Windows 10: Issue with File Explorer NOT keeping column headings (e.g. Name-Owner)

Discus and support Issue with File Explorer NOT keeping column headings (e.g. Name-Owner) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys This has been an issue for sometime and is annoying me now *Mad. The issue: Column headings not remaining in the same order and/or not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by N9NU, Mar 19, 2017.

1. N9NU Win User

Issue with File Explorer NOT keeping column headings (e.g. Name-Owner)

Hi guys

This has been an issue for sometime and is annoying me now *Mad. The issue: Column headings not remaining in the same order and/or not showing up at all. Despite clicking on the view option to 'apply to all folders', they keep (on most occasions) changing order and in specific 'owner' seems to disappear. I specifically want the exact layout as shown below in each explore window (music & pictures are okay with another layout).

--Name------Size----Date modified----Type----Owner

Issue with File Explorer NOT keeping column headings (e.g. Name-Owner) [​IMG]

So...can someone tell me where in the registry to look for a setting to lock these &*(&&^& headings into place ? There has to be something that will lock this into place.

Tnx

Tim
    ARS

:)

2. why won't column headings in File Explorer (Windows 10) stay the way I set them??

This should be a no-brainer! Each time I go to File Explorer I have to re-set the names of the column headings. Why??? And is there a SIMPLE way to fix a BASIC thing???

Xanadoodoo, Mar 19, 2017
  3. JimmyPhd Win User
    File explorer

Using Windows 10, not installed the update yet. Still have Office 2010 Pro & have a 64-bit HP computer. For years I have attempted to find a default setting for File (Windows) Explorer with the view setup for the Navigation pane on the left & Files, etc.
    listed on right side. I want to make a default setup on the right side that automatically shows the file information in the heading bar as follows (left to right):

Name; Date Modified; Date last saved; Size; & Automatically size all columns to fit--nothing more. The main thing that is frustrating me is that when I go to another folder on the left side, the headings on the right listing the files and their information
    revert back and insert Type and the default width of the columns regardless of the filename length, date created, date last saved, etc. This reversion to reinserting Type (I know what these are) and reinserting the default column width, etc. is a time-consuming
    pain. What can I do to set this default so all columns in Explorer automatically adjust to the width and heading I set; thus, omitting the Type, and omit other unneeded headings on the right side
    without doing these settings manually? I've tried everything I can find to establish a standard default for all of File Explorer without success. Thank you. Jim

JimmyPhd, Mar 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this sort of inconsistency seems, from what I've observed from reports, to affect some users, but not others. If I set particular columns for particular folders, they stay set.

Unfortunately I can't recall seeing a resolution. I do know it's been discussed here a number of times, so there may be someone here who knows.

However, I have attached a comparison of the registry before and after adding Owner to Drive E: (just as an example) as you ask where this is held in the registry. Personally I would view this as illustrating the difficulty of trying to solve this from a registry viewpoint.

Not all the changes listed (it's quite a short list) will be relevant, of course.

dalchina, Mar 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Issue with File Explorer NOT keeping column headings (e.g. Name-Owner) - Similar Threads - Issue File Explorer

2. File Explorer Tags column

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Tags column: Hello How do I get PDF tags to show in the File Explorer Tags column? please see image below.Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-tags-column/20e8c79b-6499-4e5e-bf02-3247f28ab7c9
  3. Very small head name of programs and in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very small head name of programs and in file explorer: Hi, for some reason, this strange bug has appeared and I have no idea how to fix it - There will be probably some registry entry that does change it, but I am not aware of it. Does anyone know how to fix this strange effect?...
  4. Very small head name of programs and in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very small head name of programs and in file explorer: Hi, for some reason, this strange bug has appeared and I have no idea how to fix it - There will be probably some registry entry that does change it, but I am not aware of it. Does anyone know how to fix this strange effect?...
  5. File Explorer Ratings Column

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Ratings Column: 1. How do I unrate a file. There is no 0 star option?2. How to rate folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-ratings-column/d01892b5-44d6-4b09-840e-bcdac7dbe284
  6. Owner Name, File Details

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Owner Name, File Details: I recently changed my User name from my email to my actual name so that my file locations were easier to interact with, that went well. However, I now notice that when I go to Properties and then Details of any file that the Owner name is Desktop\MyEmail so I then changed the...
  7. file explorer columns

file explorer columns: The problem is since update to version 1909 the bit rate is not showing in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-columns/a243c5e2-ac14-4cae-b62e-895a75d97cae
  8. Last column of list view in File Explorer issue

Last column of list view in File Explorer issue: When I double click to open a file in the last column to the right side of the list view in File Explorer, and there are long file names among the list so the last column is not completely in the window, instead of opening the file, it advances to the next column. Then I have...
  9. File Explorer Column Headings

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Column Headings: Hello, Each time I make a new folder to store there some media files such as music or video, imediantly the column headings (automaticaly) are (except the name), as follows: # , Title, Contributing Artists, Album. So I have to click on each heading to change it (except...
  10. Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them: Having set Win 10 columns (types and positions) I’ve several times used the option to apply this to ALL. But this never seems to survive, even within a session (i.e. before a reboot). Is there a registry hack or a freeware tool that can achieve this reliably please? And can...