Windows 10: Issues installing W10 over W7 - then installing Fall Update over fault

Discus and support Issues installing W10 over W7 - then installing Fall Update over fault in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been dealing with issues for over two years. Should have started with a clean install. My issues mostly have to do with startup and the Desktop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nisko, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

Issues installing W10 over W7 - then installing Fall Update over fault

I have been dealing with issues for over two years. Should have started with a clean install. My issues mostly have to do with startup and the Desktop. If anyone thinks they may be able to help me fix these issues, I'll list them. If not, I will have to bite the bullet and do a clean install (over 100 apps and all the settings). Ugh!!

:)

Nisko, Nov 8, 2017

2. Installing W10 over W7 results in ""Windows Installation Has Failed" Error Message

I downloaded the W10 upgrade to my hard drive and tried installing it from that. It went through every preliminary screen and started to install. After about 10-25 minutes the W10 screen closed down abruptly, leaving an error message: "Windows 10 installation
    has failed." So, I downloaded the W10 upgrade to my flash drive and tried installing, and it did the same thing. So, I ordered a home edition DVD form of the software which came today. It started installation as before, but then I got the same error message.
    I did back up the W7 hard drive to an external source, and so I could simply reformat the entire hard drive and load up from scratch, but that seems drastic. My question is: I there a work-around available for this problem? I hope that someone's found it!

Robert T. Gustafson, Nov 8, 2017
  3. Installing W10 over W7 results in ""Windows Installation Has Failed" Error Message

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to upgrade.

Also refer to the help articles below and check if it helps:

How to: Fix Windows 10 Setup Failure

How to: Troubleshoot Common Setup and Stop Errors During Windows 10 Installation

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 8, 2017
  4. Issues installing W10 over W7 - then installing Fall Update over fault

Hi,
    I'd post the list you might get lucky on at least a few if not all *Smile

ThrashZone, Nov 8, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    I've just been experimenting with an old 2004 PC. I bought a cheap Windows 7 32 bit licence which clean installed fine. I then upgraded directly to the Windows 10 FCU using a USB installation stick generated by the Media Creation Tool. I had to use a few tricks to make this install work which I can advise you on if you say what issues you have. I succesfully installed the 32 bit version of the FCU activated with a digital licence linked to my MS account.

I'm now trying to clean install Windows 10 64 bit since I have the digital licence. This is proving more difficult but I'm working on it at I can't boot from any media to do the clean install

Steve C, Nov 8, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    That sounds hard to believe.

Does it have a 64 bit capable cpu ?

I`m reading your other post now.

I agree that it could be the cpu, I had an older MSI board and a Pentium 4 that I knew was 64 bit capable, because I had a 64 bit system on it, But then one day I tried to reinstall W7 64 bit (I was bored) and no matter what I did, it would not let me install W7 64 Bit

AddRAM, Nov 8, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    I checked the CPU features using CoreInfo and it does have the instructions required for Windows 10 64 bit. Windows 8 64 bit installs but not Windows 10 so far.

Steve C, Nov 8, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

That's strange, but not out of the ordinary, computers can be very stubborn sometimes.

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Issues installing W10 over W7 - then installing Fall Update over fault - Similar Threads - Issues installing W10

2. KB5034123 installed but keeps trying to install over and over

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5034123 installed but keeps trying to install over and over: This update has messed my system - I now have glitching audio and wifi issues ever since this update has been installed and yet the system is still trying to install it. How to uninstall it or clear the cache/log/registry to remove the failed versions?...
  3. KB5034123 installed but keeps trying to install over and over

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5034123 installed but keeps trying to install over and over: This update has messed my system - I now have glitching audio and wifi issues ever since this update has been installed and yet the system is still trying to install it. How to uninstall it or clear the cache/log/registry to remove the failed versions?...
  4. Windows Update installing KB5033375 over and over again.

Windows Update installing KB5033375 over and over again.: Hi everyone, I have a Windows 11 23H2 laptop which was set to English-US language. After a lot of hard work, I changed the language to English-UK and I note now that the update 2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems KB5033375 has installed...
  5. Windows Update installing KB5033375 over and over again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update installing KB5033375 over and over again.: Hi everyone, I have a Windows 11 23H2 laptop which was set to English-US language. After a lot of hard work, I changed the language to English-UK and I note now that the update 2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems KB5033375 has installed...
  6. Problem with installing w10 on w7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  7. Installation Failure W7 - W10

Installation Failure W7 - W10: Laptop couldn't install W10, set back to previous state W7Pro. Failure code 0x800707E7-OX3000D. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. Is anyone familiar with this?...
  8. Open this installer, over and over

Open this installer, over and over: This box keeps popping up. Clicking anywhere else on screen dismisses it. I used TurboTax to do my taxes yesterday and this box started appearing after I removed the CD. I can see no way to figure out what file it wants to install. And no way to dismiss it permanently. I...
  9. Installers written for W7 - on W10?

Installers written for W7 - on W10?: Hi all *Smile I am thinking of building a 64-bit W10 machine; I currently use 64-bit W7. I remember going from W98 to XP, it was impossible to install many (all?) w98 apps in XP, until the sw dev came out with a new installer compatible with XP. Same with XP to Vista....
  10. Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10

Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10: I have had to reinstall my W7 OS and intend to upgrade it to W10. Can I do so without having to download and instal all the previous W7 updates ? 66974

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to install w10 over w7