Windows 10: Is Windows Photo Viewer gone?

Discus and support Is Windows Photo Viewer gone? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I noticed a few builds ago (maybe 10162) that you could no longer set Windows Photo Viewer as the default picture opener. Now, it seems that MS is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bobjoe, Jul 24, 2015.

1. bobjoe Win User

Is Windows Photo Viewer gone?

I noticed a few builds ago (maybe 10162) that you could no longer set Windows Photo Viewer as the default picture opener. Now, it seems that MS is forcing you to use the Photos "app" instead.

Is anyone else getting this issue?

:)

bobjoe, Jul 24, 2015
  2. Vashnik Win User

Setting Defaults Broken: Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Here is what Windows Photo Viewer shows that it supports:

Snaggy - easy screenshots

Windows Photo Viewer can be from the "Choose default apps by file type." In fact, here is the list of Windows Photo Associations and how they're being associated with in the "Choose default apps by file type" window:

BMP is associated with Windows Photo Viewer, but does not show up as selected in the above screenshot.

DIB is supported by Windows Photo Viewer and is not associated with it, despite Windows Photo Viewer being the default program for photos.

GIF is supported, but is associated with the "Photos" Windows 10 app, now is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

JFIF is supported, but is not associated with any application at all, nor is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

JPE is supported, but is associated with WavePad Sound Editor, now is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

JPG and JPEG both are associated with Windows Photo Viewer, but does not show as selected in the above screenshot like it's supposed to.

JXR is supported, but is associated with VideoPad Video Editor, nor is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

PNG is associated with Windows Photo Viewer, but not selected in the above screenshot like it's supposed to be.

TIF and TIFF both are associated with Windows Photo Viewer and is selected like in the screenshot above.

WDP is supported, but is associated with VideoPad Video Editor, nor is Windows Photo Viewer showing up as an option.

Vashnik, Jul 24, 2015
  3. I want the old Widows Picture Viewer loaded on my new computer.

Windows Photo Viewer never included any cropping tool, unless you are referring to Photo Viewer.

If you are referring to Microsoft Paint, its still there.

Click Start > All Apps > Windows Accessories > Paint

As for Photo Viewer, see the following:

How to Restore Missing Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Jul 24, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

It's still there:
    Check this out:

Is Windows Photo Viewer gone? [​IMG]

BunnyJ, Jul 24, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
  6. bobjoe Win User
    Bunny, are you on the latest build?

All I see is this:

bobjoe, Jul 24, 2015
  7. bobjoe Win User
    Fafhrd, please see my post above

bobjoe, Jul 24, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

I'm using 10240 and I can use photo viewer..
    Using photo viewer here:

BunnyJ, Jul 24, 2015
  9. bobjoe Win User
    What format is that picture?

I'm having this issue on my virtual machine installation (which I used to take the screenshots above), but also in my dual boot of W10.

bobjoe, Jul 24, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    JPG..

BunnyJ, Jul 24, 2015
  11. bobjoe Win User
    Ok, thanks for the info. I will do a "Reset this PC" on the virtualmachine and I'll see if that fixes the problem.

bobjoe, Jul 24, 2015
  12. bobjoe Win User
    All right.. I just did a reset, and same issue!

bobjoe, Jul 24, 2015
  13. Fafhrd Win User

It is a tricky one if you have updated from preview versions and not from Windows 8 or 7. In that case, your registry associations might be preserved.

The good news is that it is still in \Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer.
    The bad news is that the Windows Photo Viewer is only associated with tiff files it seems, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I can only suggest that you go to Microsoft Answers, make a fuss and see if one of the MS agents there can give you a registry fix.

The other tricky thing, is that Windows Photo Viewer is not an executable program, but a dll that is invoked only by clicking on one of its associated files - in your case or mine, a .tif or .tiff file.

There is a Kludge: rename one of your image files in your image folder in the following way image.png -> image.tif and you will find that it opens in Windows Photo Viewer when clicked. Then you can click next or previous and scroll through ALL of your image files in that folder. Make a shortcut to that image.tif file, and put it on your desktop, rename it photo viewer, and you will be able to scroll through all your photos there, or run a slide show etc.

Fafhrd, Jul 24, 2015
  14. SIW2 Win User
    Interesting work around.

I unchecked one of the options during installation, can't remember what it was called - something about using "apps".

That seems to have made image files open in paint by default ( except tif which opens in photoviewer).

From Fafhrd post it seems photoviewer is capable of opening most images, but MS do not want you to.

15. Fafhrd Win User
    Beta software - its why we are here, and not playing on the beach.

Fafhrd, Jul 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Is Windows Photo Viewer gone? - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer gone

2. windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows photo viewer: today when opening up a photo with windows photo viewer i noticed something i did not get the other day. now hen i open up a photo I t says loading on every picture i hit as of Friday i had sent a photo from my email to my desktop and opened it it came right up now that same...
  3. windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows photo viewer: windows photo viewer can't display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer close some programs that you aren't using or free some hard disk space if its almost full and then try again // just started yesterday 1/24/2022 i had some...
  4. I got the old windows photos viewer back but now it's gone

I got the old windows photos viewer back but now it's gone: So I followed Brink's tutorial to get it back again and no matter what I do I can't get it back. any suggestions would be very welcomed The one I am looking for is this one, I also included my windows version 179374
  5. WINDOW PHOTO VIEWER

WINDOW PHOTO VIEWER: PHOTO VIEWER is not working today. I have Windows 10 and have been using the Windows Photo Viewer all the time. Today it will not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-photo-viewer/6354ab2c-b48b-440a-be57-c281a1389cd8
  6. Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Photo Viewer: Windows Photo Viewer freezes every time I upload photos from my iPhone. This has been a problem for months Is it a common problem? This needs to be fixed ASAP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer/848f0891-177c-4db4-a03e-7eee4f4a5a81
  7. windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows photo viewer: Is it still available to download https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer/9df65b62-bc91-4e3e-a3f0-d40140633415
  8. Windows photo and photo viewer

Windows photo and photo viewer: Photo app and photo viewer app not working, please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-and-photo-viewer/3b344c54-cf1c-4cf1-ab44-8bfba1ded777
  9. No Windows photo viewer now, gone in Windows 10!

No Windows photo viewer now, gone in Windows 10!: You have chosen to abandon Windows Photo Viewer an easy to use, quick loading way to scan an entire folder of photos and not made it available to any users, especially those who purchased a new machine with Windows 10 installed and no hopes of uncovering the old program in...
  10. Ok Now where has windows photo viewer gone...?

Ok Now where has windows photo viewer gone...?: Hi I got windows photo viewer going via the registry hacks (way to go microsoft) but now its gone again in settings "Choose default apps by file type" I can right click and see WPV as an option (for jpg but not jpeg) but if I select it it bounces back to the stupid Photos...