Windows 10: Issue creating bootable USB drive

Discus and support Issue creating bootable USB drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance. I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ptlsttch, Jul 3, 2018.

1. ptlsttch Win User

Issue creating bootable USB drive

Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance.

I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu Linux distro (dual boot) working on it. Unfortunately after getting it finally functional (Cheery Trail processors are not good with Linux and its 32bit UEFI), I made n error when changing the desktop environment and eventually ended up having to delete it and reinstall WIndows and find all the drivers etc to get Windows function properly again. I thought I'd give it another go with dual boot, but I have this problem that I cant seem to figure out.

SO i formatted my flash drive after the install and then when I decided to get the Ubuntu ISO on the drive I realised it wasn't reading. In Disk management it was unallocated space, MBR. I couldnt do anything there to get it functional. SO I used EaseUS and formatted etc and converted to GPT. It seemed to be reading and working fine then.
    Now when I run rufus and try to create a bootable USB i just end up with the flash drive unreadable (small partition of a few MB (fat12) and the rest unallocated space. This is the case with 2 flash drives now. There are no errors with the blocks. When I use rufus its GPT, fat32, default block size and I go with DD otherwise it wont boot on my laptop. And obviously it worked the first time as I was able to install Ubuntu.

Thanks so much again.

:)

ptlsttch, Jul 3, 2018
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Jul 3, 2018
  3. Chewy Win User
    Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Jul 3, 2018
  4. parelem Win User

bootable USB drive?

in dos:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # //where # = your usb drive
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    set active
    format fs=fat32 label="whatever"

parelem, Jul 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Issue creating bootable USB drive - Similar Threads - Issue creating bootable

2. Windows USB won’t creat a bootable drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows USB won’t creat a bootable drive: Yes before you ask yes Secure boot, and TPM 2.0 is enabled. I get to the first restart after starting to download and my pc will boot back into the USB. Yes I’ve also moved my boot drives around but when I disconnect the usb my pc it will either boot strait into the bios with...
  3. Windows USB won’t creat a bootable drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows USB won’t creat a bootable drive: Yes before you ask yes Secure boot, and TPM 2.0 is enabled. I get to the first restart after starting to download and my pc will boot back into the USB. Yes I’ve also moved my boot drives around but when I disconnect the usb my pc it will either boot strait into the bios with...
  4. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  5. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  6. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  8. Creating a bootable USB drive from a Mac

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive from a Mac: Hey everyone, need some help creating a bootable windows 10 USB drive with a MacBook Pro 2017 era. From what I’ve gathered I can’t use windows media creation tool, and boot camp assistant on my computer will not allow me to set my USB as the destination for the ISO files....
  9. Create bootable USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create bootable USB: Hi community, I'm creating a bootable usb by rufus. It give me 3 options: 1, Create with legacy BIOS or UEFI 2, Create with only UEFI 3, Create with only legacy BIOS Can someone explain to me these 3 options, and your recommendation option ? Thank you, have a good day !...
  10. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...