Windows 10: issue with 3rd failure to start and recovery keyboard not responding

Discus and support issue with 3rd failure to start and recovery keyboard not responding in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I force reboot the PC during boots, after the third or the third time, win10 loads the recovery console screen where you select your keyboard.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Nov 11, 2017.

1. issue with 3rd failure to start and recovery keyboard not responding

If I force reboot the PC during boots, after the third or the third time, win10 loads the recovery console screen where you select your keyboard.

The blue screen then win10 asks you to select your keyboard layout.
    However even with a ps2 or usb keyboard attached, I can not select anything on the screen. I ran a SFC and it comes back ok.
    It is like their is no keyboard attached to the PC.
    If I boot a usb win 10 recovery drive , then I can select a keyboard, both keyboard and mouse work fine

So how to fix that?

This screen here. Keyboard caps light goes on and off, just nothing works.

Is win10 NOT loading a keyboard or mouse driver?
    I use a wireless usb keyboard and mouse. The wireless keyboard works in the bios screen.
    I tried a ps2 keyboard, I did not try a directly connected to the pc by wire mouse.

LUCKILY, if you power off, and boot again, windows will go to the desktop.

:)

sdowney717, Nov 11, 2017

2. Power Failure - Unable to start computer past blue inaccessible boot device

SOOOO FRUSTRATING!

We have an older Dell Insperion One, (Touch Screen) Desktop

Originally shipped with Windows7 There are not any recovery disks. Windows has been updated several times and is now at Windows10.

Power Failure

Now on Start Up - We get the DELL Screen, followed by the Windows screen.

Than there is a blue screen that states an error: Inaccessible boot device

Next screen is "preparing auto repair"

Next screen is "choose your keyboard layout"

Cannot select anything on the screen. Keyboard, Mouse and touch screen will not respond. Cant go any further.....

Barbara L.Carroll, Nov 11, 2017
  3. Device not responding to Keyboard and Unable to change font in WordPad.

Hi Donna, Thank you for the response. I use HP desktop Slimline 260, Windows 10 #1709, IE11 & Edge. Each time I check Windows response is: All drivers completely installed (which I doubt).

I use WordPad often, no problem changing font til' today. Worked fine yesterday.

However, I had difficulty today getting this PC operating right.. It was not responding at all to

the keyboard(although lite was on) until I turned power off, shut down completely and then On and it restarted OK.

Except changing the font in wordpad. Naturally this happens exactly the time I must use it.

klaro 1590, Nov 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

issue with 3rd failure to start and recovery keyboard not responding

Go into your BIOS or UEFI settings and make sure in USB settings that legacy USB devices is enabled.

NavyLCDR, Nov 11, 2017
  5. Hi, there is no such setting in the bios, and anyway, the wireless keyboard works in the bios setting screen.
    Whether the mouse part built into the wireless Ri mini type device works, no way to test.

Does that windows page work with a keyboard or does it need a mouse,
    AND,

if I boot up a win10 recovery drive as in boot from the thumb drive loaded with the windows 10 recovery drive, , it will display that same page and my wireless keyboard an mouse work fine.

sdowney717, Nov 11, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's difficult to offer assistance when you haven't told us exactly which model of computer and/or motherboard you have.

NavyLCDR, Nov 12, 2017
  7. sdowney717, Nov 12, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

Try loading the BIOS defaults then reboot in case the settings have become corrupted.

Steve C, Nov 12, 2017
  9. I changed cmos battery, then looking at bios, there are no options for keyboard. There is one option for ps2 mouse, it set to automatic.

Anyway, if my keyboard works in the bios, it ought to work with the windows recovery screen, you would think so.

I could plug in a ps2 moue and force reboot to see, but why bother. MS recovery does not see a ps2 keyboard, it does see both keyboards and the usb wireless mouse if I boot a MS USB recovery drive that I created that has the recovery tools.

sdowney717, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. issue with 3rd failure to start and recovery keyboard not responding - Similar Threads - issue 3rd failure

2. Post update-failure issues- Windoes is not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Post update-failure issues- Windoes is not responding: Hello,I have Lenovo thinkpad T460 with Windows 10 64x. Around two months ago, an update was notified and I selected update and shutdown. After that it started updating the system, I waited for more than half hour, but the system was still updating. I had to force shutdown the...
  3. Post update-failure issues- Windoes is not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Post update-failure issues- Windoes is not responding: Hello,I have Lenovo thinkpad T460 with Windows 10 64x. Around two months ago, an update was notified and I selected update and shutdown. After that it started updating the system, I waited for more than half hour, but the system was still updating. I had to force shutdown the...
  4. Post update-failure issues- Windoes is not responding

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recovery Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Failure: I was having an issue with my keyboard and tried running recovery to go back to a few days ago to try and fix it. The recovery failed and the laptop froze. When it booted back up it goes into an endless "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. I have tried booting to recovery...
  6. Recovery Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Failure: I was having an issue with my keyboard and tried running recovery to go back to a few days ago to try and fix it. The recovery failed and the laptop froze. When it booted back up it goes into an endless "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. I have tried booting to recovery...
  7. Recovery Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Recovery Failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Recovery Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Persistent issues with partial keyboard "failure"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Persistent issues with partial keyboard "failure": I have been having this recurring issue on one of my laptops whereby the keyboard partially stops working after a random time. Sometimes this issue can occur after an hour of use, or after several hours. This issue causes me to be unable to type out anything in any programs...