Windows 10: Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM??

Discus and support Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I put this question to Microsoft this week by email: Good morning This complaint pertains to the upgrade options from a full retail version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WhyMe, Aug 7, 2015.

1. WhyMe Win User

Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM??

I put this question to Microsoft this week by email:

To which I got the following reply:

I have advised them of when to call and expect to have a chat with them next week. I'll come back here to let you know the eventual outcome just in case anyone has similar concerns. It may take a couple of months to get a final [hopefully positive] resolution. I won't however, out of respect for the due process, be giving a blow-by-blow account.

I realise I'm probably an old fool who has different values when compared to the modern corporate world but hey, if you don't ask, you don't get *Tongue

Anyhow, that's it for now...I'll be back...

Update
    Microsoft have agreed to give me a full second Win10 standalone license in addition to the Win10 license I already have via the promotional free upgrade. Having two fully independent Win10 licenses for no extra cost was the agreed resolution.

The resolution:
    •I can install the Win8.1 Retail license and activate Win10 using the free promotional upgrade. The license will become tied to the device from 29 July 2016. I would still have the right to uninstall Win10 from that device so that I could transfer 8.1 to another device. I would no longer be able to upgrade the Win8.1 license on the new device to Win10 using the free promotional offer.
    •I would concurrently be able to clean install Win10 pro using the standalone product key received last night, on a device I choose and maintain full right of transfer for this license.
    •I can have Win10 Pro installed on two different devices even though I only paid for one. I have two independent licenses.

They also added:
    •The points I raised about the EULA and internal policy also form part of the resolution. This has now been passed onto another department within Microsoft and they stated the wording within the EULA may soon be changed after completion of the investigation by the relevant licensing and legal teams.

:)

WhyMe, Aug 7, 2015

2. Win 10 Pro activation after installing new motherboard

Somewhere along the line I bought a retail version of a Windows OS. I have since then been buying retail versions of Windows OS upgrades. My last version was Win 8 Pro upgrade retail version. I am currently running the free Win 10 upgrade. My system is
    starting to experience issues, and I was thinking about upgrading motherboard etc. I am not sure if I after my new hardware if Win 10 will activate.

I see many postings about OEM verses retail, but am unsure if they are referring OEM full versions verses retail upgrades.

So I wonder how my how my retail upgrades are treated. All my upgrades have been retail versions. Does that allow me to reinstall Win 10 after my changes? If so will I need to do my hardware changes before July 2016 or can I do them at a later date?

smalltownusa_2012, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Can Windows 7 retail be upgraded to Windows 10?

Original title: Windows 10 free upgrade

Hi

I have a retail version of Windows 7 64 bit.

If I choose to take the free upgrade on the computer currently running Windows 7, am I still able to install the original Windows 7 retail version on a separate computer, while still retaining the Windows 10 installation?

(i.e. If I purchased Win 10 for £0 and used it to upgrade my present Win 7 OS (my definition of free upgrade!), I would normally be able to still use my previous retail version of Win7 on another computer since I
    own both!

If the answer is no, and I don't like Win 10, how do I re-activate my previous retail version?

Regards

Dave Nash

SlipperedDave, Aug 7, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

I can't see how they could lock up the retail version if you were to upgrade to 10 pro OEM . I know for testing purposes what I have done with my retail copies of xp and vista ( yeah I know Vista lol ) I did use them to upgrade to 7 and 8 , got activated with no problems . Then later on decided I no longer want windows 8 and just go back to the retail version of Vista and I had no problem with the activation. But lets say I couldn't get activated ? I would of call MS and tell them my copy is an retail version were by it can be transfer to where ever . I can't see how they'd argue the facts but I'm glad you brought this up . I'm curious to know the outcome

sn00ker, Aug 7, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    What makes you think that you have received an OEM license of Win 10?

What do you get when you run slmgr /dli from a command window (with admin privileges)?

I expect that you could install Win 10 on new hardware by erasing it from the old system, installing and activating 8.1, and upgrading to 10. (I don't know that from personal experience. I know of no one who has done that yet, since 29 July.)

What happens in a year's time, I have not heard. Maybe a low-cost retail upgrade?

bobkn, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Interesting, my Win 10 laptop shows this for slmgr /dli

Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM?? [​IMG]

This is an Insider system still, upgraded from 8.1 Pro OEM I believe.

Ztruker, Aug 7, 2015
  7. sn00ker Win User
    Yep, I have the same as Ztrucker . So it might be WhyMe your upgrading retail to retail

sn00ker, Aug 7, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Because I have had several conversations with a small number of MS employees. They all clearly stated that if I were to change the motherboard after July 29th 2016 I would have to buy a new retail version of win 10 as my upgraded Win8 Retail license would no longer be valid. They said this is due to the fact that the upgraded license is tied to a device. Their comments have led to believe that my retail version of Win8 becomes an oem version of win10 in July 2016 as they said I can change my motherboard and cpu up 'til then, but definitely not after. Win10 becomes linked to my device [hardware] from that date.

Retail Channel

The MS people I have spoken to (up to now) have advised me they are not aware of any future low-cost retail upgrade for customers who have upgraded to Win10 from a retail version of Win7 or Win8. They are adamant I will have to purchase a totally new license when I upgrade my motherboard and cpu in spring 2017.

This is why I have raised my concerns with their Corporate offices. I definitely do not want to lose out. Yes the price difference between retail and oem versions is minimal, but it is the principal...

WhyMe, Aug 7, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    Yes. I've got the same as both of you two.
    Doesn't change what MS staff have advised as to what happens to the license come July 29 2016. Pretty much why I'm seeking the official position from MS HQ in writing!!!

WhyMe, Aug 7, 2015
  10. sn00ker Win User
    That's a good point but to be honest If by chance that were to happened I bet you would still be able to re- use your 8 Retail again, time will tell even if it's true that it will lock up your 8 afterwards, I still say you will be able re use it

sn00ker, Aug 7, 2015
  11. Dch48 Win User
    I wouldn't rely on what you see by running slimgr. I ran it and it says I have the core edition, which is correct. Then it says RETAIL Channel and I upgraded from an OEM version of 8.1. Another utility reported Win 10 as being OEM.

I did read that after a certain date, your previous license is "consumed" and can no longer be used.

Dch48, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Omega Win User
    That's the catch to getting this "Free" upgrade. You're essentially trading a Retail copy of Windows 7/8 that can be transferred from devices to device to an OEM copy of Windows 10 that is tied to the device's motherboard.

This essentially mean that if you build a new PC, you're expected to buy Windows 10 again. If your motherboard breaks and you don't replace it with an identical one, then you are also expected to buy Windows 10 again.

Omega, Aug 7, 2015
  13. Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM??

Does anyone know what happens if you bought a Dell with Windows 8.1 a year ago with a 3 year warranty and upgrade to Windows 10 and then a year from now the motherboard dies and Dell replaces it? Do you have to downgrade\reinstall back to Win8.1 and won't be able to go back to Win10 without paying for it?

GotMetalBoy, Aug 7, 2015
  14. WhyMe Win User
    That would be within the terms of your warranty and would be up to Dell as the original OEM manufacturer. They would definitely have to get 8.1 up and running, but as far as your Win 10 upgrade...well that would be in the small print of your warranty t&c. Seeing how the Win 10 upgrade is a customer upgrade and not part of the original product, my gut instinct says you would have to pay for a new Win 10 license

Check the wording of your warranty and contact Dell for confirmation.

WhyMe, Aug 7, 2015
  15. I just contacted Dell and they have no clue. There are some Win8.1 Dell's on sale and they don't know the answer what would happen to Win10 if the motherboard had to be replaced after July 29, 2016. I'm thinking if it has the Dell generic activation key when I upgrade to Win10, it would stay activated even after a motherboard change but if I were to clean reinstall Win8.1 with the key on the bottom of the PC and then upgrade to Win10 and then replace the motherboard after July 29, 2016, then Win10 activation would be lost.

GotMetalBoy, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Is Windows Retail Version Upgrading to Win 10 OEM?? - Similar Threads - Retail Version Upgrading

2. Windows 10 OEM or Retail

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 OEM or Retail: Is windows 10 pro available to download through media creation tool from microsoft is OEM or Retail ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-oem-or-retail/129ae35c-0304-4b10-8ef2-e9f2f63954be
  3. Windows - Retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows - Retail or OEM: Hi! I got a 6 year old computer from one company. Windows has been removed from it, so I should buy new Windows and install them. Which version should I buy - OEM or Retail. Someone tells me: To be legal you need to buy Retail. Why OEM is not legal in this case?...
  4. Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?: Because the recent windows 10 update my computer became unusable. I couldn't access the computer because the sign in prompt disappeared and trying to do an update rollback or repair or recovery through safe mode failed. So I had to reinstall my old windows 7 pro just...
  5. OEM to Retail

OEM to Retail: I have OEM version of Windows 10 Home activated in my pc. Now I want to activate my Windows retail key with the same PC, Motherboard and everything [nothing's changed]. Is it possible?...
  6. Windows 10 Retail or OEM

Windows 10 Retail or OEM: I am thinking of upgrading my Windows 10 Home to Pro. My PC is about 7 years old and I bought it as a bare machine together with a Windows 8 disk which I installed myself. Over the years it has upgraded and is now Windows 10 2004. At some stage I will buy a new PC and...
  7. WIN 10 OEM or RETAIL?

WIN 10 OEM or RETAIL?: I have a PC today with WIN 7. I will install WIN 10 in it. Can I buy an OEM license and install it on that PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-oem-or-retail/3c208a26-f7c6-4dad-a1c9-e36f5e43bf12
  8. OEm to Retail upgrade

OEm to Retail upgrade: i have a notebook that officialy installed windows 10 Home edition in it, with OEM license. so i can not move the windows to other device when this notebook is broken. if i upgrade it to Pro from Microsoft store, then does my Windows license will change to Retail "Full...
  9. Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version

Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version: There's a good chance that my computer will need major new parts and I'm afraid that it will not activate when fixes. I would like to use the operation system that I already configured to my liking. Can I buy a retail version of Windows 10 and just use that new key to...
  10. Retail version or OEM version

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version or OEM version: Hi Friends, I am thinking of building a new PC on my own. I am a home user only. I will buy all the hardware from a local shop ie motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd etc and then I would like to install a genuine/legal version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on it. But should I buy OEM...