Windows 10: Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

Discus and support Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] You can see from the image above that random drives get drive letters assigned to them for no reason. In addition to that, I can't even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by invincibler, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted [​IMG]

You can see from the image above that random drives get drive letters assigned to them for no reason. In addition to that, I can't even remove the drive letters, unless I use diskpart, but then that doesn't stick between reboots.

Any ideas?

:)

invincibler, Feb 16, 2016

2. mounting CD/DVDs in windows 10 not acting ike normal CD/DVD drive

Problem is not resolved.

I'm using Windows Explorer to mount ISO files. (Right click ISO, and choose MOUNT in File Explorer)

The file mounts as a drive letter in File Explorer, but does not auto-play (autorun.inf is COMPLETELY ignored on the image)

If I right-click the newly mounted drive letter, options for auto-play/autorun are missing (e.g. I do not get the option to run or install from media)

if I open the mounted drive, I can see, and copy all of the files. I can even run those that can be properly run from anywhere.

executables that require the CD to properly run (autorun.exe for example) either do not run, or error out.

I've tested the ISOs on other systems that use different apps to mount ISO files (an example is virtual CD) and the mounted ISO files worked without any issue, using the exact same ISO files. I can also insert the actual CD associated with said games/apps,
    and they work normally as well.

This appears to be a problem specific to Windows Explorer, and ISO files.

If you would like to continue helping me troubleshoot this, you have a limited window. I'm working on backing everything up that I can, and will be wiping the entire PC to perform a complete, fresh reinstall of Windows 10. This will probably be completed
    by the end of the week.

jasoncollege246, Feb 16, 2016
  3. mounting .ISO files on windows 10

I think Windows 10 has a build in tool now. You can just right click an ISO file and select mount, which will then create a virtual drive.

Alternatively, you can just double left click the ISO (like opening any other regular file) and Windows 10 should auto-mount it.

Yasshiel Zhang, Feb 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

If you have not changed the default settings in Default Programs, any drive connected via eSATA, USB will automatically mount. Simple Basic 101 stuff.

bro67, Feb 16, 2016
  5. Sorry, I should've said partitions, not drives.

Partitions like the recovery ones or the EFI ones are getting automounted for no apparent reason.

invincibler, Feb 16, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    If you remove partition letters, that should stick. If it doesn't, then you have another problem.

7. bro67 Win User
    Partitions will always be available, because the MBR controls them. Regardless of what letter you assign to them.

There is no way to deactivate a Partition, unless you make it "Extended" with GParted, which you can use Tuxboot to create a Live version on a USB stick.

bro67, Feb 16, 2016
  8. Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

Problem is, as you can see in the pic I provided, Disk Management doesn't show those partitions as having letters assigned to them, and when I remove letters via diskpart, it doesn't stick over reboots.

The partitions I wanna remove are mostly recovery/EFI partitions, which usually aren't mounted anyway.

invincibler, Feb 18, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Try making up a GParted stick. You only need a 4GB USB stick to run. Then you should be able to boot up on it and remove the extra recovery partitions.

For some reason when 8.1 came out, instead of using the existing l, it created a whole new one.

When I upgraded from home to pro on 8, it created a new recovery, along with the Toshiba recovery. Then 8.1 added another, which made up four recovery partitions.

When I did 10 on my test box. I redid it as a new install, so that it was a Fresh image, instead of rolling all of the crud over from a image that I had, when I had to do a incremental from Vista to 8.1, just to install 10.

bro67, Feb 18, 2016
  10. Sorry, by remove I meant remove drive letter assignment. I've checked and there are no extraneous recovery/EFI partitions.

invincibler, Feb 19, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    You can do that with Diskpart in the Admin Command window. How to Use the Diskpart Utility to Assign and Remove Drive Letters Another is Drive Letter View. Majorgeeks.com has the best clean repository of files that is around. No malware in them. Download DriveLetterView - MajorGeeks How to use Drive Letter View. Change Delete Windows Drive Letters with DriveLetterView

bro67, Feb 19, 2016
  12. Thanks. Using DriveLetterView to remove the drive letters seem to have made the changes stick over reboots, unlike with Diskpart.

invincibler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

1. Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted - Similar Threads - Issue auto mounting

2. Mounting Bitlocker Drive in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mounting Bitlocker Drive in Windows 11: I have mounted Bitlocker Drive using FTK Imager. When I using windows 10, we can unlock Bitlocker Drive by entering 48 key in windows explorer. However, I utilized windows 11, no option to input recovery key. I have already tried using manage-bde in CMD and UnlockBitlocker in...
  3. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  4. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  5. USB Flash Drives not mounting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash Drives not mounting.: USB Flash Drives are being assigned drive letters but not mounting and can't be seen in Windows File Explorer. Here is log for the drive.Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/ConfigurationSource: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 8/10/2021 11:33:56 AM Event ID: 442 Task...
  6. Mounting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mounting: How do I mount a Windows ISO From the recovery environment https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mounting/9a0df9cd-dc2f-4395-96fd-476a711498c7
  7. VHDX Auto Mount at Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VHDX Auto Mount at Startup: [ATTACH] I'm having trouble getting a VHDX to auto mount at startup. I'm using the guide found here, but it's not working. When I paste the same PoweShell command in an elevated PowerShell window, the VHDX mounts correctly. Here's the error I'm getting in Task Scheduler....
  8. How to enable or disable Auto-Mounting of Drives, Disks, Volumes in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Auto-Mounting of Drives, Disks, Volumes in Windows: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Whenever a new drive or any storage device is attached to a Windows 10 computer, the Operating System tends to automatically allot at drive letter to it. This is not limited to assigning just a letter, but the OS also [...] This post How to enable or disable...
  9. Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10: How to: Mount Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 How to Mount a Drive to a Folder in Windows 10 You can assign a mount point folder path to a drive to have the drive appear as a normal folder located where you want. With you mount an internal or external drive to an...
  10. Prevent HDD auto-mount

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent HDD auto-mount: Hi, everyone! I've just installed a dual boot system, with two Windows 10 (one for work, one for gaming). I have a single HDD with two NTFS partitions for the two OS. Let's call the two OS Win1 and Win2. Win1 maps his own partition (system partition) as C:, and Win2...