Windows 10: Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro

Discus and support Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just set up or second Win 10 system...intact, activated and operating. Now...I have all photos-doces-etc from old Win 7 Pro on an Acronis 2013 image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trinaz, Dec 19, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro

Just set up or second Win 10 system...intact, activated and operating. Now...I have all photos-doces-etc from old Win 7 Pro on an Acronis 2013 image file

Question is...to restore doc-photos etc to new 10 setup...will all "folders" match according ly to the Win 10 and previous Win 7 structure ?

In other words...will the My Documents in Win 7 restore directly to My Documents in Win 10 ? Not restore the entire tib of coarse...since it is a Win 7 complete image...but can I restore all necessary files/folders I want off the Win 7 image directly one by one into the proper Win 10 active system folders ?

Thanks....TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 19, 2015

2. Windows 10 - Cannot adjust theme settings

All Windows system folders are Read Only, but you should be able to create new files inside that folder. The OS is not going to let you change that attribute (nor should you) because it may result in system instability. System folders are set Read Only to
    prevent accidental (or intentional) renaming or deletion.

If you check a Windows 7 machine at the same location (%systemroot%\media) you will find the Sound Theme folders and they too are Read Only. You should be able to Copy and Paste data into those folders though. I just tested it on my Win 10 machine and it
    worked. If you can connect to a machine across your network that has the files you want, try copying them to you Win 10 computer.

I am surprised that there was nothing in the themes folders, because my Win 10 PC has files in those folders. I did upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro so that may be how the folders got populated with files. I just tested copying files from a Win 7 machine
    to the Win 10 machine and it worked so give it a try.

MD Tech MCP, Dec 19, 2015
  3. File Sharing between homegroup computers using Win 10 and Win 7

None of he suggestions offered have solved he problem. However, I found out why I was not able to see the Window 7 PC folders on my Win 10 laptop. It was all related to the difference in how you find a computers on a homegroup. As it turns out, the
    Windows 10 menu structure for getting to the Network is different between the Win 7 and Win 10 operating systems. The homegroup computers can be seen on the Win 7 buy going to Network and File Sharing on the Control Panel and by clicking on the the House
    Icon between the Win 7 PC icon and the Internet Icon. These icons are not part of the Network and File Sharing menu on Win 10. Instead, the homegroup computers can be found on the Network icon under the Computer Menu on Win 10 computers. Once I found Win
    7 listed under the Network Icon on the Win 10 computer I was able to access all of the shared folders on the Win 7 PC.

shortimer831, Dec 19, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

There is no My Documents in Win 10, just Documents. If yu do see a My Documents it will be a hard link to Documents.

Ztruker, Dec 20, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, first think: "Do I really want to put my personal documents on the same disk/partition as my OS?"

This is actually a seriously bad idea, albeit one Uncle Microsoft seems to encourage. But what happens when your OS goes haywire and you need to reset/reinstall..? You'd be reliant on any backups you had. And that's the sort of scenario that happens just when you haven't backed up sthg. So think about creating a new partition or if you've the option, putting them on a different disk.

Much safer there, easier to maintain - but you should still have a backup of course.

(Of course, you might have chosen to relocate Documents etc - but I then wonder what happens to that come the next big Win 10 upgrade (which is after the fashion of installing Windows).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro - Similar Threads - file folder structure

2. how to share files and printing between win 10 pro and win 7 through same network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to share files and printing between win 10 pro and win 7 through same network: how to share files and printing between win 10 pro and win 7 through same network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-share-files-and-printing-between-win-10-pro/430c90ef-ddf3-4f65-88bb-639000867472
  3. Zip file will not work in Win 10. But same file works fine in Win Win 7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Zip file will not work in Win 10. But same file works fine in Win Win 7: I downloaded a file from Canon for my new printer. I believe the fle is self extracting, but when I click on the file I get the following error message: 'Zip File is damaged or truncated'. When I try the same downloaded Canon file on my Win 7 PC, it works fine. Help,...
  4. Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?: I was working on building a new computer for my brother, that he hoped would still be a win 7 / Win 10 dual boot. The issue he had with his old PC was that if he opened Win 7, the first thing it would often do was to decide things were broken and scan and "fix" all the...
  5. upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I have several times tried to upgrade my desktop dual boot Win XP and Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the downloaded ISO file, and keep my personal files and apps. It runs about 36 hours then fails. How can I make this upgrade? If not using the ISO file is there another...
  6. win 7 pro win 10 pro

win 7 pro win 10 pro: how do I upgrade from win 7 to win 10? I have product key for 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-pro-win-10-pro/931e1125-6737-4bec-821b-26fd3cc64bac
  7. Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro: I installed Windows 10 pro as a VMware Workstation 14 Player Virtual Machine. I tried to activate it using the product key from an OEM Win7 pro DVD I purchased for a pc I built years ago (and then disassembled months ago). That didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks for any...
  8. Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from a Microsoft certified seller. The problem I'm having is the upgrade keeps hanging up around 80% install. I'm running an MSI motherboard MSI Z975SSLI Krait Edition (MS 7922) 64 bit Intel core i5-4690 3.5 Ghz 38 GB memory. Can...
  9. Copy a VHD file from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Copy a VHD file from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro?: I have a licensed copy of XP running in XP Mode on a Win 7 Pro machine. I have seen instructions on the net for getting Hyper V up and running where I can create a new XP Mode VHD file, but, I would like to copy my own file from my Win 7 Pro machine (because it contains the...
  10. Win 7 Pro to Win 10

Win 7 Pro to Win 10: Upgraded, appeared to be fine. Now printer doesn't print. Shows as default, but won't print...*Sad 10819