Windows 10: Is Windows Defender good on Windows 10?

Discus and support Is Windows Defender good on Windows 10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is Windows Defender good on Windows 10? Because I quit using Microsoft built in antivirus after MSE failed me on my Windows 7 machine where I download... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RubberDucky, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Is Windows Defender good on Windows 10?

Is Windows Defender good on Windows 10? Because I quit using Microsoft built in antivirus after MSE failed me on my Windows 7 machine where I download one application, and I didn't know that application was malicious until I ran HitmanPro and it confirmed 10 active threats running on my PC. My Norton Security Standard is about to expire in less than 2 months, and I'm broke at the moment because my teeth braces + teeth extractions cost $7,500 out of my parent money, so I don't want to left my PC unprotected all the time. This is why I want to ask you guys opinions and thoughts on Windows Defender on Windows 10. Some of my friends have used them and they said it pretty good, but I don't know if it true because I asked them do they ever get infected with virus or malware, and they said no virus or malware just some couple of PUPs and Adware but MBAM free pick them up and remove them completely.

:)

RubberDucky, Jul 10, 2016

2. windows defender is good app

windows defender is good app because it protects our privacy and pc from virus and malware and also spyware definitions!

AdvaitShiralkar, Jul 10, 2016
  3. Defender, is it that good?

>Is Defender (in Windows 10) as good as (AVG) please?

Depending where and whom you ask, you will get different replies...Is Windows Defender good on Windows 10? ;)

In the end you have to decide for yourself which program you want to use...

Suggestion to read:

and also the other interesting and informational topics covered in:
    Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection

In addition you might want to read one or the other thread from this search:

==========

> Is Windows 7 covered by Defender in the same way?

No.

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is NOT an Anti-Virus program but only a very basic spyware protection. Meaning you need to install an Anti-Virus program.

A free one would be for example
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    (MSE)

Upon installation of MSE, Windows Defender will be automatically disabled.

Windows Defender Antivirus and Microsoft antimalware FAQ - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

HTH,

Julia

Jsssssssss, Jul 10, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Is Windows Defender good on Windows 10?

WD is quite good imho, but as you may know having an AV alone is not enough by today security "standards".

You need to follow a layered security approach, that is, adding some protection to your browsers (for zero day exploits and such), make sure you don't have neither Java nor Flash installed (if you don't need them) and adding some ransomware protection into the mix too.

With a bit of common sense, your system will be pretty protected with WD. In fact, WD has gone a long way since the MSE days.

PS . No AV program is perfect so, when in doubt, scan a file submitting it to VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner or run some online scan from some known av vendor (eset, etc)... You could also install some sandbox to test or even a Virtual Machine.

eLPuSHeR, Jul 10, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    No antivirus is perfect. Throwing your hands up and refusing to use one because it didn't work in one case is rather silly. If you are around long enough, you'll get failures from everything eventually, particularly if you engage in risky downloading.

I haven't used any other anti-virus besides Defender and MBAM in years.

Mystere, Jul 10, 2016
  6. What do you mean by it has gone a long way?

7. Do I need to exclusion both of them or no?

8. Mystere Win User

I don't understand what you're asking.

Mystere, Jul 10, 2016
  9. Do I need to add exclusions for both of them to prevent conflicts? Thanks.

10. What about protection for spyware and malware?

doriandiaconu, Jul 10, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    No. MBAM and Defender work differently. MBAM is typically run manually, although there is a watchdog service, it does not replace normal anti-virus.

Mystere, Jul 10, 2016
  12. Hi:

Under most conditions for most users, mutual exclusions between MBAM and Windows Defender are not needed.

If you do wish to be proactive and to set them, the attached screen shot show an example of an AV folder excluded in MBAM (it is for Kaspersky, but the concept is the same; ignore the Carbonite entry.)
    The MBAM files to exclude in WD (or any other AV) are listed below:

Thanks,
    MM
    ------------------
    Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe
    Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it, as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
    Code: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com[/quote]

MoxieMomma, Jul 10, 2016
  13. prikker Win User

WD is not as good as MSE once was, so I replaced it for Avira free icm with Malwarebytes and myself.

prikker, Jul 10, 2016
  14. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I meant that it has improved a lot.

eLPuSHeR, Jul 11, 2016
  15. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Why? For me it's the other way around.

eLPuSHeR, Jul 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Is Windows Defender good on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Defender

2. My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center: I try to installed games which is not comes from steam or any stores, and after that I realized that the defender is gone, I try to get it back without removing all my games and apps in my laptop but it's seems not work. I cannot open the Windows Security Center or the Virus...
  3. My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center: I try to installed games which is not comes from steam or any stores, and after that I realized that the defender is gone, I try to get it back without removing all my games and apps in my laptop but it's seems not work. I cannot open the Windows Security Center or the Virus...
  4. My Windows Defender is seems like gone, and I cannot open any of the security center

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. how to turn on windows 10 defender?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to turn on windows 10 defender?: Microsoft safety scanner partially removed TrojanDropper : win32/Brresmon and trojandropper : win32/credentialaccess!rfn afterwards i reset pc erase everything fully clean the drive... i still can't turn on settings from virus and threat protection....it says " This setting...
  6. how to turn on windows 10 defender?

how to turn on windows 10 defender?: Microsoft safety scanner partially removed TrojanDropper : win32/Brresmon and trojandropper : win32/credentialaccess!rfn afterwards i reset pc erase everything fully clean the drive... i still can't turn on settings from virus and threat protection....it says " This setting...
  7. how to turn on windows 10 defender?

8. Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml keeps getting detected.. 1 per day. Once defender removes it, it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml keeps getting detected.. 1 per day. Once defender removes it, it...: Hello, I have Windows 10. I scanned and used multiple virus scanners such as Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, but they all say my pc is clean and no viruses.. Windows Defender is the only one that detects this Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!mll.. I just did a full virus scan with Windows...
  9. Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml keeps getting detected.. 1 per day. Once defender removes it, it...

Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml keeps getting detected.. 1 per day. Once defender removes it, it...: Hello, I have Windows 10. I scanned and used multiple virus scanners such as Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, but they all say my pc is clean and no viruses.. Windows Defender is the only one that detects this Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!mll.. I just did a full virus scan with Windows...
  10. Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml keeps getting detected.. 1 per day. Once defender removes it, it...