Windows 10: ISO

Discus and support ISO in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaded the windows 10 iso but don't know how to install it. I have a external hd to put it on so do I put it on the external hd and double click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by novelist11, Sep 7, 2015.

1. ISO

I downloaded the windows 10 iso but don't know how to install it. I have a external hd to put it on so do I put it on the external hd and double click on it or what? This is the first time I have dealt with an iso so I'm new at this.

:)

novelist11, Sep 7, 2015
  2. ISO JR Win User

Windows 10 Spotlight - Strange behavior after Fall Creators Update

I am having this same issue. I can get it to work by messing around deleting settings.dat file flipping back and forth but the problem is it does not work for new accounts on an imaged computer. You have to mess around with it.

I would love for spotlight to be working on my sysprep imaged so all users get it.

ISO JR, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Burning ISO

To burn a disk Right click desired ISO and Select Burn disc image.

Hope this helps.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 7, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just realize you have to do an in place upgrade before you can do a clean install. The ISO file is like a zip file, you need to extract the contents in order to use it.

See paragraphs b. and c. here:
    How to extract the contents from an .ISO file without burning the .ISO to disc. - Office Deployment Support Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Once you have the ISO file mounted or extracted, you will want to run setup.exe on the drive it is mounted or extracted to from within Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    A bit more explanation on the .iso file: it is an image of the original disc and used to make an exact duplicate copy of that disc when it is not available. The .iso file format is quite popular for making Linux LiveCD or LiveDVD available for download which then is used with a CD/DVD burning program to create that disc. The difference between that and the Windows .iso is the Linux is also bootable but can be used to run the computer and programs without having to actually install Linux, quite useful for testing Linux but also for booting a Windows computer and doing some basic testing such as seeing what works like sound, Networking, etc., and copying/backing up files.

Berton, Sep 8, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Another note.... when you run setup.exe to do an in place upgrade from within your Windows 7 - if you get asked for a product key, stop and cancel the upgrade because you have more than likely downloaded the wrong version of Windows 10 to upgrade to.

NavyLCDR, Sep 8, 2015
  8. ISO

What I did was moved the iso file to my external hd and then double clicked on it and then double clicked on the setup.exe and it worked. I now have a clean install of windows 10 on my new computer.

novelist11, Sep 8, 2015
  9. Clean install or upgrade install? What is your definition of clean install? Is Windows 10 activated?

alphanumeric, Sep 8, 2015
  10. It was a new computer so I did a clean install so I wouldn't have all that crapware on it.

novelist11, Sep 8, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    And....is your Windows 10 activated?

NavyLCDR, Sep 8, 2015
  12. BAD move. Read post #3 -- where you were told you would have to do a in-place Upgrade before you did a clean install. If this is the first time Win10 has been on this PC, it will never activate the way you installed it.

Mark Phelps, Sep 8, 2015
  13. ISO

It's a new computer with windows 10 already pre-installed. Yes it was activated.

novelist11, Sep 8, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Cool! Glad It worked well for you!

NavyLCDR, Sep 8, 2015
  15. Never mind - thanks for the info re: new PC with Win10.

I type too slow *Wink

I'm a little confused ...
    Your specs state Windows 7, but you say on my new computer. Windows 7 does not have native ISO mounting but you said moved the iso file to my external hd and then double clicked on it

Soooo, is the computer a new computer with Windows 8.1 on it?

It sounds as though you did an upgrade by launching setup.exe from the ISO, I'm just not sure how you did that with Windows 7.

You mentioned a clean install and that doesn't match the description of the upgrade you posted, did you upgrade and then do a clean install, or just the upgrade (setup.exe launched from the ISO as you described)?

The reason members ask is that no one wants you to be surprised if the installation stops booting (a trial install instead of a real upgrade).

Use the information below to compare your install - don't post the information or images from your machine unless you redact the activation and license IDs.

Don't worry about the Home/Pro differences - the images are from two different machines.
    What IS important is that the ISO you downloaded matches the original OS edition (Home, Pro,....)

To determine the install status of your machine, execute the following commands in a Command Prompt (Admin) window:
    slmgr /dlv
    slmgr /xpr
    req query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost /s

You are running a system successfully upgraded to Windows 10 if
    slmgr /dlv does NOT have an Evaluation End Date
    - and -
    there are no keys under WindowsSelfHost
    You are running an evaluation of Windows 10, (aka the Insider Program) if:
    slmgr /dlv reports an Evaluation End Date
    - or -
    reg query returns any keys under WindowsSelfhost
    It's also possible that you are running the 30-day trial of Windws 10.
    That can be determined form the slmgr /dlv report - the wording might be different, but the information should be in the same area as the Evaluation End Date information. It might have the word expire in the label reference.
    Some confusion might have arisen when people 'migrated' from the Insider builds to an upgraded system. If a system was upgraded but you did not leave the Insider program, then the upgraded system is still participating in the Technical Preview and will be offered build updates when MS releases them to the flight rings. If that is what you intended then there is no issue - just be aware that you are running Preview builds, not an upgraded system. You can always do a Clean install to get back to a Current build install (RTM, Retail... whatever name works for you).

Below the fold are reports from two of my machines
    • Win7 Home Prem upgraded to Windows 10
      Fowwloed by a Clean install on that machine

• Insider Technical Preview
      currently on build 10.0.525
    slmgr /dlv & slmgr /xpr
    Upgraded system Insider Preview install
    ISO [​IMG]

ISO [​IMG]

reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost /s
    Upgraded system Insider Technical Preview \WindowsSelfHost Type Value ----- ----- ----- \WindowsSelfHost Type Value FlightingOwnerGUID REG_SZ 6dc60aab-52b3-4001-a1aa-f48298e97033 EnablePreviewBuilds REG_DWORD 0x2 Ring REG_SZ WIF RingBackup REG_SZ WIS ThresholdRiskLevel REG_SZ low ThresholdOptedin REG_DWORD 0x1 BranchName REG_SZ th2_release UserPreferredBranchName REG_SZ th2_release \ ... \Timestamps Type Value BranchNameTimestamp REG_SZ 2015-08-19 20:23:56.799 bBranchNameTimestamp REG_BINARY 6A657AF9BCDAD001

Slartybart, Sep 8, 2015
Thema:

ISO

1. ISO - Similar Threads - ISO

2. I cant download Windows multi-ISO for Mac in UK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant download Windows multi-ISO for Mac in UK: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-download-windows-multi-iso-for-mac-in-uk/754259b5-8ebb-4a7e-9845-e63afd60dc2b
  3. I cant download Windows multi-ISO for Mac in UK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cant download Windows multi-ISO for Mac in UK: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-download-windows-multi-iso-for-mac-in-uk/754259b5-8ebb-4a7e-9845-e63afd60dc2b
  4. I cant download Windows multi-ISO for Mac in UK

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. windows 10 installation on new pc from ISO without a media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 installation on new pc from ISO without a media creation tool: can I do the install without the media creation download as I already have the ISO. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-installation-on-new-pc-from-iso-without/ea3d2317-3c14-41d2-9582-84747c453568
  6. windows 10 installation on new pc from ISO without a media creation tool

windows 10 installation on new pc from ISO without a media creation tool: can I do the install without the media creation download as I already have the ISO. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-installation-on-new-pc-from-iso-without/ea3d2317-3c14-41d2-9582-84747c453568
  7. windows 10 installation on new pc from ISO without a media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Unable to download Windows 8.1 ISO file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to download Windows 8.1 ISO file: I tried downloading a windows 8.1 ISO file on my computer to improve its performance in comparison with windows 7. However, whatever language-region I select, it shows an error message telling me that "certain users, entities or regions are restricted to not using the...
  9. Unable to download Windows 8.1 ISO file

Unable to download Windows 8.1 ISO file: I tried downloading a windows 8.1 ISO file on my computer to improve its performance in comparison with windows 7. However, whatever language-region I select, it shows an error message telling me that "certain users, entities or regions are restricted to not using the...
  10. Can't download windows 11 iso?? Device is Galaxy z 5 fold

Can't download windows 11 iso?? Device is Galaxy z 5 fold: Hey homi3s. I'm trynna download windows 11 iso and then create usb on android. So I can reinstall windows on my bra d new hp laptop that was toast from the box Help me...