Windows 10: Issue with user folders link in start menu !

Discus and support Issue with user folders link in start menu ! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everybody, I'm desesperated because after spent already 5 hours, i can't get it solved... Here is my issue : I was in my users folders &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AnotherWorld, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Issue with user folders link in start menu !

Hello everybody,

I'm desesperated because after spent already 5 hours, i can't get it solved...
    Here is my issue :

I was in my users folders & deleted them (Download, Favorites, Videos etc...)
    Then, i realized that my start menu which has option to "ON" to make them appear, got issue with link missing.

I recreated all the forders by default with windows tools (regedit & i have all references created in reg %USERPROFILE%\* & in my user folder)

But the link is still missing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So... i've tried a last attempt by, creating a new user, & create Start Menu Places & pushing the links etc but even with that, nothing done (looks like it's more for people getting grey menu on/off)

So, my question is : HOW to retrieve the missing link from elements in start menu for :
    - Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos.

All the others links are working :
    - Homegroup, Network, Personal Folder, File Explorer, Settings, Power, All apps.

Any help/fix will be really welcome!

:)

AnotherWorld, Jan 16, 2016
  2. Roel4 Win User

Windows 10 1709 Roaming Profiles Start Menu First Logon

While testing Windows 10 1709 we have encountered a strange problem.

When users first log on the system, the start menu only shows store apps.

The links and folders from the user profile are not shown, nor the things from the default profile in ProgramData.

Some things will bring back the items:

-Renaming the C:\users\xxx\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Menu Start\Programma's folder (The system is Dutch (Belgium) ) to "Programs".

This is strange because the folder is actually named Programs, but is virtually renamed to "Programma's" trough the desktop.ini file.

-Adding a file to the C:\users\xxx\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Menu Start\Programma's folder.

-Restarting Explorer.exe

-Logging off and on again. This does not work for mandatory profiles and has to be done on each computer a user logs in.

Appearantly a C:\users\xxx\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Menu Start\Programma's hard link is created in the Menu Start folder.

This probably fixes the issued when loggin off and on. But this link does not roam, so users have to log off and on each time.

Reindexing does not fix the issue.

The problem did not exist in 1607 - our current default.

Roel4, Jan 16, 2016
  3. Change from local account to Microsoft account permission issues

So this fixed the file write permissions in my own user folder, but it still does not fix the start menu issue, as most programs adding a shortcut to the start menu add it to the "All Users" start menu, which I'm still denied access too. I have even tried
    taking ownership of the "All Users" folder, and the "All Users/Start Menu" folder. Even with ownership, I cannot change the permissions.

This is absolutely ridiculous by the way. This should not have happened at all.

ChrisRevocateur, Jan 16, 2016
  4. Issue with user folders link in start menu !

I found the fix by launching the .reg : "Restore All User Folders To This PC 64-bit"
    Regards

AnotherWorld, Jan 17, 2016
Thema:

Issue with user folders link in start menu !

1. Issue with user folders link in start menu ! - Similar Threads - Issue user folders

2. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu issue: Start menu shows only half of the apps. It is the upper part but no apps or anything in the another half. I cant find my other apps and sometimes it will close automatically in my Windows 10. I have not encounter this kind of issue before and I need help. Restarting wont...
  3. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu issue: [ATTACH] So, I reinstalled Windows 10 again, and the tiles are the same color as the Windows color, not the accent color. For example, accent is blue, the tiles are not blue....
  4. Folder in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder in Start Menu: I accidently created a folder in the start menu by dragging one app over top of another but I hesitated a little to long and it automatically created a folder. How do I remove the folder from Start?...
  5. Folders on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folders on Start Menu: Hi, Last question on customizing Windows 10 *Smile Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folder appear on Start I need to enable ONLY the following ones: File Explorer Settings Documents Downloads Personal Folder As usual via registry! In Windows 7...
  6. Start Menu Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Issues: I've just completed a clean install of Windows 10 and have been installing my programs, however some of them do show up in the "All Apps" menu until I signout and sign back in again. This is also the case when I try to pin or unpin items to the start menu. Has anyone else...
  7. Start Menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu issue: With the latest update, my start menu changed. Before the apps along the left side menu were under a Title tag "All Apps" but now all the apps are list under alphabet headings. Is there a way to reset the left menu to use the "All Apps" tag? I like the cleaner look. Rod 60273
  8. Start Menu Issue.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Issue.: Hi, I have been searching for a solution for this issue. I have checked on the Ten Forums, google, and asked friends. No on seems to have the answer unless I am not using the right keywords. I have updated to 10 from 8.1 as well as clean install. Each time this issues comes...
  9. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu issue: I upgraded from Windows 7 Home. Somewhere along the line a Windows 8 start menu icon ended up on my desktop. I thought I would click on it and see what it did. It changed the start menu to a very cheap looking Windows 7 start menu. I liked the new Windows 10 start menu and...
  10. Links in the user's start menu are not executed

in Windows 10 Support
    Links in the user's start menu are not executed: Hi there, The title says it all: The two links in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are not executed at startup as they should be. But I have no issue navigating to the folder and 2-clicking on each link. TIA 82246

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1803 settings grey menu