Windows 10: Is win10 Free Upgrade available? (previously had win 10 installed)

Discus and support Is win10 Free Upgrade available? (previously had win 10 installed) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In the past, i upgraded to windows 10 through the free upgrade program. I recently had issues so I used my computer's recovery partition to blow away... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by eddified, Aug 5, 2017.

1. eddified Win User

Is win10 Free Upgrade available? (previously had win 10 installed)

In the past, i upgraded to windows 10 through the free upgrade program. I recently had issues so I used my computer's recovery partition to blow away windows 10. Now I'm on Windows 8. I heard that windows stores its keys in the UEFI. Is it possible for me to upgrade to windows 10 for free, based on the keys that I think are stored inside my computer?

:)

eddified, Aug 5, 2017

2. Win10 free upgrade

The fastest way to get the upgrade is to download the ISO. An ISO is like a dvd so to use it you will need to right click>mount. Start the upgrade from within windows.

WARNING: DO NOT USE THESE TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL (until after you have already updated). If you do
    you will not be able to activate it unless you have previously upgraded to win 10 and activated it. You then will be forced to re-install your previous OS before upgrading to win 10

The Official Final Windows 10 download is now available

Use the download tool to create ISO media to update your windows.

Download Windows 10

Use Download Tool Now (32bit version)

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616935

Use Download Tool Now (64bit version)

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 5, 2017
  3. jsahaj Win User
    windows 10 used to be free

Bsck when it came out windows 10 was free and I updated to it.

Recently I had to reset my computer and found out it reset to win 8.1.

Now i find out win 10 is no longer free.

since I had previously upgraded to win 10 when it was free, can I get the

free upgrade again somewhere?

jsahaj, Aug 5, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The only product key that is stored in the UEFI firmware is the product key that was put there by the manufacturer for Windows 8.

That being said, when you upgrade to Windows 10, a digital license for it gets stored on Microsoft Activation Servers based on a unique hardware ID of the computer. As long as you install or upgrade to the same version of Windows 10 on the same computer, the digital license will be retrieved from Microsoft Activation Servers and Windows 10 will activate itself.

That being said too, Microsoft is still granting free upgrades from Windows 7/8 even if it is brand new and there is no digital license stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers.

NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2017
  5. eddified Win User
    Hm, supposedly the free upgrade program has ended. So, can you tell me how you would proceed if you were in my shoes? Thanks.

eddified, Aug 5, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Download the Windows 10 ISO file using the Media Creation Tool:
    Download Windows 10

Click the button for Download Tool Now. Then use the option for Make media for another PC when you run the MCT.

Mount the ISO file that is created and run setup.exe from it (right click on it and select mount). That will upgrade your Windows 8 to Windows 10.

You have previously had Windows 10 on that computer before so there is a Digital License for Windows 10 stored on Microsoft Activation Servers for it. You can either upgrade Windows 8 on it or clean install Windows 10 and it will activate based on the already stored digital license.

NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2017
  7. This is correct.

Yesterday I did a reinstall.
    First I booted with a bootable CD I have and deleted partitions with Fdisk. Then I installed win 7 ultimate (64bit). I Have a legit key. Then I upgraded to win 10 pro. Don't try to add any new keys just let the process continue, when asked don't add a key.

I downloaded my upgrade some time ago and have an iso of v1511

blktiger60, Aug 5, 2017
  8. eddified Win User

Thank you! So is there a reason why I shouldn't click "Upgrade this PC now" (vs get the ISO first)?

eddified, Aug 5, 2017
  9. Personally, I prefer the "get the iso first" method but that's up to you. If you decide to get the iso first I suggest you burn it to a dvd and install from that rather than just clicking on the iso to start the install. Again this is just my opinion

blktiger60, Aug 5, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Historically, upgrading/installing from a completely downloaded ISO file has proven to be more reliable than any of the upgrade tools which is just going to download the contents of the ISO file anyway. Also, having the saved ISO file on a separate drive than your Windows run from (such as a USB flash drive or DVD) means that you can re-use it without having to download it every time.

NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2017
  11. eddified Win User
    Thanks everybody! You've been extremely helpful and made getting Win 10 back on my computer a breeze!

eddified, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is win10 Free Upgrade available? (previously had win 10 installed) - Similar Threads - win10 Free Upgrade

2. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  3. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  4. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free: Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a...
  6. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free: Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a...
  7. Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10: Hi, I'd like to do a clean install of my win10. But it's a free upgrade version. I can't find a step by step guide to do it. Only guides for fresh installs of a regular win10 version. I'm afraid to do something wrong and lose the right to use this licence. Thank you...
  8. Win 10 Free Upgrade

Win 10 Free Upgrade: I still have Win 8.1 Pro in one of my pc's. Is it too late to upgrade to Win 10 Pro for free. If so what would be the process.Win https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-free-upgrade/6c5b0473-a789-4832-918f-0579fdb5c9d2
  9. Windows: Is there a free upgrade available?

Windows: Is there a free upgrade available?: Is there a free upgrade available? * Original title: Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-is-there-a-free-upgrade-available/b8ac7e45-e71c-47c8-9f4f-df6ed514aad3
  10. Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade

Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade: My brother has an older Dell Latitude E6400 laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro. It had not been upgraded to Windows 10. He bought a new SSD drive for the laptop. I thought I would try an experiment and see if a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD drive would...