Windows 10: Issue doing a clean install of Win 10 on a laptop

Discus and support Issue doing a clean install of Win 10 on a laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, When I purchased my laptop it had Windows 8 on it. I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 with no issues. Lately my laptop has been giving me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KingCRZ, Sep 5, 2016.

1. KingCRZ Win User

Issue doing a clean install of Win 10 on a laptop

Hello,

When I purchased my laptop it had Windows 8 on it. I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 with no issues. Lately my laptop has been giving me issues so I did a factory reset back to Windows 8. I downloaded the Windows 10 media creation tool to a USB drive.

I made the mistake of saving the media creation tool to the USB and running the program from the USB instead of booting from it. It appeared the install was going smooth then the PC locked up at the HP screen. It sat there for a few hours and I did a hard reset to restart the install, it only boots to the HP screen and doesn't go any further. I can reset the PC and hit the ESC key to access the BIOS and other prompts.

I tried booting from the USB stick but when I try to do a fresh install it says there was an interruption and I have to hit close to go back to the main menu to and start all over again. I can get to the part where it asks if I want to do an Upgrade of Windows or Custom: Install Windows only (advanced). When I click on Custom I have a ton of partitions in there.

My question is, can I remove all of those partitions and start fresh. I already backed up all of the data I need from the laptop. I just want to get Windows 10 installed again and get it back to a place where I can use it for browsing the net and creating Office documents. I also wrote down my product key before I did this process.

:)

KingCRZ, Sep 5, 2016

2. After doing a clean install of windows 10 I'm having sound video unsynchronised problems after a while.

In Chrome all videos become unsynchronised after about a half hour also Microsoft windows DVD player does the same thing. What I have tried is a clean instill of windows 10 with USB many times.

steveRocket_763, Sep 5, 2016
  3. When doing a clean re-install of Windows 10

Can I perform a clean install using the Free upgrade?

No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do
    it through
    Windows Update
    or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update
    & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

See:

How
    to: Perform a clean install using Reset this PC in Windows 10

How
    to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Sep 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you have full backups and you've already reset your laptop, then you clearly need to do a clean install.

To clean install '10 having already had '10 installed on your PC it is not necessary to reinstall '8, so you can format your disk, assuming there are no data or other partitions you wish to keep. MS should automatically activate it.

You do have to decide if for any reason you wish to keep the manufacturer's Win 8 recovery partition.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Sep 6, 2016
  6. KingCRZ Win User
    Thanks for your help, it worked like a charm. The laptop is running 100% better with a clean install now.

KingCRZ, Sep 6, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Great- now, before sthg else breaks, use disk imaging routinely to back it up, now, and update before any major change, after any major change, and periodically. Thus you can restore to a previously working state without technical help- even if your disk fails. Also is a full backup.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage medium.
    (And congratulations if you already use this!)

dalchina, Sep 6, 2016
  8. KingCRZ Win User

Thanks for the tips, I haven't been doing that but I will start. I hope to get at least two more years out of this laptop. It will be a solid touch screen laptop for family use in the future.

KingCRZ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Issue doing a clean install of Win 10 on a laptop - Similar Threads - Issue doing clean

2. How to do clean WIN 10 install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to do clean WIN 10 install: How to do?...
  3. How to do clean WIN 10 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
  4. How to do clean WIN 10 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10: Attn: Greg Carmack Greg: I am studying your tutorial on doing a CLEAN INSTALL to try to familiarize my self with the process. Your instructions are quite simple to understand but I am getting confused on the link to the article about File History. This is what I understand...
  6. Clean install win 10

Clean install win 10: Hey, I have a toshiba satellite computer. a week ago the computer got into the automatic repair loop. After trying some methods i understood that my only option is to clean install win 10 again. So, i used Rufus to make a bootable usb and when the installation got atarted i...
  7. clean install win 10

clean install win 10: cannot create a partition or find an existing one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-win-10/72c073f8-1a63-4866-b133-7559ced90d03
  8. Clean install of win 10 ?

Clean install of win 10 ?: Hi guys;i could never do a Clean a install of win10 preview on my PC's from a DVD ISO, i get stuck here, see pic; although i can upgrade from win 7 to win 10. the DVD ISO i made was from MS. Image codes: DSC02178 4374
  9. Install clean Win 10

Install clean Win 10: Hello I used the media creation tool which I had burned to dvd to install win 10 after uupgradingfrom 8.1. I paid strict attention to any place like adv or apply to delete the partitions but found none. I did tell it to bring "nothing" forward in the process. The pc works...
  10. Clean install Win 10

Clean install Win 10: Initial state of machine - Machine Lenovo AIO, win10 home 64bit UEFI Created DVD and USB via media creation tool 64bit win 10 home and booted into both media they load as far as getting all files then reboots. System created 4 partions Disc map on 2TB disc. Partion size...