Windows 10: Issues enabling Enhanced Session on 10 Pro VM

Discus and support Issues enabling Enhanced Session on 10 Pro VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello guys! This is my first post here, so go easy on me *Smile I have been racking my brain, and have done search after search on how to solve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Dave M, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Dave M Win User

Issues enabling Enhanced Session on 10 Pro VM

Hello guys!

This is my first post here, so go easy on me *Smile

I have been racking my brain, and have done search after search on how to solve my issue, but I have come to no suitable solution as of yet. I've seen that folks have been able to solve the problem, but no description as to what they did to solve it. It's almost like it just magically starts working *Smile I've had no such luck as of this writing.

Here is the problem:

I am attempting to install Windows 10 Pro x64 build 14393 on a Hyper-V Host which is running the same OS.

I have created the VM with no issues and installed with no issues. I can not for the life of me find out why I can not enable the features of enhanced session to be able to connect external drives, USB sticks, enable audio and enhanced graphics, etc.

So far the steps I have taken include:

1) VM created as Generation 2
    2) Verified "Allow enhanced session mode" is checked in Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode Policy server settings
    3) Verified "Use enhanced session mode" is checked in Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode user settings
    4) Verified all integration services are checked under the VM settings
    5) Verified Remote Desktop Services service is running on VM

Perhaps there is something I am missing? At this point, when I connect to the VM there is no ability to connect to local resources. Additionally, the "Enhanced session" option under the View menu on the VM is greyed out.

Any assistance in getting this resolved would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Dave M, Nov 23, 2016
  2. saywhut Win User

Hyper-V functionality

I have this exact same issue. I bought a dedicated video card for my VMs to use with RemoteFX and it works, but the Enhanced session mode is disabled once you add the remote fx adapter. Enhanced session mode greatly increases the experience with the VM
    and I feel it would be counter intuitive if you had to do that trade off.

I suppose is a wait and see game from here to see if it gets resolved.

saywhut, Nov 23, 2016
  3. D_Watson Win User
    Win10 Hyper-V Connect... no options for audio, etc

I have setup Hyper-V and have a VM that runs. I have enabled Enhanced Session on both server and client. When I slect the VM in Hyper-V Manager, R-click, and select Connect... I am expecting a dialog to allow setting up things like passthrough of hosts audio
    devices. I do not get any connect options box. It just starts the VM Connection and no box appears.

How can I get at these connect options?

D_Watson, Nov 23, 2016
  4. Dave M Win User

Update:

So I was able to get an Enhanced Session to work... In a less than ideal fashion *sarc

When I was experiencing issues related to my original post, I was running the VM just after completing the install in Audit mode for the purpose of creating a reference image for machines I provide to my customers as part of a surveillance system integration. I could only get enhanced sessions to work after shifting out of audit mode and creating the initial user account.

I have a lot of software that needs to be installed which I would like to deploy as part of a system image, and I need to create several different versions based on different software packages. Performing this in a virtualized environment seemed like the ideal scenario.

All of the software I use I have on a USB thumb drive I would like to make available to the VM.

Ideally I need a way to run Audit mode in an enhanced session so I can get USB pass-through to function. Alternatively, I suppose I could create another VHD to attach to the VM with all the installation files/themes/WIM, etc. for the software I need to install.

Does anyone know of a way to make USB media available to a VM in Audit mode? Do I just need to create a bunch of VHD to simulate my thumb drive and usb drive to store the image file I plan to create once I have the reference image ready?

Again, all help is appreciated!

Dave M, Nov 23, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Enhanced session does not work in Windows special modes Safe Mode and Audit Mode. The most practical alternatives are to create an additional VHD, mount it on host to copy all necessary files and installers to it, unmounts it and attach it to vm, or to use a cloud service like OneDrive to copy necessary assets.

More about customizing Windows deployment image in Audit Mode using a Hyper-V vm: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums

6. Dave M Win User
    Hi Kari, the guide you linked is the one I've been using for the last year or so. I see you wrote that *Smile Thanks!

I do have other questions regarding the creation of a deployment image I'd love to run by you, but they don't really pertain to virtualization so this is likely not the right place to start asking.

Again, thanks for everything you do for the community, I've been using your material for a while now. Guess I never realized this was where it was.

Thanks for the explanation here as well... I was afraid of that... Would a different hypervisor like VirtualBox or VMware Workstation be better suited to this process since they allow you to mount an ISO to deploy the enhancement extensions? Or do they also not work in safe or audit mode?

Dave M, Nov 23, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Just ask, anything. No answers guaranteed but if we know the answers, we will reply *Smile

To mount a USB flash drive is not possible, but if you have a normal external USB hard disk you can copy everything you need to it on host, use host Disk Management to set the external HDD offline, then add it as hard drive to a vm. Notice that flash drives cannot be set offline, therefore they cannot be mounted on Hyper-V vm.

I use Hyper-V exclusively, can't answer your questions about VirtualBox and VMware.

8. cereberus Win User

I simply create an iso of the flash drive using imgburn and mount it as a cd which saves taking hdd offline etc.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Issues enabling Enhanced Session on 10 Pro VM - Similar Threads - Issues enabling Enhanced

2. Cannot Use 'Enhanced Session' on Win11 Pro Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Use 'Enhanced Session' on Win11 Pro Hyper-V VM: I tried to use 'Enhanced Session' via Remote Desktop, but it is still not successful. Even though I configured to enable 'Remote Desktop' on the guest operating system, but it is still not successful. I also enabled Enhanced Session Modes below.Host: Win11 Pro Hyper-VGuest:...
  3. Cannot Use 'Enhanced Session' on Win11 Pro Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Use 'Enhanced Session' on Win11 Pro Hyper-V VM: I tried to use 'Enhanced Session' via Remote Desktop, but it is still not successful. Even though I configured to enable 'Remote Desktop' on the guest operating system, but it is still not successful. I also enabled Enhanced Session Modes below.Host: Win11 Pro Hyper-VGuest:...
  4. How to enable Hyper-V Enhanced Session in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable Hyper-V Enhanced Session in Windows 11: [IMG]If you want to enable Hyper-V Enhanced Session in Windows 11, here is how you can do that. If you are using Hyper-V on the latest version of Windows, you can undoubtedly follow this step-by-step guide to turn on Enhanced Session mode in Hyper-V. Even if it is grayed out,...
  5. Enhanced Session Login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enhanced Session Login: Hi. I am new with Hyper-V, and I've encountered login troubles. I have a laptop with Windows 10 for Workstations; there I have created a VM with Windows 10 Pro under my work account. When I am running VM in normal mode, I have no problems; but, when I switch to enhanced...
  6. Enable Multiple RDP Sessions for Windows 10 PRO

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable Multiple RDP Sessions for Windows 10 PRO: Is there any feature or license to Enable Multiple RDP Sessions for Windows 10 PRO? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-multiple-rdp-sessions-for-windows-10-pro/6ff26862-516c-4f3a-a6dc-525d1948ebe0
  7. Enhanced Session Mode question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Enhanced Session Mode question: I have a vi-Boot created W10 system that has "Enhanced Session mode" set. Yet when I attempt activate it, the "Enhanced session" is grayed out in the VIEW menu. Is this caused by something that vi-Boot causing ? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks 165219
  8. Win 10 Pro Hyper V Enhanced session Greyed out no sound for VM

Win 10 Pro Hyper V Enhanced session Greyed out no sound for VM: I installed window Vista using the tutorials I found here for Hyper V on Window Pro 10 . When adding Enhanced Session it is greyed. I tried using Power Shall With Admin permission and typed : Get-VMHost | fl -Property EnableEnhancedSessionMode This is what I got back :...
  9. Win 10 Pro Hyper V Enhanced session Greyed out no sound for VM

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Pro Hyper V Enhanced session Greyed out no sound for VM: I installed window Vista using the tutorials I found here for Hyper V on Window Pro 10 . When adding Enhanced Session it is greyed. I tried using Power Shall With Admin permission and typed : Get-VMHost | fl -Property EnableEnhancedSessionMode This is what I got back :...
  10. Enhanced Session Mode

Enhanced Session Mode: I have Windows 10 Build 10041 and created a VM in Hyper-V using a Windows XP SP3 iso. After initial setup, Windows XP is missing many drivers, including network so I can't copy driver files to the VM. Is there a way to enable usb support or anything else that will allow me to...