Windows 10: Issues After Moving Windows TEMP & TMP Directories

Discus and support Issues After Moving Windows TEMP & TMP Directories in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; To save space on my OS drive, I moved both the user account & system TEMP / TMP folder locations to a larger drive. I rebooted & tested the effects for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by enthusiast, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Issues After Moving Windows TEMP & TMP Directories

To save space on my OS drive, I moved both the user account & system TEMP / TMP folder locations to a larger drive. I rebooted & tested the effects for a few days. Windows itself has not given me any noticeable issues. But I have noticed at least two programs that do not like this change. Malwarebytes & an addon for Firefox called Save Images.

The issue with MB is with the "right click" context menu in Windows. When the TEMP/TMP folders are moved, MB will not respond at all to using the right click context menu to scan an individual file or folder. It simply does nothing. Performing the same action, AVG Free is not affected at all. It performs normally.

The Firefox addon is an image downloader. You simply right click on the page with the images that you want to download & it will open them all on a seperate tab to view & then download. The issue with it after the TEMP/TMP folder move is that when you try to load the images into the new tab, Firefox will open a new tab, but instead of image files laid out on the page, there will be a list of all the top level file folders on the drive where I put the TEMP/TMP directories. A similar image downloader in Chrome is not affected. So it is software specific.

I asked on the MB forum what can I do to make MB behave normally with my changes & the response was that there was no way at this time.

To the point, please help me to understand why do these programs have issues with the TEMP/TMP folders being moved if Windows knows where they are. Windows after all is the "enviroment" in which these programs operate. Is it not in charge of "directing traffic" for all the information back and forth on your system?

Can anything be done on my end to help these programs work as intended with my changes?

:)

enthusiast, Feb 10, 2018
  2. Hydranix Win User

Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

Do you use a RAMDisk, particularly to house your %TMP% and %TEMP% directories?
    If not, do you use the default %TMP% and %TEMP% locations?

Hydranix, Feb 10, 2018
  3. iMarbot Win User
    Committed Memory full but RAM has empty space?

I don't have a RAMDisk, so I don't think so. When I type %TMP% it takes me to /AppData/Local/Temp , I don't know if that is the default location.

iMarbot, Feb 10, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

Issues After Moving Windows TEMP & TMP Directories

Hi. just how did you move those folders ?

CountMike, Feb 10, 2018
  5. By editing the paths in the environment variables. Control panel \ System \ Advanced system settings \ Environment variables.

enthusiast, Feb 10, 2018
  6. Callender Win User
    You're supposed to create the new paths (and copy any existing files from old paths) before editing Environment variables to show the new paths.

In other words you should leave the existing TEMP / TMP folders in place and create copies in the new locations.

Callender, Feb 10, 2018
  7. #1) On another drive I created two new folders. <path 1>/TEMP folder for the user account & a separate <path 2>/TEMP folder for the system. I changed the paths of the existing TEMP / TMP directories to these new folders in the environment variables area of windows. The existing user account TEMP / TMP pointed to the same directory. The same applies to the system folders (but a different path than the user account)
    #2) I did not delete any existing folders
    #3) I rebooted
    #4) I cannot see if windows kept the old directories or not. This account is not an elevated admin at the moment.

I am not sure what why would you need to copy the contents of the temp directory? Windows will recreate them as required. You can routinely delete everything in these folders that windows will allow you to and it will recreate whatever it requires.

enthusiast, Feb 10, 2018
  8. Callender Win User

Well I've only ever moved TEMP / TMP when I was using a RAMdisk. Anyway from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Can I move my TEMP and TMP data to a RAMDisk - Microsoft Community

I know that RAMdisk is being discussed but surely the same applies when moving to any other drive?

If your browser or other application is following system defined paths then the new locations should works but if files in temp folders are missing because they were not copied across then it could cause problems.

EDIT: Aslo from this source:

How do I change the location of the Windows temporary files folder - and should I?

Callender, Feb 10, 2018
  9. Callender Win User
    Callender, Feb 10, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    Well windows disk cleanup excludes temp files that are newer than 7 days old but it's done that way so that it won't cause problems.
    You could change this setting with a registry hack:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary Files
    by setting a lower value for "last access" but personally I leave it set to 1 - in other words 24 hours.
    Also see Ccleaner recommended settings for temp files:

Issues After Moving Windows TEMP & TMP Directories [​IMG]

In other words some temp files are important.

Callender, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Issues After Moving Windows TEMP & TMP Directories - Similar Threads - Issues Moving TEMP

2. Big .tmp files in %temp%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Big .tmp files in %temp%: Hi, recently I noticed that i need more space on my C: drive and I found a lot of big .tmp files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folder [from 500MB to 800MB]. The problem is that the Windows is showing 16GB of Temp files, but disk cleanup can delete only 25MB, Any...
  3. Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp

in Windows 10 Support
    Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp: I was recently looking in C:\Windows\Temp and found many (hundreds) of folders in this directory. These folders each contains a file called "tmp00000000", these files are zero length. The folders in Windows\Temp are all in the form "tmp00000xxx" or "tmp0000xxxx", where...
  4. Is there a way to change TEMP & TMP directorys and still can use the troubleshooter?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to change TEMP & TMP directorys and still can use the troubleshooter?: So I have a SSD only for the windows and programs and a HDD for the rest of my files, the SSD was almost full so I decided to change the TEMP and TMP folder to the HDD that had a lot of empty space... Problem is, after that microsoft store isn't working and gives me the error...
  5. Theres a way to change TEMP & TMP directorys and still can use the troubleshooter?

Theres a way to change TEMP & TMP directorys and still can use the troubleshooter?: So I have a SSD only for the windows and programs and a HDD for the rest of my files, the SSD was almost full so I decided to change the TEMP and TMP folder to the HDD that had a lot of empty space... Problem is, after that microsoft store isn't working and gives me the error...
  6. What uses Tmp and temp?

in Windows 10 Support
    What uses Tmp and temp?: The Windows OS uses those folders. In the old days, you could safely delete anything in those folders as it didn't matter. Now days, I'm pretty sure Windows 10 will monitor delete and update as necessary. 148332
  7. Issues with profile as data moved to Temp folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues with profile as data moved to Temp folder: Everything has been moved to a C:\Users\TEMP folder. When I copy files back to This PC's c: drive (i.e. Documents, Downloads) the files are being synchronized with the TEMP folder files. I don't see any update history - any idea what happened here? Is there some kind of...
  8. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp: Hello Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp? If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I am an administrator. Even if I log on as "Administrator," I get the same message saying I need administrator approval. I...
  9. unable to create the directory "C:\users\tom\appdata\local\temp\*.tmp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to create the directory "C:\users\tom\appdata\local\temp\*.tmp: trying to install visual studio code and this message pops up immediately. "Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\users\tom\appdata\local\temp\*.tmp" error 5 access is denied I tried taking ownership at appdata point but still no go. Is there some permission or...
  10. Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location: Hi, I was wondering if it's alright or not a good idea to change the path of TEMP/TMP folder? I have SSD(C) as my OS and apps like PS, Maya etc. and HDD(D) to just store things and apps that performance is not really concerned. I had Win7 before recently upgraded to Win10 and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after relocating windows temp