Windows 10: Issue restoring a Windows 10 image onto new 8.1 laptop.

Discus and support Issue restoring a Windows 10 image onto new 8.1 laptop. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. We have received 50 windows laptops. All are pre-loaded with Windows 8.1. We are looking to deploy a Windows 10 image on to these laptops, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarkLloyds, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Issue restoring a Windows 10 image onto new 8.1 laptop.

Hi.

We have received 50 windows laptops. All are pre-loaded with Windows 8.1.
    We are looking to deploy a Windows 10 image on to these laptops, but we are having issues with the Licence activation.

I updated one laptop from 8.1 to 10. Setup as required and ran Sysprep. I then took a system image.
    When I restore the image onto another laptop (Brand new, first time switch on), it restores the image, but the windows will not activate.
    Speaking to the Microsoft support their only suggestion is to role back to 8.1 and manually update to Windows 10 to verify the licence.

Is there a better way for us to this? Can I amend the image before sysprep'ing to help? Thanks.

:)

MarkLloyds, Oct 12, 2015

2. Recovering a Windows 8.1 back up image on the Windows 10 OS

Will I be able to restore a Windows 8.1 system image backup onto my new computer that uses windows 10, or is this impossible. Thanks for the help.

AgamemnonQK, Oct 12, 2015
  3. John 1963 Win User
    Restore to windows8.1

Hi All

My laptop dies and is now been restored from windows 10 to windows 8.1

I have a windows 10 backup

Can I restore this windows 10 backup onto my windows 8.1?

If so, how can I do this?

Thank you for all your assistance.

Cheers

John

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

John 1963, Oct 12, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Issue restoring a Windows 10 image onto new 8.1 laptop.

NavyLCDR, Oct 12, 2015
  5. MarkLloyds, Oct 12, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You need the GenuineTicket.xml file unique to each computer. Don't know about your second question. In order to get the free upgrade to Windows 10, each computer must be upgraded individually from the previous operating system.

NavyLCDR, Oct 12, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Well I read about how to start Windows 10 in "audit mode" instead of OOBE. When you first see the welcome screen, before creating any account, you press a special key combination and it starts in "audit mode" with the default Administrator account. Then you can install any applications you want, generalize the installation (if you need to) and shutdown the computer. Then you can clone the disk to the other computers. When first startup you will see the Welcome again (OOBE) when you can create the users etc. More details at the thread in the above link.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Issue restoring a Windows 10 image onto new 8.1 laptop.

1. Issue restoring a Windows 10 image onto new 8.1 laptop. - Similar Threads - Issue restoring image

2. Issues with UPDATE / IMAGE RESTORE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with UPDATE / IMAGE RESTORE: Hi I am trying to update Windows and it stays on 0 for ages, then I get an error and the RETRY option:C:\Windows\System32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version:...
  3. Restoring a system imaging backup from a windows 10 laptop to a new windows 10 laptop using...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring a system imaging backup from a windows 10 laptop to a new windows 10 laptop using...: I have been trying to restore a backup using the system imaging on my old laptop and want to restore it on my laptop, I can't see where to go to do this. Please help...
  4. Restoring a system imaging backup from a windows 10 laptop to a new windows 10 laptop using...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring a system imaging backup from a windows 10 laptop to a new windows 10 laptop using...: I have been trying to restore a backup using the system imaging on my old laptop and want to restore it on my laptop, I can't see where to go to do this. Please help...
  5. Restoring a system imaging backup from a windows 10 laptop to a new windows 10 laptop using...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. installing a system image onto a new device

installing a system image onto a new device: Win10 pro is my OS system image available Am I required to purchase a Win10 pro system on my new computer or is any Win10 system appropriate to use the system image backup?...
  7. Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Pro on a new desktop. I have created before an image of Windows 7 system on my older PC. I was wondering if I create a virtual drive in Windows 10 (on Hard Disk), whether it's possible to restore the Windows 7 image on the virtual drive ?? 125591
  8. Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10

Restoring Windows 7 Image onto virtual drive in Windows 10: Hi, I have Windows 10 Pro on a new desktop. I have created before an image of Windows 7 system on my older PC. I was wondering if I create a virtual drive in Windows 10 (on Hard Disk), whether it's possible to restore the Windows 7 image on the virtual drive ??...
  9. System Image restore issue.

System Image restore issue.: Upon getting my computer back from repair, I tried to restore my system image. The ssd and HDD are still the same. But when I run the system image, I get a "inaccessible boot device" Stop code. I've discovered that the problem is, the system image is restoring the SSD...
  10. file history- problem restoring file history onto new laptop

file history- problem restoring file history onto new laptop: I have a file history created from a win8 laptop on a remote drive and want to ''restore'' this onto my new win 10 laptop. I'm currently signed in as the same user as per win 8. Opening "file history" and clicking, "I want to use a previous backup.....", displays this...