Windows 10: Is Windows Defender enough?

Discus and support Is Windows Defender enough? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm fairly new to Windows 10, but so far, I like it. I have installed it on my laptop which formerly had Windows 8, then 8.1. I also have it on a Dell... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Smiley1, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Smiley1 Win User

Is Windows Defender enough?

I'm fairly new to Windows 10, but so far, I like it. I have installed it on my laptop which formerly had Windows 8, then 8.1. I also have it on a Dell Inspiron netbook which formerly had had Windows 7 Starter. The netbook is doing far better than I had expected. I have been running ESET smart security on both of these. On the laptop, Windows Defender is off and ESET is handling the security, as it is supposed to do. On the netbook, however, I am getting constant notifications that there is no antivirus and Defender is off and needs to be on or my computer is at risk. Yet by all appearances, ESET is working normally. The netbook detects the ESET firewall, but behaves as though there were no antivirus.

This has me wondering if Defender would provide sufficient protection. I do intend to upgrade the RAM on the netbook soon, but I still think the fewer things I have running on it, the better. I did have Malwarebytes (paid for version) on the netbook, but I removed it a while ago because the netbook was just so bogged down it was almost unusable. The netbook hasn't been getting a lot of use because of its slowness, but it's doing so much better with Windows 10, such that it might see more use in the future.

I found Malwarebytes to be quite a memory hog in the past...if one is thinking a Defender/Malwarebytes combo.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. *Smile

:)

Smiley1, Apr 15, 2016

2. N8-00 and Belle Refresh

Hello ty for replying, that's the "Country Variant Italy IT Dark Grey V1 (059D607)"

Defender---01, Apr 15, 2016
  3. N8-00 and Belle Refresh

Hello, i was wondering when the "Belle Refresh" update will be available for N8-00 059D607 devices.

Defender---01, Apr 15, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

For most I would say defender is adequate. That's what I use,, FWIW.. but expect lots of varying thoughts on this one.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 15, 2016
  5. Smiley1 Win User
    I forgot to mention that I run Hitman Pro manually.

Smiley1, Apr 15, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    That will do just fine.
    What you have should be more than adequate.

BunnyJ, Apr 15, 2016
  7. Smiley1 Win User
    Thank you, BunnyJ.

I uninstalled ESET Smart Security, did the fix to have the Defender icon stay in my taskbar (I remember this being an issue with MSE on an XP laptop I had a few years ago as well). The little netbook is running better than it ever has.

Smiley1, Apr 15, 2016
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

Agreed. WD + added protection layers (MBAE, Hitman, etc) is more than enough.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 16, 2016
  9. Jorie Win User
    Very interesting thread. I'm wondering if what you call your netbook is the Dell Inspiron Mini? If you get this would you mind letting me know? That's what my husband has and it gives him no end of frustration--Windows 7 Starter as well. It is becoming quite ancient and runs so very slowly that he rarely uses it tho tries to at least update our Norton 360 Virus Protection on it. Your post makes me wonder if he should try to install W 10 on his machine. Perhaps, (could we be so lucky?) it might actually begin to work well!

Jorie, Apr 22, 2016
  10. DerDonc Win User
    What did you exactly do to fix this? I have to manually start Windows Defender still...

DerDonc, Apr 22, 2016
  11. Smiley1 Win User
    Smiley1, Apr 23, 2016
  12. DerDonc Win User
    DerDonc, Apr 23, 2016
  13. Is Windows Defender enough?

Defender and most other free AVs are sufficient IF you keep all credit card numbers, bank account numbers, etc., off your computer. I switched to free AV ten years ago and have never had a problem.

But about 20 years ago, I had my numbers in a "secure" program, and Norton Security Suite started beeping. It was set to go off if my rig started broadcasting a series of numbers. It showed me that my computer had just sent out the first three numbers of my Social Security number, and asked if I wanted to continue. That was the end of all those account number savers for me.

Vince Massi, Apr 23, 2016
  14. Smiley1 Win User
    I never did keep such things on my computers, nor does it ever go through email.

My ESET Smart Security expires in a little over a month. I think I'll just let it go. I'm still considering what, if anything, I might use as some sort of anti-exploit to run along with Defender.

Smiley1, Apr 23, 2016
  15. Spork Win User
    I've used windows defender and malewarebytes for 2 years, and I've never had any problems.

Spork, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Windows Defender enough? - Similar Threads - Defender enough

2. is win defender good enough

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is win defender good enough: in av test feb 2023 win defender of win 10 has taken 18 our of 18 points , it was the only one who took an award from av ... then why everybody says that it is not good enough ? if that so why it always picks the trophy ? what kind of security flaw is in it ? if it has lower...
  3. is win defender good enough

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is win defender good enough: in av test feb 2023 win defender of win 10 has taken 18 our of 18 points , it was the only one who took an award from av ... then why everybody says that it is not good enough ? if that so why it always picks the trophy ? what kind of security flaw is in it ? if it has lower...
  4. is win defender good enough

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. What's the Best Antivirus for Windows 10 and 11? (Is Microsoft Defender Good Enough?)

in Windows 10 News
    What's the Best Antivirus for Windows 10 and 11? (Is Microsoft Defender Good Enough?): Gone are the days when Windows would insist on installing antivirus software. Since Windows 8, you can inbuilt antivirus software known as Windows Defender. However, is this enough? Can this software keep your system and data protected? This article will look at whether you...
  6. Is windows defender enough

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is windows defender enough: Is windows defender enough for me cuz i game and i some time install cracked softwares https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-defender-enough/608c1720-42d6-49f1-a355-a6217e373108
  7. Is windows defender enough

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is windows defender enough: Is windows defender enough for me cuz i game and i some time install cracked softwares https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-defender-enough/608c1720-42d6-49f1-a355-a6217e373108
  8. Is windows defender enough

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Is Windows Defender Enough?

Is Windows Defender Enough?: I am continuously getting popups from Mcafee, who i don't subscribe to but had a free trial when I bought the laptop. They say allsorts is wrong but Windows Defender says it is fine. Am I ok and how do I stop these pop ups?...
  10. Is Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?

Is Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?: Dear: AllIs Windows Defender Good Enough to Protect my PC by Itself?Kind Regards https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-defender-good-enough-to-protect-my-pc/7d0a6a2d-9c77-485d-a5c9-015245f99722

Users found this page by searching for:

1. y windows defender antivirus never detects any virus