Windows 10: ISO Install - What does "restart the upgrade" mean?

Discus and support ISO Install - What does "restart the upgrade" mean? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thanks to some help I got here recently I am into the ISO install/upgrade procedure (from Win7). But now (during "collecting information") there is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bob12603, Jul 13, 2016.

1. bob12603 Win User

ISO Install - What does "restart the upgrade" mean?

Thanks to some help I got here recently I am into the ISO install/upgrade procedure (from Win7). But now (during "collecting information") there is a large popup saying

... Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. I'm ok with that part, but then it continues ... Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade.

What does "restart the upgrade" mean?

Will there be a popup from Win7 inviting me to insert the ISO disk and then click a "restart the upgrade" button and then a part of the process will be done under Win7?

Or does it mean to do another (i.e. a second) boot from the ISO disk?

Or does it mean to insert the ISO disk and then reboot Win7?

Sorry, I know that a sane mind wouldn't be confused but my twisted, paranoid mind is.

Thanks, Bob

:)

bob12603, Jul 13, 2016

2. PLEASE UPGRADE NOKIA X2 TO " SYMBIAN OS " EDITION ...

download j2me edition of blueftp to your x2. Configure the settings on application access.

Then browse files, highlight the file which you want to hide press 9

three action will appear.

generalmember, Jul 13, 2016
  3. Battōsai Win User
    PLEASE UPGRADE NOKIA X2 TO " SYMBIAN OS " EDITION ...

Battōsai, Jul 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Did you try to upgrade by booting the computer from the Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD? Booting the computer from the flash drive or DVD is for clean install only. To upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 you want to insert the flash drive or DVD with Windows 7 running and just run setup.exe from it from inside Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Jul 13, 2016
  5. bob12603 Win User
    Thanks for your prompt reply Commander.

I am not sure exactly what a clean install is but I want my apps and settings preserved so I am guessing that I do not want a clean install.

Is it too late to start over? Can I just do a standard Win7 boot up now and all will be forgiven? But then if I use the process you suggest will I not be doing the same easy process which I have tried so many times and which has failed every time. I am only trying the ISO disk because many people reported that it resulted in s successful install whereas the easy process did not. But I don't know - maybe they also did clean installs.

I suspect that it happens very seldom, but is there any chance that you are wrong? To continue to quote the message on my screen right now ...

... and restart the upgrade. [Do not select |Custom[advanced]| to perform an upgrade. |Custom[advanced]| installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.]

So I assume that further down the pike there will be some option other than custom which will preserve my apps and settings.

And ... I think that an initial prompt made me choose between something (upgrade? - I forget what it was called) and Custom and I think that there was a warning that Custom would lose my apps and settings. So the first choice, I assumed, would not lose my apps and settings.

Thanks for your help with this.. (You have helped me out before by the way.)

Bob

bob12603, Jul 13, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You will be fine to just pull out the USB flash drive or eject the DVD and restart the computer into Windows 7. It will boot into Windows 7 normally. Then run setup.exe from the USB flash drive or DVD after you insert it with Windows 7 running.

NavyLCDR, Jul 13, 2016
  7. bob12603 Win User
    Thanks. So I tried that and for a while it seemed to be working. But eventually it failed. Same vague error as I've seen many times before. So I did some research and found that disconnecting unnecessary USB devices can help. So I disconnected all but my mouse and tried again. I'll spare you the details, but, after fearing for a long while that I would end up stuck somewhere between 7 and 10 with no option to move in either direction, it finally restored Win7. Whew!!

I am giving up. MS claims that this upgrade is free. Obviously they value my time as worth nothing.

Thanks again for your help. Bob

bob12603, Jul 15, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Upgrade may be free but your computer has to be compatible and underlying windows you upgrade from has to be compatible and in perfect shape. Also have to uninstall any programs like resident AVs so they don't interfere.
    Checking things out BEFORE any changes, can save you time later on.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. ISO Install - What does "restart the upgrade" mean? - Similar Threads - ISO Install does

2. What does mean "ISO is not supported"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does mean "ISO is not supported"?: I can't access a system on the notebook. I use a netbook to make a live USB with the target system. While trying to write an image to USB I got a message: "The ISO selected is not supported at the moment. You can try booting ISO using memdisk. Distro can be uninstalled...
  3. What does mean "ISO is not supported"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does mean "ISO is not supported"?: I can't access a system on the notebook. I use a netbook to make a live USB with the target system. While trying to write an image to USB I got a message: "The ISO selected is not supported at the moment. You can try booting ISO using memdisk. Distro can be uninstalled...
  4. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does this mean?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.Every time my computer, is totally off.And I, turn it on. I see this.Does, this mean. There's a problem,with my computer?I'm, concerned. Is there a way, to stop it.Or, should I. Just not, worry about it?Thanks for reading . . ....
  5. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/toyfreddym8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8teez/what_does_this_mean/
  6. What does that mean?

What does that mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PiperidinDerivat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j62iz0/what_does_that_mean/
  7. What does this mean?

What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MrMinerNiner [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6cowh/what_does_this_mean/
  8. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What does this mean?: I'm having frequent, seemingly random, full system crashes. There's no warning, no "restarting now" notification. One moment the computer is functioning normally, the next it's running through the boot cycle again. I've reset windows, uninstalled all third party apps I can...
  9. What does it meaning .....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does it meaning .....: launch, the malware creates a file at “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” containing the directory that the malware will save files in. “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” – Intended to contain directory storing keylogs and screenshots. What does it meaning, describe it English...
  10. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What does this mean?: What does this mean? [img] And how can I eliminate it? 94430