Windows 10: Is Windows 10 Standard AHCI Driver Sufficient?

Discus and support Is Windows 10 Standard AHCI Driver Sufficient? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an I5 Ivy-Bridge (B75 chipset) system. Windows 10 is up and running (fresh install) and I've been able to load all but the correct SATA drivers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rcxtra, Sep 9, 2015.

1. rcxtra Win User

Is Windows 10 Standard AHCI Driver Sufficient?

I have an I5 Ivy-Bridge (B75 chipset) system. Windows 10 is up and running (fresh install) and I've been able to load all but the correct SATA drivers - still using the "Standard" AHCI SATA driver that windows installed.

Asus hasn't released a new Windows 10 SATA driver for their B75 motherboards yet. Hell, they just posted the Intel MEI chipset driver a couple days ago, and I had to get the VIA audio driver directly from the VIA website.

I'm wondering if that standard windows SATA driver is going to cause any performance issues. I noticed all the 8-series and newer chipset based motherboard drivers have been updated on the Asus website (and other manufacture websites too), but the 7-series (Ivy Bridge) based motherboards have very few drivers updated. Are motherboard manufacturers even planing on fully supporting their 7-series motherboards? So far support has been sporadic at best...

Appreciate any feedback...

:)

rcxtra, Sep 9, 2015
  2. neb.laz Win User

Windows 10 1607 - Event Viewer shows Warning disk/storahci 129/153

Hi,

this looks like a/the solution:

As I have an Intel platform, I downloaded the latest RST driver from:

Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver

The Setup won't run, as it says that my platform isn't supported. But there is the f6flpy-x64.zip file (there is also a f6flpy-x86.zip if needed), which contains the AHCI driver. In Device Manager I updated the "Standard SATA AHCI Driver" manually with it.

Since no Warning 129/153.

Interestingly:

With Windows 10 1511 I used the "Standard SATA AHCI Driver", and everything worked fine. What's wrong with that standard driver in Windows 10 1607?

AMD platforms might install the AMD SATA controller, which I believe is part of the Graphis driver package, somewhere inside there must be the AHCI driver, which has to be installed.

Cheers

neb.laz, Sep 9, 2015
  3. auggy Win User
    Windows 10 Freezes When Optical Drive is Used

The "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" is being used and it may be beneficial to change that to the chipset driver.

Since the Sabertooth 990FX appears to have AMD SB950 chipset try installing the AMD chipset drivers for Windows 10 from the following link which should install the AMD SATA driver:

Chipset

The AMD chipset drivers sometimes have to be installed manually so after installing the AMD chipset drivers and restarting the computer open the Device Manager and see that "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" has been replaced with "AMD AHCI Controller" (or
    similar).

Also, make sure the freezing no longer exists.

Also, post back if the Device Manager still shows the "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" rather than the AMD controller.

auggy, Sep 9, 2015
  4. Is Windows 10 Standard AHCI Driver Sufficient?

Mark Phelps, Sep 10, 2015
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Get the latest chipset driver from Intel website. For my X99 chipset it reads: Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller - 8D02

eLPuSHeR, Sep 11, 2015
  6. rcxtra Win User
    I downloaded and installed the 'chipset' driver (which are really only inf files) from Asus for my motherboard (P8B75-M/CSM) and the storage controller in device manager still shows only "Standard AHCI" which is the default windows driver.

Did you also install a SATA driver (usually iastor.sys)? After installing the SATA/AHCI driver is when the specific controller type is displayed, in your case Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller - 8D02. Asus has yet to release a SATA diver for any of their B75 motherboards, only chipset drivers. In fact I checked the other major manufacturers (Asus, Asrock, MSI, Gigabyte) and non of them have released SATA/AHCI drivers for their 7-series boards yet, just audio, lan and chipset drivers.

All the 8-series and newer motherboards have ALL drivers updated for Windows 10, I'm hoping 7-series boards aren't being left behind. Ivy Bridge is still a relatively new and capable platform - Sata III 6G/s, DDR3 1600, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0.

rcxtra, Sep 13, 2015
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    No. I only installed those .inf files. If you are referrring to Intel RST, you don't need it if you don't have a RAID setup. Not all Intel chipsets change the SATA controller name. Standard AHCI is okay.

By the way, this is the link to Intel download page. Did you try this one?

Intel Download Center

eLPuSHeR, Sep 13, 2015
  8. willie666 Win User

willie666, May 29, 2016
  9. rcxtra Win User
    If there are Windows 8.1 drivers available for your hardware, but not Windows 10, just install the 8.1 drivers. Many people have reported success using the Win8.1 drivers for Win10.

I personally had a couple motherboards that the manufacturer did not release Windows 10 drivers for, and the Windows 8.1 drivers installed and worked just fine. If the installer won't run then update the driver(s) from 'Device Manager' and select 'Have Disk' and browse to where you extracted the Win8.1 driver files.

rcxtra, May 30, 2016
  10. willie666 Win User
    I can not recommend using drivers made for other windows versions. This will cause audio problems and other issues.

willie666, May 30, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Windows 10 Standard AHCI Driver Sufficient? - Similar Threads - Standard AHCI Driver

2. Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager: Hello, I really hope someone can help with this.I used Outbyte Driver Updater to scan my PC and perform driver updates won't be doing that ever again.... After the driver updates completed, I noticed that my Sata SSD was no longer being read / showing up in the explorer.I can...
  3. Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager: Hello, I really hope someone can help with this.I used Outbyte Driver Updater to scan my PC and perform driver updates won't be doing that ever again.... After the driver updates completed, I noticed that my Sata SSD was no longer being read / showing up in the explorer.I can...
  4. Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DO NOT UPDATE to INTEL SATA AHCI from Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI!!!

DO NOT UPDATE to INTEL SATA AHCI from Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI!!!: Yup, you heard me... Microsoft's Standard SATA AHCI performs a lot better, and easy on the CPU fan than the Intel ACHI driver. I updated on two of my desktop pcs, one is stuck at startup diagnoses bootloop, and the other one is drying every bit of juice from the fan on...
  6. need driver Standard SATA AHCI Controller

need driver Standard SATA AHCI Controller: Hello, Dell XPS 13 9343 8 GB RAM 512 GB SSD I would get the Blue Screen of Death BSOD, even though Device Manager showed no issues. So I twice did a clean install of the latest Windows 10 available through the MediaCreationTool20H2, and then did all Windows Updates,...
  7. Exclamation mark at standard ahci sata

Exclamation mark at standard ahci sata: Hi I have a dell laptop.I did a clean install of windows 10 becouse i was getting a lot of errors before.I updated everything from windows update and downloaded nvidia drivers from nvidia website.When i got to device manager i see an exclamation mark at standard ahci sata...
  8. AMD SMBus and Standard SATA AHCI Controller Drivers

AMD SMBus and Standard SATA AHCI Controller Drivers: Hi, I'm running a AMD FX-6300 system, 8Gb RAM with Nvidia GTX 750 Ti GPU, running Windows 10 and Avast AV. The 'Driver Updater' in Avast keeps telling me these 2 drivers need updating. But if I try to update them in 'Device Manager' I'm told "Windows has determined you...
  9. AHCI Driver

AHCI Driver: Why does the Microsoft Standard AHCI driver out-perform Intel's RST AHCI driver? Case scenario; Fresh install of Windows 10 x64 on MSI Z370M gaming pro AC with I5 9600k and Samsung Pro 860 Evo 1TB SSD. Running Samsung Magician benchmarks give me Sequential Read/Write and...
  10. Driver Update for Standard SATA AHCI controller driver need version 1.2.1.402

Driver Update for Standard SATA AHCI controller driver need version 1.2.1.402: Have version 10.0.18362 693 need version 1.2.1.402 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-update-for-standard-sata-ahci-controller/0f5bad68-e4a5-4a6a-9af7-15da00e73040

Users found this page by searching for:

1. should i enable amd ahci bios rom 990fx windows 10

2. sata drivers 1607

3. f6flpy-x86

4. win 10 sata ahci driver,
  5. display driver and standard sata ahci controller show yellow exclamation mark in device manager,
  6. microsoft standard sata ahci controller faster then intel,
  7. installed chipset driver only has standard ahci,
  8. amd sata ahci controller 4/01/2017