Windows 10: Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s?

Discus and support Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have yet to install Windows 10, but I wanted to see if someone could tell me (before I install it) if Windows 10's File Explorer can read ID3 v2.4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jorge24, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Jorge24 Win User

Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s?

I have yet to install Windows 10, but I wanted to see if someone could tell me (before I install it) if Windows 10's File Explorer can read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3. And if it can't read them by default (as I suspect), is there any way to enable File Explorer to read them?
    I have uploaded an MP3 on the following link which contains ID3 v2.4 tags. If you can see the metadata such as Title, Artist, Album, Year, etc it means that File Explorer can read v2.4 tags. If the metadata looks blank, then it can't read them.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hp5srz8ho...0Copy.mp3?dl=0

:)

Jorge24, Apr 2, 2015
  2. wrender Win User

MP3s not visible in Artist/Album

I compared differences in the files....

I downgraded the id3 tag from V2.4 to V2.3

Changed the permissions so they were executeable and cleaned the names up...

Still no luck...ergg pulse rising.

wrender, Apr 2, 2015
  3. Entegy Win User
    Song files disintegrated - id3 tags not respected

If the entire ID3 tag is unreadable, ensure that the tag is encoded using ID3 v2.3. Embarassingly, none of Microsoft's programs support ID3 v2.4, which came out in 2000. You can use MP3tag on Windows to check what version the tags are.

For keeping albums together, all tracks must have a common album artist. The songs can have their own artists, but the
    album and
    album artist tags must match for it to be shown as one full album on the phone.

Entegy, Apr 2, 2015
  4. Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s?

File Explorer can read and edit the tags, but ... the file I downloaded from your link doesn't seem to have any data in it.
    I looked at the details pane and in the properties of the file - nada!

Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s? [​IMG]

If I add data using File Explorer (feAdd), everything is ok:

and if I look in a music type folder, your get (after adding data in the fields using properties (PropAdd)

Slartybart, Apr 3, 2015
  5. Jorge24 Win User
    Ah, that's a shame...Every single media player (besides Windows media player) I've used can read them, even my android phone and my $25 Coby device can read them! lol I guess I'll have to keep my tags on ID3 v2.3 for now. Thanks a lot for helping!

Jorge24, Apr 3, 2015
  6. I'll send MS some Feedback .... maybe by RTM File Explorer can read v2.4 tags.

Let me look at one other thing, I tend to mod my system, so it's possible that I turned off a media feature that affects the outcome of the test *Wink

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 3, 2015
  7. Jorge24 Win User
    Alright, appreciate it! I just spend a couple mins looking for a registry fix but sadly, found nothing. The other thing I was considering was replacing Windows File Explorer with a 3rd party app like Xplorer2 (which probably can read x2.4 tags).
    PS: I read you PM but couldn't reply to it. Seems like I need to have made 5 posts before I can PM.

Jorge24, Apr 4, 2015
  8. Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s?

Ok, I re-enabled Media features and the results were the same.

Side note: I just installed the Preview Msuic app and it's just as dump as Explorer - you would thing that the newest music thng from MS could read the tags, but noooooo.

I'll send them some feedback on both the Explorer can write (not sure what version it writes, I could check with MP3tag, but that's their job), but it cannot not read ID3 v2.4 tags (everything is blank) and the music app cannot read them either.

Stay tuned - there's time left for MS to fix this - it's probably a common library, so fixing one should fix all.

Slartybart, Apr 6, 2015
  9. Jorge24 Win User
    I found a way to read ID3v2.4 tags on Windows File Explorer!

• Run Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers
    • Right click on "SystemPropertyHandlers" and select Permissions... in popup menu.
    • In opened window press Advanced button. In opened window press Change near Owner. In opened window enter Administrators in to Enter the object name to select, then press Check Names and then press OK. Double click on Administrators in Permission entries list. In opened window check Full Control in Basic permissions and press OK button. Press OK buttons two times, so you will return to main Registry Editor window.
    • Now you can edit/delete values in this registry key, simple delete values with music files extensions supported by AudioShell and then, when you run AudioShell settings, it will appear in its supported extensions list and you can register AudioShell property and thumbnail handlers to work with this files. By deleting values from this registry key, you can add AudioShell support to: .mp3, .mp2, .asf, .wma, .wmv, .mp4, .m4v, .m4b, .m4p, .m4a, .wav and .3gp files. Delete the following values form the registry: .mp3, .mp4, .m4a, .wav
    • Install AudioShell (latest version 2.3.1). After install, go to AudioShell’s settings and make sure that these are checked: .mp3, .mp4, .m4a, .wav
    • Restart your PC. After restarting, you should be able to see ID3v2.4 tags on Windows File Explorer’s columns

Tutorial with pictures:
    Using AudioShell 2 on Windows 10 and Windows 8/8.1

AudioShell Download Link:
    ID3 tag editor - AudioShell freeware music files tag editor - direct tag editing from Windows Vista/7/8 Explorer

Jorge24, Apr 6, 2015
  10. Jorge24 Win User
    I tested the above fix on Windows 8.1 x64. According to someone from another forum, it's also working on Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64

My 5th post so I can send PMs *Smile

Jorge24, Apr 6, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Nice fix.. and welcome to the forums.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 6, 2015
  12. Thanks Jorge,

I bet that solves the issue for WMP too.

Now if MS implements the same property handlers ..... hopefully they'll get the message if people tell them about it.

I don't think you have to be a Win10 Insider to post here: Windows Insider Program - Microsoft Community
    but you do have to log in, so why not join the Insider program and follow the progress even if you don't test the OS.

You can also get information from the Windows blog: Windows Insider Program: Blogging Windows that will help (lots of marketing here though - but solid technical info too).

If you decide to test the OS, Home page - Windows Insider Program , I recommend a native VHD dual boot, create the media on DVD to avoid thumb drive format issues for a UEFI install, boot from the DVD to install to the VHD. No special tools required and no fiddling with the BCD - Windows handles everything if you follow Option One in this tutorial to the letter:
    Windows 8 VHD - Create at Boot to Dual Boot with

Basically you
    Boot from the Win10 install DVD
    Press Shift+F10 at the first install screen
    find the drive letter (using diskpart list volume) for the partition that you will use to create the VHD
    then in diskpart
    create the file that is a VHD (30 GB is fine for Win10 testing)
    select the VHD
    attach the VHD

The return to the Win10 install, placing the OS on the VHD you just created.

Thanks again for the workaround for ID3v2.4 tags

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 6, 2015
  13. Jorge24 Win User

Thanks, the truth is I've been dying to test it out for a while now! I joined the Windows Insider Program and downloaded Win10 a couple months ago but never got around installing it because I had some problems with Win8. A custom theme I installed was causing black screen at boot, I ended up reinstalling Win8 like 10 times back then (nothing would fix it, not even rebuilding BCD) but I finally found out what the problem was so if you ever plan on using custom themes let me know so I can give you a few must-knows. Here's what it looks like in case you're interested

Regarding Win10 installation,
    Why do you recommend creating a VHD? Wouldn't creating another partition be good enough? Win8 could have the BCD and the OS being in the same partition, isn't it the same with Win10?
    Also, is Windows 10 known to have problems when installed from a thumb drive? (I try to avoid using CD/DVDs for anything)

Jorge24, Apr 6, 2015
  14. I have multiple VHDs on a 150 GB partition for testing - when I'm done testing, I remove the VHD and change the boot config.
    The one BIG advantage to installing to a VHD is that you don't need a new partition, the VHD can be created on C:\ - this is good for OEM machines that initialize the drive as MBR and then create four primary partitions.

You can do the same thing with a separate partition, which has the advantage of being able to be updated through Windows Update (VHD installed OS fails the update - it's a bug, but don't know if it will be fixed).

A dual boot uses one system partition (either a separate System Reserved, or on C:\ ). The only way I know of keeping the two OSes separate is to install on a 2nd drive while the original drive is physically disconnected fro the machine.

So, the choice is entirely up to you - I only offered my recommendation - there is no right or wrong here *Wink
    If your system is booted using UEFI (not BIOS) then the thumbdrive must be formatted as FAT32, not NTFS. I've tried to help many people install Windows (not just Win10) who miss this point entirely and round we go - the install fails over and over.

Note: The Thumbdrive install media 'issue' only affects systems booting to UEFI

If you follow OPTION ONE in this tutorial, you can't go wrongSee: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    You might want to create a System Image of your Win8 install before installing Win10 - it's better and quicker than reinstallingSee: System Image - Create in Windows 8
    Here's the full Dual Boot tutorial: Dual Boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 or Windows 8

Slartybart, Apr 7, 2015
  15. Jorge24 Win User
    I see, thanks for all the info! So just to make sure, if I install Win10 on a VHD I won't be able to use Windows Update but I can still download the updates from the MS website and install the updates manually, right?

Jorge24, Apr 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Is Windows 10's File Explorer able to read ID3 v2.4 tags on MP3s? - Similar Threads - 10's File Explorer

2. File Explorer Tags column

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Tags column: Hello How do I get PDF tags to show in the File Explorer Tags column? please see image below.Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tags-column/20e8c79b-6499-4e5e-bf02-3247f28ab7c9
  3. File Explorer Tagging Editing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Tagging Editing: How to edit the rating on MP4 video files?If you have an answer, please let me know. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tagging-editing/411ec45f-09fb-4840-b0fb-5adf8fd02730
  4. File Explorer Tagging Editing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Tagging Editing: How to edit the rating on MP4 video files?If you have an answer, please let me know. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tagging-editing/411ec45f-09fb-4840-b0fb-5adf8fd02730
  5. windows 10 file explorer column episode name won't show episode name id3 tag episode name...

windows 10 file explorer column episode name won't show episode name id3 tag episode name...: the description basically says everything but lets clarify with more detail. I have a ton of video files and I am organizing them with metadata as much as possible. I added season number and episode number and they show up on windows file explorer if I add those columns to...
  6. File Explorer - MP3s Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer - MP3s Files: After the auto update to Win10 1909, I noticed the File Explorer freezes up when an MP3 file is selected. The folder has a mix of JPGs and MP3s. When a JPG is selected there are no freezing up issues. I am also able to edit the JPG meta data. It's only when an MP3 file is...
  7. Tags in File Explorer

Tags in File Explorer: I rely greatly on Autofill when adding tags to images. To not do so would require using my memory resulting in many, slightly different tags for the same "topic". for example:- John Searwood, John Sherwood , John Sharwood, John J Sherwood and so forth. Some while ago the...
  8. Windows 10 - not able to save file tags

Windows 10 - not able to save file tags: Hi, I am unable to save and see tags which I am trying to add to music files. I click properties -> details -> add a tag, then click OK / apply and the tag is not showing anyway. I tried to add tags through the file explorer with the same result....
  9. File Explorer tag info

File Explorer tag info: File Explorer view can show tags. How to input tag info? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tag-info/a0dbb5c9-9f0d-4927-9e00-b1474bcf2400"
  10. Tags in the windows explorer: tagging all types of files and folders

Tags in the windows explorer: tagging all types of files and folders: Does anybody know if microsoft has any plans on supporting tags for every type of file and folder? I found some other tools like tabbles (https://tabbles.net) and 'Tagging for windows' (https://tagging.connectpaste.com) which are good to work with, but I would like it to be...