windows 11 update, my USB- Serial device is not working the device manager keeps telling me to update the driver but when I try windows tells me I have the latest update. How do I uninstall Windows 11?...
  3. Serial adapter does not work now with windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serial adapter does not work now with windows 11: Since installing windows 11 update, my USB- Serial device is not working the device manager keeps telling me to update the driver but when I try windows tells me I have the latest update. How do I uninstall Windows 11?...
  4. VMWare WKS / Player - what currently works on Linux Hosts

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare WKS / Player - what currently works on Linux Hosts: Hi folks what Linux Host distros are anybody using where current versions of VMWare WKS / Player really work . Please specify distro and kernel (simply from the linux console type uname -r -- you don't need sudo or su) . I've tried a few with kernel 5.9.xx and BIG fail !!...
  5. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks: Hi folks on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too. For Windows VM's -- no problem just install your VM. However there's a catch when installing a Linux distro from a live distro (those that...
  6. VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around

VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around: Hi folks I know some here run Host Linux systems and run Windows VM's using VMWare. On some distros with kernel 5.7.9 vmware won't install properly --this is because on some distros the kernel headers are back level to the 5.7.7 kernel. However upgrading to the development...
  7. VMWare / Ms and Linux distros

VMWare / Ms and Linux distros: Hi there Not sure why VMWare seems to have been having a problem with Windows hosts (latest builds) recently I've been running an absolutely leading edge Linux distro (with latest 5.3.4 kernel) and VMWare WKS 15.5 with the latest Windows build (1909) as a VM and absolutely...
  8. VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels: Hi folks If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly From your Linux Host run : wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz cd...
  9. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  10. No sound in VMware Linux Mint

No sound in VMware Linux Mint: I have installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (3.8.9) within VMware Workstation 14 Player (version 14.1.3 build-9474260) running on a Windows 10 host (1803 build 17134.285). Sound does not work, although it works perfectly when I run Windows 7 in the same VM. The sound device...