Windows 10: Is W10 free to install on any computer that came with windows?

Discus and support Is W10 free to install on any computer that came with windows? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So recently, I installed new solid state drives in multiple machines. I noticed that Microsoft never asked me for a product key like with older... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by striper, Dec 17, 2015.

1. striper Win User

Is W10 free to install on any computer that came with windows?

So recently, I installed new solid state drives in multiple machines. I noticed that Microsoft never asked me for a product key like with older versions of windows. I'm assuming that Microsoft must be verifying these computers somehow. What are the conditions in which you are allowed to upgrade for free?

I have a PC I built that is currently running W7. I like W7 and would like to keep that computer as is. Would I be able to dual boot W7 and W10 without have to purchase a second version of windows?

:)

striper, Dec 17, 2015

2. How to install Windows 7 on a computer that came with Windows 10 without loosing data?

Hi Frank,

From the description I understand that you are referring to install Windows 7 operating system on the computer that came with Windows 10 OS.

Please be informed that as the base/ host OS is Windows 10 you will have an option to rollback to previous Operating System. You will have to download Windows 7 ISO file, perform clean install which will result in lose of data.

For more information refer to: Going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

To install Windows 7 operating system refer to: Go back to your previous version of Windows
    from Recovery options in Windows 10 and check if it helps.

NOTE:

When you perform a clean installation, you may come across activation issue and data will also be lost.

It is recommend to create an external backup of your data before performing so.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of installing Windows 7 on Windows 10 OS for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 17, 2015
  3. How to install Windows 7 on a computer that came with Windows 10 without loosing data?

The question has become moot, as I can't even download a clean copy of Windows 10 "for unknown reasons" when I tried to follow the simple directions that Microsoft help provided.

It looks to me like Asus is blocking any changes to my laptop that bypass the factory installed software, which loads the 2T hard drive with a total of 1.5T of files and that blows my mind! What can they possibly have on this thing that, with Windows 10
    and only a couple of my own program installations, takes up that much storage? I've never had a computer that had more than .5T on the C: drive and they still had plenty of room for my programs.

Frank Kolwicz, Dec 17, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Just hypothetically, if you have a pc with a license for say Win 7 then installing Win 10 on that pc takes that Win7 license.
    This turns the old Win7 license legally unusable for deployment on that or any other machine.

That doesn't mean you can't revert to Win7 but you just can't use both simultaneously.

Maybe someone else will correct me, I'm by no means an expert in this kind of matter. This is just how I understand it.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Is W10 free to install on any computer that came with windows? - Similar Threads - W10 free install

2. Upgrade To W10....For Free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  3. Upgrade To W10....For Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  4. FREE VPN for W10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FREE VPN for W10?: I am just starting to give some thought to using a VPN with my main browser, Edge. I realise free ones will have various limitations but want to try some first, a promising looking example being WINDSCRIBE. I have tried ChrisPC VPN but without success (it is a sort of...
  5. Any Free Utility to Check & Install Windows 10 Drivers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any Free Utility to Check & Install Windows 10 Drivers?: I just installed Win 10 on my HP 450 Laptop. When I searched in HP's website it couldn't detect my O/S and all the drivers I see are available only for Win 8 and below. Just wanted to know if there is any utility/tool/way/website to check which drivers should be installed on...
  6. Just installed w10 and cannot install any programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Just installed w10 and cannot install any programs: I just installed windows 10 today on a new m.2 drive. This is my 2nd time installing today. The first was win10 pro then I wiped and formatted to install win10 enterprise. When I try to install anything I get this error [img] . I do not think it is a permissions issue...
  7. Installing W10 Pro on a new computer

Installing W10 Pro on a new computer: I am about to retire my old desktop (W10 Pro Microsoft account) and replace it with a new one. Is there any way I can install version 1809 on the new machine without having to pay extra for an upgrade from Home? I have a bootable 1809 thumb drive from which I assume I can use...
  8. Is W10 free to multiple computers by one owner?

Is W10 free to multiple computers by one owner?: I recently purchased a new laptop to replace my aging one that has slowed to a snails pace. Maybe also has a virus - I dunno. The new laptop has W10 installed. I also have 10 installed on a couple of desktops. I plan to move all of my data from the retired laptop to a large...
  9. On vacation - any way to install W10 on home computers after 7/29?

On vacation - any way to install W10 on home computers after 7/29?: didn't think about this before, but i am away from my home computers (both running 8.1) and won't be back until after 7/29. i am going to upgrade a desktop and laptop where i am now, but wanted to see if i would be able to upgrade the home computers when i return. does...
  10. Free W10 upgrade

Free W10 upgrade: Like I mentioned earlier my Acer I did an upgrade a bit over two weeks ago and the upgrade worked using my 7Starter keys and was upgraded to Home and I'm not talking out of my @$$. I didn't like how much slower it was when it was appified so I ripped it out by the roots and...