Windows 10: Issue with Libre Office Portable following Creators Update install.

Discus and support Issue with Libre Office Portable following Creators Update install. in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Following the Creators Update installation Libre Office portable won't open from my standard user account. Double clicking a .doc file neither launches... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Kol12, May 4, 2017.

1. Kol12 Win User

Issue with Libre Office Portable following Creators Update install.

Following the Creators Update installation Libre Office portable won't open from my standard user account. Double clicking a .doc file neither launches Libre Office.

Running it with administrative privileges opens it but not without an error saying that it crashed the last time it was opened.

On closing the program I noticed that many instances of Libre Office remained still running using 99% CPU. Something seems very wrong here. Being portable it gets installed to a directory of your choice with no uninstall.exe that I'm aware of. I shift+deleted the whole Libre Office folder, downloaded the latest version and installed it to the root of C: but the issue is still the same.

I'm guessing a start would be to be completely flush Libre Office from the system but I'm unsure of where else the portable version stores data i.e. possibly registry etc.

It could be an issue with Windows CU instead, has anyone got any ideas?

Issue with Libre Office Portable following Creators Update install. [​IMG]

:)

Kol12, May 4, 2017

2. Windows 10 the requested operation requires elevation LibreOffice files

Hmm,

It is a bit of a pain. Nobody on the Libre Office forum seems to have any answers either. There have been at least 2 program updates to Libre Office since this issue was reported. I'm inclined to think it's a Windows issue as any version of Libre Office
    I've used works fine in Windows 7.

Microsoft themselves seem to have been a bit quiet on the subject too...

RogerBowenTQ, May 4, 2017
  3. D J S21 Win User
    DLL Windows.Application error

Thanks

Tried to run both SFC in verify only and scan now but each time got the message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

In answer to your question I was not trying to install a program when the error message occurred although I did get a message to update iTunes shortly afterwards which failed and gave me a message to attempt a manual install which did work.

A few days ago I uninstalled Libre Office and installed Open Office but these both appeared to go OK, but the reason I uninstalled Libre was because it appeared to be going slow following a recent update, Open Office seems fine.

What now?

Regards

D J S21, May 4, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Berton, May 4, 2017
  5. Kol12 Win User
    It's the same off the usb stick, I double click writer.exe and the process starts running (Task Manager) but the program doesn't open. The more I double click writer.exe the more processes open as in the above screenshot.

I downloaded the portable for testing purposes but ended up using it. I've had no such issues before I installed the Creators Update just the other day...

Kol12, May 4, 2017
  6. mike s Win User
    Something not right here.

If you are running a portable app, then by definition no file associations are set. Double clicking on a .DOC file should not result in LibreOffice Portable loading in the first place because the .DOC file type should still be unknown (or associated with something else - whatever is the default on your system).

There are many approaches to creating a portable app, but IIRC in the official builds, each component of LibreOffice Portable is loaded using a launcher program which is not named "writer.exe" and is not in the main binary folder of LibreOffice. Typically the file name of the loader has "...Portable..." in it.

mike s, May 4, 2017
  7. Kol12 Win User
    Sorry I meant LibreOfficeWriterPortable.exe. No, I permanently set Libre Office as the default for .DOC and after the Creators Update the associations for .DOC were still for Libre Office.

I've submitted a bug report at Libre Office website.

Kol12, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Issue with Libre Office Portable following Creators Update install. - Similar Threads - Issue Libre Office

2. Default Zoom level for Libre Office Writer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Zoom level for Libre Office Writer: Hi,What is the default zoom level for a Libre Office Writer document? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-zoom-level-for-libre-office-writer/309fea2b-4782-4fed-8a6e-a5209cb70390
  3. Failed downloads of Libre Office

in Windows 10 Customization
    Failed downloads of Libre Office: Acquired a Samsung/windows computer. Updated to Windows 10 Unable to download Libre Office either from Libre site or mirror site. Why or what is preventing this? Is it a setting or need a work around?...
  4. Libre Office does not start after reinstallation?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Libre Office does not start after reinstallation?: Hello, I recently had to reinstall LibreOffice. Now I cannot open it anymore. So I installed it again and tried it with older versions. Unfortunately without success. The program shows a reaction when I try to open it and also loads content, but when I open the "Start menu"...
  5. MS Office vs Libre Office

MS Office vs Libre Office: Does anyone know if these two will play nice together on the same computer? Any conflicts? Can Libre be removed without affecting/damaging MS Office? 111634
  6. libre office writer and voice regognition

libre office writer and voice regognition: Is it possible to dictate in libre office writer with the voice recognition software in win 10? You are supposed to be able to do so in win word. Thanks, Kevin 41768
  7. office online or Libre office - which is better

office online or Libre office - which is better: My wife's W10 laptop has now closed its free time on word and requires her to purchase it. I'm wondering which of the free ones would be best for her. She only tends to write up her CV and some report work on an occasional basis. I've been wondering about Office on line or...
  8. replace MS office Home and Student 2010 with Libre office

replace MS office Home and Student 2010 with Libre office: I don't want to lose all my information that is currently in word format. Do I install Libreoffice first then use add remove to remove MS to switch and keep my files? I do not know how to make the transition and not lose my data in my desktop and also two flash drives....
  9. Creator Update search issue (fresh install)

in Windows 10 Support
    Creator Update search issue (fresh install): Hi all TenForums, I hope someone can help explain this issue with win 10 creators, fresh install: Step i've done: Created a "creators update" bootable USB with media creator tool fresh install on 3 different i7 laptop 2 asus 1 hp all seems well but: when I...
  10. Creator update issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Creator update issues: I had original installed creator update in VM and the update went fine. So i did an install on actual hardware the update didn't go fine. Upon first boot up I noticed all the icons i had pinned on startmenu were corrupt, so I rebooted system when system was back up, all...