Windows 10: Is Windows Defender Running All the time?

Discus and support Is Windows Defender Running All the time? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've just upgraded to Win 10 and I am slowly figuring out where everything is. I also like to set certain apps to be visible in the Tray. Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TDPsGM, Sep 15, 2015.

1. TDPsGM Win User

Is Windows Defender Running All the time?

I've just upgraded to Win 10 and I am slowly figuring out where everything is.
    I also like to set certain apps to be visible in the Tray.
    Windows Defender is one of those I have set to be visible all the time.

When I restart, it's not there.

I go to Settings>Update & Security>Windows Defender . . . and scroll to the bottom and click on the "Use Windows Defender" link and it pops up and appears in the Tray. When I close the window it stays in the tray.

When I shut-down and restart, it's gone (doesn't appear in the tray on the restart).

Am I missing something?
    I shouldn't have to click the "Use Windows Defender" link every time I start should I?

Thanks for the help.

:)

TDPsGM, Sep 15, 2015

2. windows defender running all the time around 20%

Answer-by-number:

1. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

2. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

3. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the
    McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
    ?

5. What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed? See METHOD 1 on this page =>

https://appuals.com/what-version-of-windows-do-i-have/

Is Windows Defender Running All the time? [​IMG]

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 15, 2015
  3. windows defender running all the time around 20%

Flag says "Sub received bad data"

Any ideas?

PaulBlackfordA, Sep 15, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

To get Defender to appear on the taskbar go to Settings>System>Notifications and actions>Select which items appear on the taskbar. turn on windows defender.

JohnC, Sep 15, 2015
  5. TDPsGM Win User
    Yep. I did all of that. And yet when I restart, it is not there. The settings haven't changed, and the only way to get it to show again is to click the "Use Windows Defender" link again.

I don't know why it's not sticking, and why I asked the original question:

(ie on startup)

This is a clean install and not an upgrade - not that that should matter - and is a brand new laptop.
    (Asus UX303LB-DS74T ultrabook)

TDPsGM, Sep 15, 2015
  6. JohnC Win User
    Defender should be running all the time. You might want to go to the control panel(Rt click on windows logo in lower left corner),
    click on review your computers status under System and Security and then click on the Security section. It will tell you about defender as well as the firewall etc.

JohnC, Sep 15, 2015
  7. TDPsGM Win User
    Will do when I get home. Still seems Odd that if it IS running and have asked it to show the icon that it doesn't appear. Thanks for the reply and will report back.

Per chance, if you set it to show the icon on your machine and you restart does it appear or does it stay hidden until you make the selections I have mentioned above?

Thanks again for the input.

TDPsGM, Sep 15, 2015
  8. JohnC Win User

I just restarted my computer and sure enough the defender icon disappears too. I checked in "Select which items to appear on the taskbar" and the defender switch is turned on. I'll report it using the feedback app to MS, you might want to also.

JohnC, Sep 15, 2015
  9. TDPsGM Win User
    Will do. Thanks for checking it. I thought maybe I was missing something. I guess as long as we can see it as one of the running processes we should be good knowing it is indeed 'on' . . . would you agree?

TDPsGM, Sep 15, 2015
  10. JohnC Win User
    Yes, Defender does keep working even if the icon isn't showing. You can check in task manager also to see that it is running. (RT click on the windows icon and select task manager from the menu, click on the services tab and look for WinDefend).

JohnC, Sep 15, 2015
  11. garydexter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Windows Defender Running All the time? - Similar Threads - Defender Running

2. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10: Question #1: Where can I find the official Microsoft user’s manual for Window 10’s Defender?I have just wasted 2 weeks of my life due to reading 2nd hand, incomplete, misleading instructions and tutorials. Most of the stuff on the internet often amounts to what someone does...
  3. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10: Question #1: Where can I find the official Microsoft user’s manual for Window 10’s Defender?I have just wasted 2 weeks of my life due to reading 2nd hand, incomplete, misleading instructions and tutorials. Most of the stuff on the internet often amounts to what someone does...
  4. Help needed trying to run Defender on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Every time I run MSERT I get the following error: VirTool:Win32/Defender TamperingRestore....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I run MSERT I get the following error: VirTool:Win32/Defender TamperingRestore....: What kind of PUP is VirTool:Win32/Defender TampingRestore? Why does it come up every time I run MSERT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/every-time-i-run-msert-i-get-the-following-error/092c4605-1efd-41af-ae03-282c8fbb62ea
  6. Every time I run MSERT I get the following error: VirTool:Win32/Defender TamperingRestore....

Every time I run MSERT I get the following error: VirTool:Win32/Defender TamperingRestore....: What kind of PUP is VirTool:Win32/Defender TampingRestore? Why does it come up every time I run MSERT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/every-time-i-run-msert-i-get-the-following-error/092c4605-1efd-41af-ae03-282c8fbb62ea
  7. Windows Defender Firewall blocking app running inside WSL from making http requests to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall blocking app running inside WSL from making http requests to a...: I'm trying to use Mockmoon to mock an API locally and using an app I made in go to interact with the mock API.When I try to use localhost, only my browser can make requests, but when I change the hostname to my device's API and try to make requests through my app, it gets...
  8. Windows Defender Firewall blocking app running inside WSL from making http requests to a...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Firewall blocking app running inside WSL from making http requests to a...: I'm trying to use Mockmoon to mock an API locally and using an app I made in go to interact with the mock API.When I try to use localhost, only my browser can make requests, but when I change the hostname to my device's API and try to make requests through my app, it gets...
  9. Windows Defender Firewall blocking app running inside WSL from making http requests to a...

10. Win 11 Defender shows a trojan being blocked 6 or 7 times. I've run another antivirus...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Defender shows a trojan being blocked 6 or 7 times. I've run another antivirus...: Defender shows a blocked trojan. Another antivirus program shows nothing. Should I be concerned about having a trojan in my system? Defender shows it has blocked this trojan 6 or 7 times. How do I get rid of it? I've run defender scans and it shows it blocked....