Windows 10: Is Windows 10 defender good enough

Discus and support Is Windows 10 defender good enough in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm asking since I have installed many free antivirus programs out there and some gave me BSOD's, while others were intrusive with ads or just made my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Redbatman, May 17, 2017.

1. Redbatman Win User

Is Windows 10 defender good enough

I'm asking since I have installed many free antivirus programs out there and some gave me BSOD's, while others were intrusive with ads or just made my pc slower. I'm kinda burnt out in them right now and just wanna know if Defender along with malwarebytes is good enough.

:)

Redbatman, May 17, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, May 17, 2017
  3. rhbu Win User
    Is Windows Defender Good Enough?

I have windows 10 Mcafee trial just expired is windows defender good enough

[Original Title: windows defender]

4. Fafhrd Win User

I'd second that. Not only does Defender perform adequately, it does not have the "side effects" that many 3rd party antimalware applications do.

Fafhrd, May 17, 2017
  5. What they said...*Ditto

Wiley Coyote, May 17, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I must disagree. Windows 10 Defender, by itself, is not good enough. The biggest protection against viruses/malware/ransomware is the level of common sense and careful habits on the part of the user. I've seen computers heavily infected with all kinds of malware and at the same time were running multiple anti-everything programs because the user lacked the basic knowledge about how to detect something that they really should not click on.

But with a somewhat knowledgeable user who doesn't click on every box that pops up claiming that their PC needs optimized or repaired, then Windows Defender is sufficient to protect against the threats that the user would not have to click on.

NavyLCDR, May 17, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    As I mentioned in another thread:

It depends on the type of browsing you do. If you're a "normal browser" then Windows Defender is perfectly adequate. But if you download torrents, you might want something a bit more advanced.

swarfega, May 17, 2017
  8. tomseys Win User

Yup Defender is fine. I went though the same thing with the best AVs of the month according to the testing sites. Slow computer performance, occasional disasters brought on by a bad signature update, intrusive upsell, concern with what a given AV is really doing with some of those files and just the paranoia that industry as a whole sells. And I'd still get something from time to time because you think the program with the 100% detection rate and 101% elimination rate will keep you safe no matter what you do. I remember reading many AVs game the testing - they program for it. The best A/V really is the user. Just use common sense. Don't click on links in emails. Avoid dangerous sites. Careful with what you download and read through the custom menus. Keep the computer up to date. Take a look at some of the browser add-ons available that can "encourage a smoother internet experience with less confusion and malware", stop tracking and known malware sites etc.

Maybe keep the free malwarebytes on demand program on the side along with adwcleaner. This can be used for occasional scans if something unusual happens or just in general to double check and make sure all is okay. Another site to keep in the bookmarks is bleepingcomputer.

tomseys, May 17, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    You are not really disagreeing but providing an important caveat. Common Sense (now there is an oxymoron regrettably) is very important. Of course, this equally applies for any AV package.

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    I'll add that a modified hosts file goes a lot further than antimalware in preventing your system being unknowingly directed to, contacting, or being contacted by, sites that are known to broadcast malware. However, I cannot discuss it here because of Forum rule 12.

Fafhrd, May 17, 2017
  11. tomseys Win User
    Oh another thing to do is to make image backups using an easy program like Macrium reflect (free) and keep them off the network. Keep them on the side. The idea being if the disaster happens - malware/virus/system gets borked somehow, you can boot up through usb or disk and restore the image you have saved wiping out the infected image in minutes.

I've used MSE and later defender for years and never had a single virus or malware or pup even (except one that was later called a pup). I put the "best stuff" on my dad's computer because he just clicked on everything you gave him and there was always a problem. Malwarebytes has saved me many times.

tomseys, May 17, 2017
  12. Guess I should have added in my use of Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.

And the importance of backups can't be over stressed.

Wiley Coyote, May 17, 2017
  13. Redbatman Win User

Does Rescue Media from Reflect work good? or should I also use a recovery drive too?

Redbatman, May 17, 2017
  14. Hasn't failed me yet and I've been using it exclusively since Windows 10 was first released. Between Defender and UAC as well as common sense of course, there really is no need for third-party alternatives...but that's just by opinion.

As an added layer of security I always set up two accounts for myself on personal computer, One being my Administrator account (that I hardly even use if at all) and the other being a Standard account that serves as my actively used account. If a trusted software needs elevated privileges I just Run As Administrator using my Admin account's credentials. Of course common sense is still required but this limits system access for software that should have no business with elevated privileges.

WinXUser78, May 17, 2017
  15. Helmut Win User
    I have both, and why not.
    The current Reflect Rescue/Boot disc (based on Win PE 10) on mine has an unchangeable resolution which maybe unfortunate in some cases.
    So I have two, one of which is an old variant of Win PE 10 without that graphics problem.
    You need to test them on your own system.

Helmut, May 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Is Windows 10 defender good enough - Similar Threads - defender enough

2. is win defender good enough

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is win defender good enough: in av test feb 2023 win defender of win 10 has taken 18 our of 18 points , it was the only one who took an award from av ... then why everybody says that it is not good enough ? if that so why it always picks the trophy ? what kind of security flaw is in it ? if it has lower...
  3. is win defender good enough

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is win defender good enough: in av test feb 2023 win defender of win 10 has taken 18 our of 18 points , it was the only one who took an award from av ... then why everybody says that it is not good enough ? if that so why it always picks the trophy ? what kind of security flaw is in it ? if it has lower...
  4. is win defender good enough

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. What's the Best Antivirus for Windows 10 and 11? (Is Microsoft Defender Good Enough?)

in Windows 10 News
    What's the Best Antivirus for Windows 10 and 11? (Is Microsoft Defender Good Enough?): Gone are the days when Windows would insist on installing antivirus software. Since Windows 8, you can inbuilt antivirus software known as Windows Defender. However, is this enough? Can this software keep your system and data protected? This article will look at whether you...
  6. Is windows defender enough

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is windows defender enough: Is windows defender enough for me cuz i game and i some time install cracked softwares https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-defender-enough/608c1720-42d6-49f1-a355-a6217e373108
  7. Is windows defender enough

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is windows defender enough: Is windows defender enough for me cuz i game and i some time install cracked softwares https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-defender-enough/608c1720-42d6-49f1-a355-a6217e373108
  8. Is windows defender enough

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Is Windows Defender Enough?

Is Windows Defender Enough?: I am continuously getting popups from Mcafee, who i don't subscribe to but had a free trial when I bought the laptop. They say allsorts is wrong but Windows Defender says it is fine. Am I ok and how do I stop these pop ups?...
  10. Is Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?

Is Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?: Dear: AllIs Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?Kind Regards https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-defender-good-enough-to-protect-my-pc/7d0a6a2d-9c77-485d-a5c9-015245f99722