Windows 10: Issues installing Windows 10 on new hard drive

Discus and support Issues installing Windows 10 on new hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased a new hard drive recently, to replace an older one that seemed to have stopped working. I had lost access to the windows 10 disc that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by registeringisdu, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Issues installing Windows 10 on new hard drive

I purchased a new hard drive recently, to replace an older one that seemed to have stopped working. I had lost access to the windows 10 disc that originally came with my computer due to a move(I was not able to participate in packing my own things due to being in the hospital) so I purchased a usb flash drive to create a bootable usb to install windows on the hard drive.
    I have gone through the process several times, and each time the computer restarts, I am taken back to the initial installation screen and am forced to go through the process again. This is the first time I've actually replaced a hard drive, so I'm not sure how to proceed or fix the problem. I've redone the process of putting the windows 10 installer on the usb several times, using both the windows 10 media creation tool and rufus using a windows 10 iso.
    I've double checked to make sure nothing within the computer case was disconnected or loose. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

:)

registeringisdu, Mar 5, 2016

2. Upgrade issues after installing new hard drive

I originally reserved Windows 10 when I had Windows 8.1 installed on my computer. My children broke my Windows 8 CD ( still have my product key thought) and then after my hard drive crashed. The only other windows cd I had was Windows XP so I had to install
    that one instead. Now when I click on the upgrade button for Windows 10, it asks me to upgrade my comp to Windows 8.1 first. This is an older comp & I really don't have the money to go buy Windows 8 again so what should I do bc I can't keep running Windows
    XP

xMstic Dreamx, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Mar 5, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Issues installing Windows 10 on new hard drive

Just as the computer reboots the first time during install, pull the flash drive out.

The problem is that your bios is set to boot from USB flash drive permanently as the first device. Bios needs to be set to boot from the hard drive first as priority - and then you manually tell it to boot from the flash drive when you want it to. The workaround to changing your bios settings is to pull the flash drive out just as the computer reboots the first time when installing Windows 10.

If you happen to miss it - when the computer reboots into the first install screen again, just remove the flash drive and restart the computer.

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    That sounds right.

Alternately, use the appropriate function key to temporarily set the boot device to the USB flash drive, with the BIOS set to normally boot from the HD first. The key is pressed during POST (power on self test).

Unfortunately, the function key varies among PCs. Without knowing anything about the system, it's not possible to suggest the right key. I think it's F11 on my Asrock board. On some older Asus boards, it was F8.

bobkn, Mar 6, 2016
  6. Ah, it seems i left out information in a rush. I had already used my computer's bios order function to set my usb in the order. Hard drive is first, usb third. I attempted the suggested tactic of removing the usb as the computer reboots, but I ran into a similar issue to the one I faced with the original hard drive i presumed dead: the "no bootable device" error. I'm not exactly sure how or why this error keeps presenting itself.
    To give a bit more insight into what's happening, before I get the no bootable device error, I'm greeted by a splash screen for 2.2tb infinity. I know that this is basically software that comes with the hard drive, but I had never seen it until recently.

registeringisdu, Mar 6, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would recommend you make a flash drive or CD/DVD of Kyhi's PE Rescue disc:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot the computer from that, run MiniTool Partition Wizard, select the icon for the new hard drive you are trying to install windows on and wipe it using write 0s to sectors. This will erase everything on that hard drive.

Then shut down - disconnect all hard drives except for the one you want to install to. Restart from the Windows 10 USB flash drive and install to the completely wiped clean hard drive - do not manually create any partitions, just let the Windows 10 installer handle it.

Also, if you have a UEFI bios - and you probably do, make sure you are selecting the UEFI option when booting from the Windows 10 USB flash drive. My bios will give me two options: UEFI USB key and USB key. You want the option that has UEFI in front of it, if it gives you the choice.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Issues installing Windows 10 on new hard drive

1. Issues installing Windows 10 on new hard drive - Similar Threads - Issues installing hard

2. Installing Windows 10 on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on new hard drive: I am replacing a failed hard drive in a Dell Inspiron desktop with Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16.0 GB installed memory. Windows seems to have installed but on reboot I get memory "memory management" blue screen and it keeps rebooting with same message. The Dell...
  3. Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive: My friend's hard drive failed,we got a fancy new SSD. Windows 10 won't install because it's missing a driver apparently. Who knew on a blank hard drive that there wouldn't be anything on it? Anyway, the requisite file is ucx01000.sys and I don't know how to install it without...
  4. installing windows 10 on new hard drive

installing windows 10 on new hard drive: I am looking to install a new hard drive on my lap top. It originally came with windows 7 which now has windows 10 from the free install when it was offered. Will I be able to install windows 10 on the new drive. If so how would I do that?...
  5. Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive: I am installing a new SSD on my wife's computer and she wants a fresh install rather than transferring everything over. I have everything ready to go, but have a few questions about the product key for Windows 10. It is activated with a digital licence linked to her...
  6. Install windows 10 into new hard drive

Install windows 10 into new hard drive: Hi, How do I install windows 10 into new hard drive? Thanks, Joe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-into-new-hard-drive/113be997-f406-4a25-b4f3-27585853d53f
  7. New hard drive and install of windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New hard drive and install of windows 10: I need to install a new hard drive which is about to fail according to my diagnostic disk. I think I can install the drive, but I need to know how to reinstall windows 10 afterwards. Is there anything with detailed instructions to guide me?...
  8. New Hard Drive & Windows 10 Installation

New Hard Drive & Windows 10 Installation: My hard drive died, so I installed a new one. The original drive had windows 8 on it, which I had upgraded to Windows 10 for free back when it came out. The new (replacement drive) came with Windows 8. I tried to upgrade this to Windows 10, but the Microsoft site requires...
  9. Installing Windows 10 into a new hard drive

Installing Windows 10 into a new hard drive: Hello, so I recently had my hard drive in my laptop (Dell inspiron 17-7778) go out on me and I acquired a brand new one yet i never was able to get windows 10 backed up on to a USB, so i cannot acces my computer bast the boot up menu because of the damaged hard drive, and of...
  10. Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive

Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive: Greetings Sir, I have an old pc (7 years) and plan on replacing the hard drive with a new WD Black. I want to save my present drive and use it as a slave. I do not want to mirror my present drive over. Instead, I would like to start fresh on the new drive and pick and...