Windows 10: Is Windows 10 any use to me now?

Discus and support Is Windows 10 any use to me now? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I went to PC World in UK to get an all in one desktop this week. I use my laptop with windows 10 for email, websites, burnimgmusic/video to cd and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nowtleft3, Jun 18, 2017.

1. nowtleft3 Win User

Is Windows 10 any use to me now?

I went to PC World in UK to get an all in one desktop this week. I use my laptop with windows 10 for email, websites, burnimgmusic/video to cd and streaming music to my BOSE system.

I was told that Windows 10 now will not allow streaming through WMP and will not allow burning of cds/DVDs (holidays etc, potos)

If I cannot do the latter two then it makes my slow move in the direction of Apple but I do NOT want to.
    Is this a huge own goal by Windows similar to the UK governments or was I told incorrectly?

Thanks for any advice!

Rick.

:)

nowtleft3, Jun 18, 2017

2. User Account Control in Windows 10 Problem

Hello guys, so, recently, I've been experiencing a very annoying issue when trying to do anything that I need to confirm an action in Win 10 through user account control, like when I try changing something in registry editor, for instance. This is what happens:

Is Windows 10 any use to me now? [​IMG]

When this window shows up, I can't seem to choose an option, it just won't click. So I wanted to know if something alike happened to any of you and if it did, how can I solve this?

Win 10 is impossible to use, Jun 18, 2017
  3. User Account Control in Windows 10 Problem

Alright, but how do I enable the admin user? For the record, I've tried to do that net user administrator /active:yes thing, it didn't work

Win 10 is impossible to use, Jun 18, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TemForums @nowtleft3

You probably know more about Windows that the average PC World assistant. Basically, they're mostly wrong...

Though TBH I don't use media streaming these days, preferring 'Cast to...' from File Explorer (available for music, video and photos) or video from the 'Films & TV' app. WMP can still burn audio cds for you.

The one bit that they got right is that support for playing or burning Video DVDs has been dropped, probably to save on the MPEG-2 licencing fees. For playing DVDs you can install the (free) VLC media player. For designing and burning Video DVDs I use the free open source DVD Styler. It's available as a Portable App...
    https://portableapps.com/apps/music_...tyler_portable

Burning data DVDs for your photos etc. is built in to Windows 10.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you have normal, vanilla Windows 10 as shown in @Bree's post, or do you have "N" version of Windows 10? I have no problems with streaming with Windows 10 or burning CDs and DVDs. Windows 10 "N" did neuter some of the multimedia capabilities, but I think they just removed Windows Media Player from it and it is available as a separate download to put it back in.

Streaming music to your BOSE system should be just a bluetooth audio connection that the computer will have to have a bluetooth adapter (either built-in on the motherboard, or an add-on such as a USB dongle) for.

NavyLCDR, Jun 18, 2017
  6. nowtleft3 Win User
    My 10 is vanilla (a free upgrade). The Bose uses Sountouch to stream but can only see certain file types.

nowtleft3, Jun 18, 2017
  7. wyldman68 Win User
    Have you gone to the Bose website and looked to see if there is a newer version of Soundtouch? Sounds like the software only supports certain file types.

wyldman68, Jun 18, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Bose website says SoundTouch is compatible with Windows 10 Windows Media Player. I would assume it is via DLNA which Windows 10 Media player does support. The only thing Windows 10 Media Player does not support as a DLNA server is transcoding - so the file must be in a format compatible with the device it is being streamed to.

NavyLCDR, Jun 18, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Turning on Media Streaming makes WMP act as a media server. That means you can browse WMP's library on your PC from another device, such as a DLNA TV and initiate the playback without having to do anything at your PC.

It is not necessary to turn on media streaming if you only wish to control the streaming from your PC. You can 'Cast to...' a DLNA device from your PC without it.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema: